ROM Hack Question SSBU How i extract the Update?

bodyXY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys, i need help!

I try to extract the SSBU 1.2.1 Update with Hactool.

This is my command:

Code:
hactool.exe -x -t nca --keyset "keys.txt" --titlekey="ACE-XXXXXXXXXXXX-4D-XXXXXXXXXXXX-6ED" "update.nca" --basenca="base.nca" --romfsdir="romfs" --exefsdir="exefs"

After extractions, i get the data.arc, the arc has 30MB less like the original one (1.0.0). If i try to start the game with this data.arc (LayeredFS), its crashed on the loading screen.
I have also copy all the other extracted files (exefs and nrr) to the lfs folder.

ArCross has no problems to open the extracted data.arc!

What i do wrong?

Last edited by bodyXY,

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK.
This is the ALL solution. Works on every game. Works perfectly everytime. No need to eVER have problems.

Click this link and go to the download. There are TWO of them. Click the "V2" one.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-simpl...t-drag-and-drop-with-titlekey-decrypt.513300/

Ok. So when you're done, you will get extract it, blablabla.
The batch file will be called: Drag_XCI_NCA_NSP_HERE.bat
You also will have a folder called ztools.
FIRST OF ALL.
Put your keys in ztools folder.
I'm not sure if it needs to be keys.dat or keys.txt so I just put both of them in there.

Basically you're done.
Get your biggest NCA, XCI or even NSP and DRAG it in the batch file.
Here's an example. If you want to extract XCI, you will get a choice of 1-4. (For updates, they will be in NSP and thankfully the process is exactly the same.)
There is something IMPORTANT to note about this program, which is very problematic that I will tell you later.
Do not mess with 2 because you won't be able to get the Data.Arc.
You can easily convert the XCI to NSP with 4.
1 and 3 is what you need to look at.
What 1 does, it extracts the game in a folder called "XCIDecrypted" or something in that same folder and you will get all of your NCA files.
You CAN do that is you want, but then you would need to then drag the NCA file in there when it's done... You can SKIP this step by pressing 3. This will extract the XCI, then when it is done it will instantly go to extract all of the NCA files and then you will have all of your exefs and romfs files. IT also automatically deletes the NCA files with this method.
MAKE SURE You have triple the space.
You need to have space for the game. Then have space for ANOTHER game (The NCA extraction) then have space for a THIRD game. (The extracted NCA) then it will delete the NCA so you need triple the space even though the NCAs will get deleted anyway, but you still need the space anyway for it to even extract.
When you are done bam. You're done.
Short version: Drag your file in the batch. Press 3. Have triple the space. All done.

SOME IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE!!!!!

This program has a HUGE flaw. If you extracted a game and it's in he XCIDecrypted or whatever folder it created, then it extracted another game, IT WILL INSTANTLY OVERWRITE THE ENTIRE FOLDER DELETING EVERYTHING.
This is HIGHLY Problematic because it causes the first option (1) to be flawed if you do it incorrectly.
If you extracted the XCI to get the NCA files, then you go to drag the NCA files in the application, it WILL FAIL EVERYTIME. The reason why is because the NCA files are IN the automatically created folder called XCIDecrypted or whatever. As soon as it goes to extract the NCA it will delete and overwrite the folder it's in and then instantly fail because it can no longer find the file... It deleted it because it has overwritten the entire automatically create folder. Very stupid design, BUT it is easy to fix. If you have everything still in the automatically created folder (XCIDecrypted, NSPDecrypted, whatever folder it created when you select one of the options) when it finished extracting, simply move the contents out of rename the folder so it wont' overwrite it.
Another fix is if you press option 3, it will extra to get the NCA, then extract those somewhere else and not fail anyway, doing your job for you anyway.
So there you go. When extracting NSP games this is a HUGE problem. So, for your case, MAKE SURE when you drag it in and it says "decrypting NSP" when it finished you RENAME THE FOLDER then, since it probably won't be able to find the file anymore, drag the NCAs in there like you did the NSP. (Again. FROM A DIFFERENT FOLDER UNIQUELY NAMED.)
Personally, all of the million of Hactool extractors, etc were nice and all but this one certainly works the greatest for me. Lets me extract every single game flawlessly. The folder overwriting thing is stupid but just odn't forget to move the files or change the name of the folder. I guess also make sure you have the correct Python version. Not sure which one that is. I got Python long ago for other reasons.

P.S.: Just going to throw this out there. Remember I had SEVERE problems with Ultimate just absolutely not working when I put mods on no matter what and came to you? I have a different name on Discord so IDK if you were able to tell it was me but whatever. Either way I doubt you will have the same problem but the reason was because the SXOS version I was using had broken LayeredFS. (I bought a legit copy thinking that was the problem and cannot take it back because it was new (Since Used Super Smash Bros. Ultimate games are hard to find and I got impatient.) Don't let this happen to you. :( )
So if anything just for no reason does not work, ensure LayeredFS is working properly.

P.P.S: If you ever have problems extracting NSP, try just pressing 4 to convert them to XCI. Then rename the folder NSP extracted or wherever they put the newly made xci and drag that into the batch and press 3 to get the romfs of the newly created nsp.

If you have nay problems just comment them.
Personally, I've never tried running an update through LayeredFS other than in Breath of the Wild which I BELIEVE it was a certain file structure you needed but as far as I Know there was no difference than you would in any other game. However, the problem is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has a special LayeredFS situation, I'm not even sure how that would happen properly with updates. Personally, I think you should wait when we don't need the entire data.arc for LayeredFS if this doesn't work for whatever reason.

Last edited by Grmmish,
Reactions: bodyXY

bodyXY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried it now. The result is the same as with my own hactool, I only get the exefs folder.

How to unpack an NSP, NCA or XCI I already know. Never had any problems with base NCA's. But unpacking an update is not always that easy like a base game.

bodyXY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, now I do not know what to do. It does not work again after a reboot. Not with Kosmos and not with SXOS

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd. So you are ABLE to get the update's data.arc, right? Because I was able to get it.
However, I haven't even tried using it for LayeredFS. Maybe later I will try.

bodyXY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Odd. So you are ABLE to get the update's data.arc, right? Because I was able to get it.
However, I haven't even tried using it for LayeredFS. Maybe later I will try.
Nop, idk why, first try after i delete everything except the data.arc into the lfs folder "works", but after a reboot, same situation like before, game will not load

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yo GOT the data.arc, booted it, it works, then turned it off and back on and strangely doesn't with a second time? That is odd...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...