Stardew Valley will be getting new content in the future

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Dec 15, 2018.

Front-page
    header.

Stardew Valley released nearly three years ago to critical acclaim, becoming one of the most well known indie titles in recent history. With console ports and online multiplayer, it was thought that would be the end for new content in Stardew Valley, as focus shifted to the upcoming Spellbound. However, developer ConcernedApe (Eric Barone) has written a blog post on the game's site, talking about the future of the game, and what he has in store. Though he is still working on his latest game, Spellbound, Barone wishes to continue working on Stardew Valley, even putting his future project to the side in order to focus more on the successful farming sim game. A new content update (v1.4) is in the works, with a brand new team of developers being hired for the first time, to help work on future updates. Until this point, Stardew Valley had been solo developed game, with publisher Chucklefish only stepping in to help distribute the game initially. Details on what exactly the 1.4 update will consist of have not yet been revealed, though previous content updates have included new Winter events and online multiplayer.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (12 replies)
  1. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    I love this game, played many hours. But I have to say, after you get to the second mine the game gets pretty stale. I would love to see more content to help this game really come into its own.

Really reminded me of the old harvest moon games in a good way, but felt a bit empty.

2. The Minish LAN

The Minish LAN Professional Bitch

Sep 9, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Nice, but I sincerely hope he puts more time into synchronising the console releases - the ones he has control of at least, since Chucklefish is handling Switch and mobile.

3. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I love Stardew, but you really do kind of hit a wall after your first or second year or so. Rune Factory 4 still hits the top of the list for these types of games for me, so I hope we get content similar to that game.

CallmeBerto and x65943 like this.
  4. chartube12

chartube12 CPT Chazz 713

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Spellbound had been renamed witchbrook. Due to other indie games already having the spellbound title!

5. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    the community has created so many mods and extra content and improvements, he really just needs to mix and match and refine a little at this point

6. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    Can't imagine how anyone can call Stardew Valley "empty". Even as far as this genre goes, Stardew is one of the games where I feel almost overwhelmed.
    Content updates could be cool, wonder how the pricing model will be down the line though if he's hiring a team for this..

7. Hyborix3

Hyborix3 Gabi

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    It’s not empty, but you’ll exhaust most of the stuff in the early second year. I would like to see a second game from them with new characters. I don’t mind waiting if it is gonna happen. There’s Animal Crossing and Spellbound coming soon so I’m not impatient.

8. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    Why not make a better game that doesn't look like snes game? He got plenty of money and he can easily crowdfunding for more.

9. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Graphics don't make a game good. I think fun gameplay is more important.

The more resources spent on graphics the less they can use to develop the gameplay itself.

10. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    So we can't have good gameplay and good graphic at the same time?

11. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    You can. I think this game does have good graphics. I think another style wouldn't really fit the gameplay.

I like the super Nintendo graphics.

What do you want? Like higher resolution sprites or a complete 3d overhaul?

12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    There really isn't that much going on though. I mean, I agree the number of character interactions is comparably large, but it's really not a lot regardless.
    New Story after joja would be nice.
    There's a lot that could still be added or improved, like making spouse and children do something other than being around.
    And I guess you could overall add a few more areas and characters for the 2nd year and 3rd year.
    Maybe even a new town and farm layout. A 2nd quest of sorts.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Let's be honest, twice to four times the pixels per sprite/tile wouldn't hurt the game