Not open for further replies.

evantaylor1990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, just purchased a stargate 3ds flash card (I know this is not a popular thing to do) and I was wondering does it come preloaded with NTRBoot and, if so, what exactly do I need to do to using the Stargate to install custom firmware on the 3ds? I know it can automatically play all the DS games and most 3ds games but I want to be able to install a GBA emulator or a SNES emulator, etc. Just so you know I am on the most recent firmware.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
you can't use Stargate to install CFW. If you buy Stargate, you generally don't want to install CFW (because stargate can play 3ds and ds games). If you can, return it and buy cheap $10 ds flashcard.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

evantaylor1990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand if that is the case, but what is going on in this video? (Sorry, tried to make it start at the correct time but look at 1 min 45 sec mark)

I am not being smart I really don't understand.

Also on this link (http://3ds-flashcard.com/blog/starg...ust-to-know-before-get-the-stargate-3ds-card/) under the 2nd question, it mentions that Stargate can be used to install CFW but does not specify how. This was written in August 2017 though, before it came out, so maybe that changed.

Last edited by evantaylor1990,

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Stargate 3DS is one big balony sandwich.

IF you manage to use your Stargate to install CFW you will render it unusable for playing games. It can not be flashed back since they have not developed any update for this overpriced piece of plastic.

evantaylor1990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand what you mean by that. I know everyone is pretty much against it, and it's not a huge deal I just might like to be able to emulate GBA if it's easy (using the Stargate I mean).

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I don't understand what you mean by that. I know everyone is pretty much against it, and it's not a huge deal I just might like to be able to emulate GBA if it's easy (using the Stargate I mean).
You can emulate them via homebrew emulators or VC.
And sorry, I forgot how Stargate works. It has Ntrboot (probably, not sure), but once you have CFW on your console, you can't use Stargate for DS games anymore (which is the only reason you really should buy a flashcard - to play DS games...)

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

evantaylor1990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worst case scenario: If I cannot return it, and I had an r4i 3ds gold plus, could I use the stargate to install NTRBoot and then just use the r4i for loading ds games and the stargate for loading 3ds games?

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worst case scenario: If I cannot return it, and I had an r4i 3ds gold plus, could I use the stargate to install NTRBoot and then just use the r4i for loading ds games and the stargate for loading 3ds games?
Again, we're not sure if you can use Stargate to install CFW, and if you're goin to get an r4i Plus then you should use that to install Ntrboot. And you should just install CIAs to run 3DS games, then you don't need a flashcart and you'll have room in your console for a half-decent flashcart. There is absolutely no reason to buy a Stargate - if you REALLY need all of its functionalities then maybe you should get a SuperCard DSTWO+ which would be much better.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
If you bought r4i instead, you could instll cfw via it.Then use it to play DS games and your 3ds to play 3ds games and emulators. Once you have CFW you don't need flashcard for anything else than DS games. So there is really no reason to buy 3ds flashcard, when you can do more with just DS flashcard.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can use stargate to install a CFW, stargate have native support to ntrboot. The problem of the stargate with Luma is the whitelist, I compiled a version of luma with the whitelist patch disable, with this the stargate in ds mode works https://mega.nz/#!VRFUBD6I!TX69YPt_XNQLZ6EPOyrxgQ3k25-hHS1dVQU-sDwNzN0

Exactly. And now a new release with working compiles of both is up on the official forum. But the file's small enough I'll go ahead and re-post it here. So, just use those modified copies, and have the best of both worlds. The million dollar question is how do you install CFW with the Stargate card? This is the one piece of information that doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

If you bought r4i instead, you could instll cfw via it.Then use it to play DS games and your 3ds to play 3ds games and emulators. Once you have CFW you don't need flashcard for anything else than DS games. So there is really no reason to buy 3ds flashcard, when you can do more with just DS flashcard.

Well, I would not have recommended the SG cart either (with it's current set of features, $40 should be the MSRP, IMHO), but, it's water under the bridge now. They spent good money on it. They might as well use it (unless the seller is willing to offer them a FULL refund, AND e-mail them a prepaid shipping label to return it with). The SG does have NTRBootHax pre-installed (supposedly anyway -- I can't figure out the filename it's looking for, stumbled upon this thread looking for that info). And the SG's DS mode actually works just fine with CFW. The CFW in question just needed a minor adjustment. So, they can install B9S/GM9/FB3DS with the NTRBootHax capability, and use the copies of Luma and/or Rei-Six with whitelist patching disabled to have CFW that works with the SG's DS mode. That renders most of your argument moot.

Sure, they're out a little bit of extra money they didn't necessarily need to spend if they're mostly going to use freeshop. But if they do have a use for ROM loading (i.e. to exceed the install limit, double their storage capacity, or avoid converting hundreds of ROMs they've collected that have zero online functionality), well, this is the one to get. It is future proof like the Sky+ with it's stealth emulation, but much more handy, having the ability to select a ROM from the DS menu. Said ability to switch modes without switching carts is kind-of nice too. Granted, if they want to retire my DSTwo, they have their work cut out for them.

Here's the thing. People are going to keep buying flash carts as long as they appear to be the easier choice. The "CFW master race" people don't do their side of the argument any favors by continuing to recommend a needlessly over-complicated guide, as opposed to something fully automated like my InScripted AIO.

Oh and, don't bother replying just to say that I wasted money. How can I waste what I didn't even spend any of?

Again, we're not sure if you can use Stargate to install CFW, and if you're goin to get an r4i Plus then you should use that to install Ntrboot. And you should just install CIAs to run 3DS games, then you don't need a flashcart and you'll have room in your console for a half-decent flashcart. There is absolutely no reason to buy a Stargate - if you REALLY need all of its functionalities then maybe you should get a SuperCard DSTWO+ which would be much better.

As much as I love the original DSTwo (which still has the best GBA solution after all this time, IMHO), the + version was brick bait. They tried to use Gateway's software without permission. Which GW did not take kindly to. Last I checked, owning one of those would just put you on an old version of Gateway. Whereas with SG, it's just a matter of recompiling Luma and Rei-Six with 9 lines removed. Since I have an SG now, and know about the issue, I'll probably just go ahead and do that for people whenever the CFWs get updated. At least they did pick up a cart with NTRBootHax and DS functionality, even if they did pay a little more than they should have. And value is subjective.

Attachments

• Luma3DS and Rei-Six for SG.7z
    123 KB · Views: 239

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. And now a new release with working compiles of both is up on the official forum. But the file's small enough I'll go ahead and re-post it here. So, just use those modified copies, and have the best of both worlds. The million dollar question is how do you install CFW with the Stargate card? This is the one piece of information that doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

Well, I would not have recommended the SG cart either (with it's current set of features, $40 should be the MSRP, IMHO), but, it's water under the bridge now. They spent good money on it. They might as well use it (unless the seller is willing to offer them a FULL refund, AND e-mail them a prepaid shipping label to return it with). The SG does have NTRBootHax pre-installed (supposedly anyway -- I can't figure out the filename it's looking for, stumbled upon this thread looking for that info). And the SG's DS mode actually works just fine with CFW. The CFW in question just needed a minor adjustment. So, they can install B9S/GM9/FB3DS with the NTRBootHax capability, and use the copies of Luma and/or Rei-Six with whitelist patching disabled to have CFW that works with the SG's DS mode. That renders most of your argument moot.

Sure, they're out a little bit of extra money they didn't necessarily need to spend if they're mostly going to use freeshop. But if they do have a use for ROM loading (i.e. to exceed the install limit, double their storage capacity, or avoid converting hundreds of ROMs they've collected that have zero online functionality), well, this is the one to get. It is future proof like the Sky+ with it's stealth emulation, but much more handy, having the ability to select a ROM from the DS menu. Said ability to switch modes without switching carts is kind-of nice too. Granted, if they want to retire my DSTwo, they have their work cut out for them.

Here's the thing. People are going to keep buying flash carts as long as they appear to be the easier choice. The "CFW master race" people don't do their side of the argument any favors by continuing to recommend a needlessly over-complicated guide, as opposed to something fully automated like my InScripted AIO.

Oh and, don't bother replying just to say that I wasted money. How can I waste what I didn't even spend any of?

As much as I love the original DSTwo (which still has the best GBA solution after all this time, IMHO), the + version was brick bait. They tried to use Gateway's software without permission. Which GW did not take kindly to. Last I checked, owning one of those would just put you on an old version of Gateway. Whereas with SG, it's just a matter of recompiling Luma and Rei-Six with 9 lines removed. Since I have an SG now, and know about the issue, I'll probably just go ahead and do that for people whenever the CFWs get updated. At least they did pick up a cart with NTRBootHax and DS functionality, even if they did pay a little more than they should have. And value is subjective.
You should make a PR of Luma and Rei-Six to get this implemented.
I wasn't aware that DSTWO+ used Gateway software. I figured it used it's own kernal.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should make a PR of Luma and Rei-Six to get this implemented.
I wasn't aware that DSTWO+ used Gateway software. I figured it used it's own kernal.

Well, the thing is, removing the whitelist patching (or more accurately, making the routine do nothing -- removing it would require deleting all reference to it, much more work) makes old carts that got blocked, like the Acekard 2i or GW blue card unusable (or at least it should). Luma could add an option to the configuration screen to enable/disable the patch (someone already did that with an older version, but they unfortunately did not include the source, if they had, that would have made a good PR). Rei-Six would have to add (another) check for a zero byte file to remain configuration-less.

The problem seems to be that the SG uses the whitelist to detect whether or not to run the NTRBootHax code (which works without issue on a retail system). Maybe the SG team can find a different way of auto-detecting when to run NTRBootHax. Or maybe a more subtle approach to patching the whitelist would solve the issue. For example, instead of outright disabling it, maybe remove all entries (i.e. make it look like the list ends before it starts), and reverse the logic to make it a blacklist (with zero entries, thus, everything runs). But I don't know how it works well enough to try something like that.

P.S. NTRBootHax confirmed working. It just doesn't like big payloads like my GM9 Script runners as "boot.firm" but they work just fine if chainloaded from BootCTR9. I'll be adjusting my installers accordingly.

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: SirNapkin1334

larrypretty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does 3ds-flashcard.com accept returns? I cannot find a return policy. Oopsie!
I have ever returned my stargate 3ds card to 3ds-flashcard.com(now is 3ds-flashcard.cc), after it's delivered, they insert their sd card to it and re-setupeverything, in the end it works, can't imagine what I have done. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol