The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you.:)

I was quite very surprised about that high temperature of 60°.:huh:
I copied about 50 GB on Data and noticed,that my Mouse pointer stucks sometimes...
Yes,I have an old System but still reliable,usable and fast.:)

https://gbatemp.net/entry/the-pc-is-doing-a-good-job-since-2010.15920/
Sounds like your CPU is bottlenecking your SSD :P
SSDs get warm, especially NVMe SSDs. Nothing to worry about. Much like a modern CPU they have failsafes in place that will throttle the speed if the drive gets too warm. The only thing is that a lot of motherboards have m.2 slots on the underside of the mobo, where they get zero air flow, which supposedly might shorten the life of the SSD. I haven't seen anyone complaining their SSD failed due to heat though, so it doesn't seem to be a real issue.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Sounds like your CPU is bottlenecking your SSD :P
SSDs get warm, especially NVMe SSDs. Nothing to worry about. Much like a modern CPU they have failsafes in place that will throttle the speed if the drive gets too warm. The only thing is that a lot of motherboards have m.2 slots on the underside of the mobo, where they get zero air flow, which supposedly might shorten the life of the SSD. I haven't seen anyone complaining their SSD failed due to heat though, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

:rofl2:

Also the slower SATA standard ("caused" by the old Mainboard).

Thank you that you have strengthened my trust in SSDs again.:D

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use 3 SSD on the regular. 2 Kingston 480GB SDD. One as my boot drive for my main PC and one in my laptop a Thinkpad T430. Both have been used for about a year now and still show Good in crystaldiskinfo and show 98% life.

The third SSD I use is a 256GB aData that I picked up cheap to use for some longer loading games on my Xbox One and so far for the few months I've been using it I had no problems and I load into stuff faster than all my friends. Which in Destiny 2 makes them salty.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Today,since 3 hours,my FIRST SSD has a new life in my PC.
Used as Systemdrive C it´s really faster than all HDDs i´ve used before.

It´s an Crucial BX 500 3D NAND with 480 GB and the manufacturer guaranteed 120 TBs.
As reading in the Internet/Test says,this value can be by far "crucial" higher.

What are YOUR experiences with the "LIFE" of this HDDs ? Thank you for your feedback.:)

Hello.:)

It is now over one Year and the SSD is on 98% actual:

Oh55ne Titel-2.jpg

I am still using the PC daily for about 3-4 Hours.
On this Rate I think I have my SSD a LONG Time....:)

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,
Reactions: MrCokeacola

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was I right?
Did you go through disabling unnecessary writes and whatever else you could find guides detailing, cursing the random hack attempts not for being hack attempts but causing a write to the logs, only to have it all fade into the background?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Was I right?
Did you go through disabling unnecessary writes and whatever else you could find guides detailing, cursing the random hack attempts not for being hack attempts but causing a write to the logs, only to have it all fade into the background?

I can only repeat myself:

Thank you,fellow Wise storyteller who has now given me all the true facts.:D
Thank you @FAST6191 ,I am thankful from every answer from you and appreciate your professionally competent and very helpful explanations.:)

Reactions: MrCokeacola

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had an SSD before and I'm considering getting this one. Can someone look it over and check for any red-flags? The price for the size has me a little suspicious.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SBZ8YH
Have the 1TB ver of that drive and its been working fine, sandisk actually makes the nand chips for WD since WD purchased sandisk.

D

Deleted User

SSDs don´t die because of Tbw´s (terrabytes written). They die because of too many iops (OS-usage). My stone-old Intel-ssd says, it can handle 1 mio hours before it will fail.This means, it would last 100 years, assuming one year has approx. 10k hours.
However do notice: this SSD was produced in 55nm or 65nm 10 years ago, it was a high-quality product (which was very expensive for just 80/160 gbytes of storage). And it´s iops is limited to 20-30k read/write @4k sectors.

So SSDs have become much faster. But they will also die much younger today. E.g. i haven´t seen a single m.2-SSD yet, which survived 2 years, assuming it was used daily for at least 3 hours.
On the package you also no longer will find 1 mio hours mtbf. And today´s ssds are much-cheaper (because much lower quality) produced.

Today´s SSDs achieve about 500k iops. But they also thermally throttle.
Thermal throttling doesn´t help the ssd to survive longer than 2-3 years though.
SSDs now die because of same reasons why cpus die = electron-migration, guys! Electrons wander through the SSD´s cpu´s & transistors & "cuts" away some material, takes it with them & then produces e.g. a short-cut. And the smaller your nm-process is (e.g. 14nm) the faster your cpu or SSD is showing signs of death.
I collected many SSDs over the years: Many from Intel. Some from Kingston, Supertalent & even from Samsung.
I think the older they are, the longer they´ll survive. The slower they are, the longer your SSD´s life will be prolongued.
Finally this means all "TBWs" is just PR. It means TBW won´t dictate how long your SSD will work, but just the memory-cells. SSDs are small multicore-cpu-equipped computers now though (since 8 years). And we all know, that today, under heavy loads, no cpu can achieve stable operation for 8 years any longer...
Today´s SSDs die because of the controller´s death. If you don´t use it daily, you will prolongue the controller´s life.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSD have become much more reliable than a magnetic HDD. Most manufacturers offer 5 years warranty, but practically they will last probably forever (until it becomes much much obsolete).

I'm using SSD for my laptop and my PS4. I'll never go back to HDD.

Soon SSD will have more storage size (2TB, 4TB, 8TB...) and will become much cheaper. HDD will soon offer no more advantage over SSD and will be extinct like a floppy disk.
If you're talking about capacity, then there is an SSD that has 100TB of space, but only for those that can afford it.
Nimbus Data, If you can afford it, then yes you could say HDD is already obsolete.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person