Hacking sorry I don't know where to ask this.

• Thread starter kbf
  • Start date
  • Views 2,902
  • Replies 38
  • Likes 1

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am all really new to this. I think my 3DS XL is on 10.3.0-28U. I can see the message saying that there's no way to install CIA files and use CFW on sys menu above 9.2. But I thought people were playing just fine on anything above 9? I heard it's ok if you're on 10. whatever. Unless something changed?

Iv'e only known about this for a couple weeks. I'd appreciate some information. Maybe just some links to this stuff. How to hack it, best method, and how to get CIA files installed.

Reactions: Zidapi

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Should I downgrade then? i'm mainly looking to just play backups and emulators. I know we aren't allowed to ask for backups here which is fine. But are we at least allowed to provide the files in order to make them play?

I read somewhere that you need these "cia" and "fbi" files to do that. Do you have a guide on that to?

And do I have to downgrade?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I downgrade then? i'm mainly looking to just play backups and emulators. I know we aren't allowed to ask for backups here which is fine. But are we at least allowed to provide the files in order to make them play?

I read somewhere that you need these "cia" and "fbi" files to do that. Do you have a guide on that to?

And do I have to downgrade?
Downgrade

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Downgrade

Isn't it dangerous to downgrade? at least that's how it was with the PS3. But iv'e heard some stuff about the 3DS bricking or something? I heard that's only on the New 3DS models though and the 3DS,3DS XL, and the 2DS are uneffected?

And can I still play online with a modified 3DS?

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
The risk in downgrading is always there, but it's kept to the minimum with safesysupdater. And with a fully updated EmuNand you will be able to play online.

D

Deleted User

Isn't it dangerous to downgrade? at least that's how it was with the PS3. But iv'e heard some stuff about the 3DS bricking or something? I heard that's only on the New 3DS models though and the 3DS,3DS XL, and the 2DS are uneffected?

And can I still play online with a modified 3DS?
Use SafeSysupdater as mentioned, if need be.

And yes, you can still play online without any banning risk. (unless you use cheats)

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The risk in downgrading is always there, but it's kept to the minimum with safesysupdater. And with a fully updated EmuNand you will be able to play online.

Ok...oh boy this is all very confusing. So I guess the easiest method for me would be downgrading with the homebrew launcher? i'm still reading and attempting to take this all in lmao.

Does anyone have a comprehensive video guide for this? I feel like I could follow all of this a lot easier if I could see what was going on. I'm concerned to screw something up. It seems easy but I realize with these kind of things you need to be extra careful.

So I can mod my 3DS with the homebrew launcher right? well, downgrade first. And you mentioned something called sysupdater? do I need to install HB first and then sysupdater?

Last edited by kbf,

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Ok...oh boy this is all very confusing. So I guess the easiest method for me would be downgrading with the homebrew launcher? i'm still reading and attempting to take this all in lmao.

Does anyone have a comprehensive video guide for this? I feel like I could follow all of this a lot easier if I could see what was going on. I'm concerned to screw something up. It seems easy but I realize with these kind of things you need to be extra careful.

So I can mod my 3DS with the homebrew launcher right? well, downgrade first. And you mentioned something called sysupdater? do I need to install HB first and then sysupdater?
Sorry, I'm not into video guides, so I don't know of any, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask! With that said here are some links that may help you.
Homebrew methods
SafeSysUpdater

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, I'm not into video guides, so I don't know of any, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask! With that said here are some links that may help you.
Homebrew methods
SafeSysUpdater

thanks. I went to the homebrew methods page and downloaded the "homebrew starter kit" I know how have a bunch of files. It says to just put it on the root of the SD card. But is this for a certain firmware version/certain type of 3DS? i'm just being cautious as I don't fully understand this yet.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
thanks. I went to the homebrew methods page and downloaded the "homebrew starter kit" I know how have a bunch of files. It says to just put it on the root of the SD card. But is this for a certain firmware version/certain type of 3DS? i'm just being cautious as I don't fully understand this yet.
The executables are universal.

iv2b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here, i'll explain it to you:

At the moment, you have a normal 3ds, on which is installed a firmware (in your case, 10.3) made by nintendo; that firmware is essentially the operating system of your device, it makes everything work.
This firmware is called sysNAND, this term refers to your "vanilla" firmware.

To play free games through .cia files, you need to install a CFW (custom firmware), but since we haven't fully cracked nintendo's firmware, we're using a workaround.
The solution we employ is to install a second firmware (called emuNAND) which resides onto your microSD card.
However, this process can be done on sysNAND 9.2 or lower.

As a result, you will need to downgrade your device from 10.3 to 9.2, and then you will be able to install emuNAND on your device.
EmuNAND is installed by accessing the homebrew launcher, which is done by using an exploit (commonly browserhax).
Before installing emuNAND, it's important to make a backup of your sysNAND to recover your console in case anything goes terribly wrong (tho there's still a small risk).

So, once your console is downgraded and you accessed the homebrew launcher, you'll need to install emuNAND onto your SD, this is done automatically by launching an application through the launcher.
Once that is done, all you need to do is unliking the two NANDs, which is done by formatting either one. (tutorials explain each step in detail)

In short:

10.3 --> Downgrade --> 9.2 --> Homebrew Launcher --> Backup of sysNAND --> setting up emuNAND --> unlinking NANDs

Once that process is done, your device will have 2 options when booting up: running your sysNAND or your emuNAND.
SysNAND must stay at 9.2, you should never touch it again.
EmuNAND, however, can be updated at will.

Reactions: Kadin

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here, i'll explain it to you:

At the moment, you have a normal 3ds, on which is installed a firmware (in your case, 10.3) made by nintendo; that firmware is essentially the operating system of your device, it makes everything work.
This firmware is called sysNAND, this term refers to your "vanilla" firmware.

To play free games through .cia files, you need to install a CFW (custom firmware), but since we haven't fully cracked nintendo's firmware, we're using a workaround.
The solution we employ is to install a second firmware (called emuNAND) which resides onto your microSD card.
However, this process can be done on sysNAND 9.2 or lower.

As a result, you will need to downgrade your device from 10.3 to 9.2, and then you will be able to install emuNAND on your device.
EmuNAND is installed by accessing the homebrew launcher, which is done by using an exploit (commonly browserhax).
Before installing emuNAND, it's important to make a backup of your sysNAND to recover your console in case anything goes terribly wrong (tho there's still a small risk).

So, once your console is downgraded and you accessed the homebrew launcher, you'll need to install emuNAND onto your SD, this is done automatically by launching an application through the launcher.
Once that is done, all you need to do is unliking the two NANDs, which is done by formatting either one. (tutorials explain each step in detail)

In short:

10.3 --> Downgrade --> 9.2 --> Homebrew Launcher --> Backup of sysNAND --> setting up emuNAND --> unlinking NANDs

Once that process is done, your device will have 2 options when booting up: running your sysNAND or your emuNAND.
SysNAND must stay at 9.2, you should never touch it again.
EmuNAND, however, can be updated at will.

Thank you. That was very clear.

Now I got the homebrew started kit. And this is what's on my SD card currently. Before I take my SD card out of my computer I just want to know if everything iv'e done so far is correct:

https://gyazo.com/bdd34ce9783a216cf786498a45fabc64

Iv'e taken all the files and extracted the "starter" archive to the root of the SD card. Do I just take the SD card out of my computer and pop it into my 3DS now?

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thank you. That was very clear.

Now I got the homebrew started kit. And this is what's on my SD card currently. Before I take my SD card out of my computer I just want to know if everything iv'e done so far is correct:

https://gyazo.com/bdd34ce9783a216cf786498a45fabc64

Iv'e taken all the files and extracted the "starter" archive to the root of the SD card. Do I just take the SD card out of my computer and pop it into my 3DS now?
You should put safesysupdater under the 3ds folder. Also, make an updates folder on the root of the SD card, then put the contents of the downgrade pack for your 3DS there, found on that ISO site.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should put safesysupdater under the 3ds folder. Also, make an updates folder on the root of the SD card, then put the contents of the downgrade pack for your 3DS there, found on that ISO site.

Sorry. What "downgrade" pack? the one I showed in the picture I put in my previous post? as for sysupdater, I can probably find that with a quick google search.

I went here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/

there's two files:

https://gyazo.com/2a2d90bba684fb9b8d43b4e4977f8f74

I would assume I get the one on the left as I assume "3DSX" means 3DSXL?

Also I just want to note I have a 16gb SD card not a microsd card if it matters.

Last edited by kbf,

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Sorry. What "downgrade" pack? the one I showed in the picture I put in my previous post? as for sysupdater, I can probably find that with a quick google search.

I went here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/

there's two files:

https://gyazo.com/2a2d90bba684fb9b8d43b4e4977f8f74

I would assume I get the one on the left as I assume "3DSX" means 3DSXL?
You'll need the 3dsx one (but not because of 3dsxl, but because that is the one launchable from HBL).
We aren't allowed to link downgrade packs here, sorry.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You'll need the 3dsx one (but not because of 3dsxl, but because that is the one launchable from HBL).
We aren't allowed to link downgrade packs here, sorry.

I'm still trying to understand what a "downgrade pack" is. So do I just put that 3dsx file onto the root of my sd card along with the other files I already showed? then what? when I turn the 3DS on will it do something automatically or will I need to do something? I assume with the other files that were put on the SD card(the starter archive.) should I be good to go now?

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I'm still trying to understand what a "downgrade pack" is.
It is a bunch of CIA files.
So do I just put that 3dsx file onto the root of my sd card along with the other files I already showed?
No, you put it under the 3ds folder.
then what? when I turn the 3DS on will it do something automatically or will I need to do something?
You will need to boot HBL, then safesysupdater.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is a bunch of CIA files.

No, you put it under the 3ds folder.

You will need to boot HBL, then safesysupdater.

Alright. this is what I have now: https://gyazo.com/80d0229a6a1dd6ad4495e93c361338ba

The "boot.3dsx" is in the "3ds" folder. (not the Nintendo 3DS folder.) do I still need something such as the browser hax files? I know you can't link them, which is fine. But can you at least let me know if i'm good to go now or I still need other files?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1