Spectral Force Genesis translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by xvirus, Aug 20, 2008.

Aug 20, 2008
  1. xvirus
    OP

Member xvirus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi~ I've recently tried getting back into the translation scene(bit of a big jump from nes/gb to DS) and chose Spectral Force Genesis since its a pretty rockin' game. Anyone who's played it knows that this is a TON of content to work on, especially for just one person. So I come to you guys with a few questions. First off, would anyone be interested in helping if this was a wiki-based open translation? I quite like the format, though with my current programming skills I don't think I could write up any cool lil translating utils just yet.

Anyways, thanks a ton in advance... hopefully we'll be able to bring this awesome game to non-japanese-speaking audience.

Current Patch:

v0.2 - DOWNLOAD MIRROR

v0.1 - DOWNLOAD MIRROR

Progress:

After talking with a translator on this board, I have decided to make this an open translation via Google Docs. There is waaaay too much content in here for just one person to translate, so hopefully we can get some more help this way. More spreadsheets will be added as time allows, but for now I have put up a document with character names and descriptions.

Characters

2. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    Nice to see someone picked this up!
    This game was kinda hard to play in japanese, I didn't know what I was doing [​IMG]

3. Pioggia

Newcomer Pioggia Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    OMG
    this is a dream come true, had a nightmare trying to play it in japanese
    unfortunately i have no programing/hacking skills what so ever, but i'll be watching this trans very closely
    GOOD LUCK!

4. xvirus
    OP

United States
    Sorry for the lack of updates(school takes some priority) :x As for what has been done since the first update, I have fixed the font and font spacing along with adding an open-translation system. Hopefully updates should be more frequent.. maybe even a project site and alpha patch if the ball gets rolling [​IMG]

5. Noitora

Greece
    so you did a vwf, eh?
    mmm...spare us some screenshots will you?
    [​IMG]

6. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    spare us some vids, will you?
    [​IMG]

7. Noitora

Greece
    You, go to sleep.

8. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    go to school [​IMG]

I want vids [​IMG]
    they work better than screens
    and vids are uber awsome and kewler than Noitora

Vids = non photoshopped proof

^ needed this to keep this reply "on topic" ;D

9. Noitora

Greece
    Shh...I told you to keep this "kewl" thing a secret >

10. xvirus
    OP

United States
    I guess I can do a video once I actually get some dialogue finished or something more significant than just menu options :x

11. Noitora

Greece
    From your screenshots, I can see the font used in the game is the usual 8x8 nftr font I meet in almost every translation project [​IMG]
    I have a 10x10 font with a vwf ready to use if you want to, it looks much better imo.

12. xvirus
    OP

United States
    I have updated the fonts since those pics were made with some updated vwf fonts. The game actually uses a few different sizes though(8pt, 10pt, 12pt and 16pt I believe), each with their own fonts. After class today I'll take a few pics of the newest version.

13. choji

Newcomer choji Member

United States
    Well it seems like I'm the only one working on this, really thought there would be a few people willing to help with the translation.

Anyways, I've done a few of the character names and descriptions. (there's so many characters in this game) I do not know the english equivalent to many of the names so I'll write down whatever my guesses are or spell it's katakana name out with the english alphabet.

I'll continue to work on the translation but I have a couple exams coming up so the translation may come slowly.

14. xvirus
    OP

United States
    Thank you so much for the help, choji! As far as progress on my side is going, I've tossed together a java program to decompress and extract all 518 images used in the game which should help the non-script hacking side a ton.

15. xvirus
    OP

United States
    Finally found some time to work on it x_x

16. xvirus
    OP

United States
    Just lettin' you all know that this isn't quite a dead translation yet XD I'm still chuggin' away at it slowly. Thanks again to everyone who's been translating the names! So far what I've done since the last update is fix a bug with the names causing weird graphical glitches, translate a bunch of the menu text and add in a bunch more names. Once I get this one bug out of the way I think I'll toss up a quick alpha patch... should make it a little more playable for y'all.

17. eschiver

Newcomer eschiver Member

United States
    Thanks for working on this. I'm looking forward to your work. I'll try to help by proofreading whatever was translated.

18. cmccmc

Banned cmccmc Banned

United States
    I'm looking forward to see what your quality of work is. If its good I might play it even though I have no clue what the games about. If it downright sucks ill look the other way and forget I've ever heard of it.

19. xvirus
    OP

United States
    Hahaha I hope its decent enough [​IMG] Though since this is pretty much a 1-man project(besides the docs that I put up for translation) I wouldn't expect anything retail quality, especially this early on when some things are still a bit rough around the edges. The main purpose of this patch is just to help non-Japanese speaking people with playing the game and (hopefully) being able to follow the story.

20. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I've gone through most of the names all over again and fixed 90% of them, hope I was of some help. A lot of the names were... literal translations... Anyway, I hope I didn't impose on anything, I was just trying to fix up the names for you :]