Gaming SSBB Copy Protection

PirateKeef

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why the heck does everyone think SSBB will launch with some new form of copy protection or disc structure? Have I missed something? Or is this pure speculation?

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
pure speculation, mainly because Super Mario Galaxy had it, and since this game has way too much people interested in it, one can only assume so.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it's the first highly anticipated first-party sequel to a huge hit since SMG. And to cut down on $$$ lost, Nintendo would be likely to try a new copy protection method if possible.

themaniac123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It will just get bypassed so yeah
tongue.gif

falco123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yum yum I love rampant baseless speculation

on a serious note, does anyone really have the full rundown on super mario galaxy's "protection" anyway? What was it, was it intended to stop modders, etc?

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

on a serious note, does anyone really have the full rundown on super mario galaxy's "protection" anyway? What was it, was it intended to stop modders, etc?

Well, yeah. That was the exact point of it. I mean it only said "Error #001: Unauthorized modification device detected"

The game would tell th wii to read a sector that was outside of the normal retail games range. On a blank DVD-R with the ISO burnt on it it would read and let the nintendo know the copy wasnot legit. "Detecting" the modchip.
On a retail version the sector would not be read and the game would start up.

Nintendo doesn't want to lose money to piracy. Period. They've said it before they'll say it again. They've tried to stop it before (smg, divineo raid,etc..) they'll try to stop it again (most likely with SSBB as this is going to be a big seller and pirated copies mean $$ lost).

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Speculation, like everyone said. I really hope that they haven't invented any new protections. Of course it would be bypassed sooner or later, but still it's annoying.
biggrin.gif

Hellfromabove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

on a serious note, does anyone really have the full rundown on super mario galaxy's "protection" anyway? What was it, was it intended to stop modders, etc?

Well, yeah. That was the exact point of it. I mean it only said "Error #001: Unauthorized modification device detected"

The game would tell th wii to read a sector that was outside of the normal retail games range. On a blank DVD-R with the ISO burnt on it it would read and let the nintendo know the copy wasnot legit. "Detecting" the modchip.
On a retail version the sector would not be read and the game would start up.

Nintendo doesn't want to lose money to piracy. Period. They've said it before they'll say it again. They've tried to stop it before (smg, divineo raid,etc..) they'll try to stop it again (most likely with SSBB as this is going to be a big seller and pirated copies mean $$ lost).

Well if the case was the wii being able to detect the modchip wouldn't we be in the clear then? The new updates for all the chips make them stealth. The D2C was the first stealth chip and that wasn't detected by SMG. If there is some sort of new protection most likely they will make it so there is an update first and after that it would tell the wii to read another sector that most likely Nintendo has looked in to where the chips might still be detected. Oh well, hopefully there isn't a protection because I want to play this damn game. I of course support it so I will be buying it as well when it comes to the states.

vgambit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if the case was the wii being able to detect the modchip wouldn't we be in the clear then? The new updates for all the chips make them stealth. The D2C was the first stealth chip and that wasn't detected by SMG. If there is some sort of new protection most likely they will make it so there is an update first and after that it would tell the wii to read another sector that most likely Nintendo has looked in to where the chips might still be detected. Oh well, hopefully there isn't a protection because I want to play this damn game. I of course support it so I will be buying it as well when it comes to the states.

"Tell the Wii to read another sector?" What the hell are you talking about?

You have no idea how any of these mod chips work, yet here you are talking about reading "sectors."

Devrethman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that SSBB will have new copy protection, but it'll get cracked relatively quick. An angel appeared to me in a dream and told me so. (Hey, I've got just as much basis as anyone here)

Hellfromabove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You have no idea how any of these mod chips work, yet here you are talking about reading "sectors."

Seems like someone is getting ancy waiting for the new SSBB. Anyway, calm down. Your right, I don't know how a modchip works. I was basing it off of what the person I quoted it off of said.

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Seems like someone is getting ancy waiting for the new SSBB. Anyway, calm down. Your right, I don't know how a modchip works. I was basing it off of what the person I quoted it off of said.

ha. Hellfromabove is confused. It's not a "Sector" IN the wii. It's a value on the disc itself. The value is too high for a retail disc so it won't be read when the disc asks the system to read it. It's not too high on a dvd-r though and the system will read it when asked. This lets the system know the game is not a legit retail version but a copy.

haha..just don't worry about it..
tongue.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly what's the point of region locking ?

To sell more copies! If they released a game over here in the US that was region free, people all over the world could just import it and play. And when the game finally does come out in their own region, they won't buy it because they already have the other copy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol