sorry 100% new to this please help

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by uisim, Sep 27, 2014.

1. uisim
    OP

uisim Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2014
    United States
    I know this is asked 100 times a day but this is not clear to me. many posts I see are old and the info is contradicting to me...

I find info like this from r4 to many others and they al say something like:

"R4i Gold 3DS supports the newest 3DS V8.1.0-19 directly ! (2014-08-09) [​IMG]

3DS firmware updated to V8.1.0-19 ,our regular R4i Gold 3DS supports directly the newest 3DS V8.1.0-19 without any patch updating..."

Everything I read says you can only play 3ds roms on v4.x.x to 4.5 but the above is misleading to me. Does this mean a newer 3ds can play 3ds roms or does it mean it will just functions in a 3ds v8.1 but I still cant play 3ds roms, only nds games?

2. Kaphotics

Kaphotics badc0ded

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
  3. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    That sounds like a DS mode flashcard that probably does support 8.1. If you want a 3ds mode flashcard, of any type, they can only work with firm 4.1-->4.5. The emunand stuff you hear about starts from those base firmwares -- you can't do anything if the base system firm is > 4.5.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    R4i Gold 3DS is a DS-mode flashcart, it is not the same as the Deluxe version.

5. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    The problem is their naming of the product. There's a difference between:

R4i Gold 3DS (1 Ds mode only flashcard)

and

R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition (1 3DS mode flashcard and 1 DS mode flashcard).

They've been as oblivious as Nintendo when it comes to naming products except they've purposely done so to confuse buyers. This way they can sell more. Also, buyers already familiar with the R4 name are more likely to buy it.

6. uisim
    OP

uisim Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2014
    United States

so if I have a new 3ds with 8.x.x I can still play nintendo ds and 2ds games with the new r4i gold? correct?

7. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    The 2ds plays 3ds and DS games. No such thing as 2ds games.

You can only play DS games for free in your situation unless you rob stores.

8. uisim
    OP

uisim Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2014
    United States
    ha, cool thanks, its worth it to me just to play the newish zelda but as long as DS games will work with 8.x.x then thats perfect.