Spyware/Adware/Virus/Trojan/Rootkit/Keylogger Removal Guide

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Rydian, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    <div align="center"><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u>Spyware/Adware/Virus/Trojan/Rootkit/Keylogger Removal Guide</u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

So, you're obviously here because your computer has some sort of problem.
    We're gonna fix you up, and, with a little effort, prevent problems from occurring in the future.</div>

<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b><!--coloro:#990000--><span style="color:#990000"><!--/coloro-->FORMATTING IS A LAST RESORT ONLY!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Please note that a (re)format (when you wipe the computer and reinstall windows) is rarely needed to get rid of a computer infection. A worst case scenario is that an infection infects and changes critical system files, but those can be replaced with clean copies off any install CD with a simple command. Some people may have 50 gigabytes of personal files on their computer, and some people have their computers set up a very specific way that would take hours or days to restore to working order after a format. Just because formatting is <i>your</i> choice does not mean it should be the first suggestion to <i>somebody else</i>.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align="center">Basic, Advanced, or Super removal?</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align="center">Setup</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align="center">Programs List</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<div align="center"><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Basic Removal<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align="center">Advanced Removal</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align="center">Super Removal</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align="center">After Scanning</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align="center">Cleanup</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align="center">Future Prevention</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align="center">F.A.Q.</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

2. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Dude... You copied this thread from Gaia?!

3. Rydian
    OP

United States
    I made this thread for there originally, and figured since there was no guide here on infection removal, this forum could use the info.

Thanks for pointing that out, I must have missed that when I was formatting it for this board, it was originally a multi-post thing/

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    This + multiple mentions of internet explorer = useless thread

thanks for playing, though.

Oh not to mention the formatting is terrible and the thread is a giant pain to read.

5. Rydian
    OP

United States
    If you have suggestions on the proper way to format this thread, please post them, as I have had a bit of an issue getting all this information readable, the spoiler tags help with that but I think the guide itself may need some color-coding or something...

But if you're just here to troll, I will go get a moderator to stop it.
    I was told by wildwon that if I had a guide, I could just post it right in this section.

6. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    Bookmark'd. I've got the feeling that this thread will save my sorry ass someday.

7. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Get rid of the spoiler tags, they're part of the problem

make a proper Index/Contents with something to ctrl+f to or use the anchor point bbtag

Stop centering shit

8. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Yeah, it's harder to read on a wider forum, thanks.

9. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Thank you, this was very much needed. Mods sticky this, its instruction & format is worthy of stickiness. [​IMG]

I liked the three levels of removal as well as easy to understand setup for noobies. The best part was prolly the spoilers, imagine all that without spoilers. Holy crap. That and the word "Norton" was not found on this thread at all. Very well done Rydian

For anyone using this guide in the future, FOLLOW IT TO THE VERY END. Just because the infection is gone does not mean your system is stable. The "After Scanning", "Cleanup", & "Future Prevention" steps are CRITICAL.

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Layout doesn't seem that bad to me. Spoiler tags prevent it from being just one wall of text. Useful guide to have.

11. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    This thread is pure gold. Thanks.

12. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    this whole thread makes me glad i dont use windoze anymore,

and it's a joke that if you go to any torernt index site the top searches other than media are damned security apps.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    srsly. safe mode, a program like malware bytes and an online scanner will solve most of your problems.

14. Rydian
    OP

United States
    And that's what the basic instructions are, however there's infections that will modify all sorts of things in order to prevent that. Some will remove or modify files causing a STOP error when you try to go into safe mode, some will hook into windows in order to kill any process it recognizes as capable of removing it (originally they went by just filename, but not anymore), some will entry fake DNS entries in the hosts file to block known malware removal sites or redirect to fake sites, others will set up a proxy so they can update the blocks and redirects from their end, or just set your connection up to use a fake DNS server itself...

There's plenty modern infections (especially those fake virus removers) can do to prevent you from just running a scanner, that's why this guide is as long as it is.

15. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
  16. CyrusBlue

Member CyrusBlue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why is everyone being an asshole? This is some useful information right here. I don't care where it came from.

17. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Don't remember you. D:

18. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    Why not mention 'common sense' in the prevention section as well? It's not that hard to avoid all of these problems with a bit of common sense after all.

19. NoSmokingBandit

Member NoSmokingBandit GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You cant expect people on the internet to have common sense.

20. Rydian
    OP

United States
    I don't want to encourage piracy!

[​IMG]

See?