Sony's response with future games

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TwinRetro, Jan 10, 2011.

Jan 10, 2011
  1. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Okay, so wouldn't all Sony need to do is make just one file larger than 4 GB in the file structure to prevent piracy altogether?

2. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Then we could just split the file I guess, sure something of the like has been done before. Some games already have files over 4Gb, take MGS4 and it's 40min cgi scenes for example, all uncompressed...

3. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Whatever sony does, it can be undone.They just failed. We will see the PS4 sooner than later. Expect a release for Q4.

4. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    No matter what, it's impossible to stop piracy altogether, just prolong it

5. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    No we won't
    Sony would be committing divide if they did that.

6. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    Doubtful. They did say they were going to have a 10 year plan with the PS3, they probably won't stop that. But who knows, maybe the piracy will get so bad they'll have to.

7. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    nope.
    the filesystem sony uses for the internal HDD supports files over 4GB as far as i know, and you can just use ftp to put the files in there.

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Or maybe they'll follow up on their announcement and actually find a way to recover from this situation. Like a super update to 4.0 with an entirely rebuilt security structure that hackers will have a hard time getting through (especially without the talent of the people behind the current hacks), and obviously make all new games require that update.

It's not likely, but I hope they succeed. I wouldn't want all the game devs to migrate to Microsoft of all people...

9. MrDiesel

Member MrDiesel GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    I don't think we'll see a PS4 anytime soon. I think the PS3 still has enough power (even after all those years) to satisfy the players. Uncharted 3 is planned for 1.11.11 (cool date [​IMG]) and I assume they want the most out of it. I hope they'll have fixed the piracy problem by then, but I'm very sceptical about it. Everyone keeps saying there is nothing they can do, although I want to believe the opposite.

10. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    one of the main reasons that has made the god damn Pee S 3 successful in the past 2 years or so is that fact; not tom mention we see more GREAT exclusive PSN titles, such as Tetris for example, coming to the PS3

a part of me when i first saw this CFW was fuck yeaah, gna save my monies

the other part was like; damn it just feels like my damn xbox sitting there with all these pirated games which i dnt play [​IMG]

this whole homebrew thing on the PS3 is great, i can see the possibilities, but bit late if you ask me, it will just fall into just piracy... as usual.

11. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Why would devs switch to MS over this? MS has had this sorta thing going on for years on the 360.

12. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    My guess of how they would stop this is get a new key and sign it on NEW games only so in other words, all games released the minute before they do that, we can pirate, and the ones with the new key we have no access to...

13. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    No kidding. Devs have nowhere to go now to avoid piracy. Wii, 360, PS3, PC, and all current handhelds have been hacked to run pirated games.

14. Originality

United Kingdom
    I know, I own them all and have hacked them all. I still have a line of refurbished Xbox 360s sitting behind my secondary monitor.

It's just that in terms of difficulty to enable piracy, Xbox 360 has become the most secure platform since PS3 got reduced to the level of the Wii.

15. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    Piracy will only help Sony, which is why I don't understand some people screaming gloom and doom. No one's going to stop developing for the PS3! Today's games are so damn expensive publishers have no choice to but to port, port, port, and piracy has never meant lost sales anyway. Maybe a lost rental, or a lost used/trade-in, but those don't benefit the publisher to begin with [​IMG]

16. Relf

Newcomer Relf Advanced Member

Canada
    Sony will probably go for online passes to play. People will pay for genuine keys to get on the next gen of CoD, etc.
    Online play is a big thing for the PS3. I hacked mine because the blu-ray drive went bust after one of Sony's infamous firmware updates. You quickly notice how few multiplayer games with split screen you can buy for the system [​IMG]

17. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    Provide one example with statistics to back it up where piracy has helped anything else before...

And if they do go with online passes it'll no doubt be similar to how it is on the PSP already.

18. Relf

Newcomer Relf Advanced Member

Canada

You mean like the PSP Go with unique codes to even get the game or something else?
    My apologies, PSP is not my area of expertise.

19. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    I mean with the games, like Socom, where you get a code in the game case to play online, but if you buy second hand you pay $10 for a code.

20. Originality

United Kingdom
    The only aspect that I can think of where piracy has actually helped the games industry, is in console sales. One of the reasons why the Wii sells so well is because it's so easy to hack and pirate games off. There are also many people who, after getting banned by Microsoft, just went out and bought a new Xbox 360.

I'm guessing there'll be a 30-60% rise in PS3 sales as a result of the hack, especially since it's now been mentioned in newspapers worldwide. We're already seeing enough new threads of "I'm thinking of/already have bought a PS3, and want to know how to play backups".

I sincerely hope you're wrong. Pseudo or real DRM is not the answer to piracy. PC has too much of that already and it's caused any number of problems for both sides in the past (not to mention failing to actually prevent software crackers from doing what they do best).