Square Enix and Tencent team up to create new AAA IPs

seten.jpg

Major publisher Tencent and JRPG extraordinaire Square Enix will be partnering up in the near future, in order to create some new games and intellectual properties. Square mentions that through this alliance, they plan to develop some AAA titles, further their licensing of existing properties, and even create a joint-venture company between the two. A more specific explanation wasn't given, though both companies promise that more info is on the horizon. A partnership between Tencent, one of the largest gaming companies thanks to their strong presence in China, and Square Enix, known and beloved for their games and IPs is certainly an interesting development.

The alliance will enable us to couple our broad range of internet service capabilities to Square Enix Group’s superb creativity, and provide our customers with unprecedented content experiences on a global basis. Tencent Group and Square Enix Group share the vision of utilizing technology and creativity to deliver unprecedented entertainment experiences and services to a global audience.

:arrow: Source

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are sensible moves a bad thing?

The switch is popular. So id like them make an exclusive switch title that sells over 5 mil copies like mario kart 8d did. I bet they cant do it. The got a good start with octopath traveler. it sold ofer 1 mil copies.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The switch is popular. So id like them make an exclusive switch title that sells over 5 mil copies like mario kart 8d did. I bet they cant do it. The got a good start with octopath traveler. it sold ofer 1 mil copies.
Exclusives are bad things. More cross platform is the future, or at least I hope is the future.

AT-LOWDeSu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just looking into Tencent it seems like they own fairly large portions of a variety of companies. So I'm more inclined to say they are working with square enix more as an investor rather than a creative partner. Square enix probably benefits by having a separate small company for branding purposes with the added benefit of getting some resources and maybe new team members.

If anything, it'll be Square Enix 2.0-- They might use it as a chance to jump-start a new set of franchises, but they'll probably all be creatively ran by the same guys who run Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hello