Status
Not open for further replies.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey im getting a star trek add that forces gbatemp width to shrink and takes up most of the top of my browser. have you seen this? where can i report this or what can i do about it?

Reactions: Lostbhoy

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you post a screenshot? What happens if you try toggling the site back to full-width?
the width button has no effect.

i use firefox if that matters
Post automatically merged:

Untitled-1.png

Last edited by fledge68,

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i turn on adblock plus it gets rid of it. but gbatemp doesn't want you to use ad blockers.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ooooh.... We stopped jumping around enough for me to type this....

Happens on mobile also. Far too intrusive and I don't even like star trek!

I get ads, I'm not going to complain about them directly but for the love of glob why are they so intrusive??? I'm not going to buy anything because it forces me to look at it rather than the site I came to see!

Screenshot_20230524-153456.png

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you have 'Disable advertising 'takeover' campaigns on the homepage' ticked in your User Preferences.
thank you so much. that did the trick.

i still see the links quickly appearing in the lower left but nothing happens as if there's a add block working.
Post automatically merged:

@shaunj66 oops spoke too soon. twice now the ad has snuck thru. guess this only works 80% of the time

Last edited by fledge68,
Reactions: shaunj66

OilFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does that have to be an option. Takeover campaigns shouldn't be a thing, especially not when they're as horrible as they are.
I have the setting ticked now, but if I get the ad again even after ticking it I'm enabling my adblocker.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Why does that have to be an option. Takeover campaigns shouldn't be a thing, especially not when they're as horrible as they are.
I have the setting ticked now, but if I get the ad again even after ticking it I'm enabling my adblocker.
To answer the 'why' question, that is because our ad revenue has dropped to an all-time low recently and if we don't explore solutions like this one (which affect a tiny minority of users AND can be disabled) we are going to be in deep trouble.

As was said above there is a thread to discuss ads - we are not going to start several different ones. Thanks for keeping it in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o