Sony Sued for PSN Security Breach

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Wintrale said:
jorpor said:
If this whole situation leads to Sony ending up dead, we won't have any support for the PS3 anymore. And what developer will want to release games for a dead console?

That's hardly the worst of it. Many developers will go out of business if SCE does since most single platform games don't net enough of a profit. If third party developers start dropping like flies (even moreso than they already have been), then the entire gaming market is essentially screwed because Microsoft isn't going to stick with a sinking ship and Nintendo can't save it a second time.

So, really, all these "innocent" hackers may have signed the death warrant for the entire industry and yet everyone here seems to want this to happen.
smileipb2.png

The death of Sega didn't kill the industry...why would the death of Sony?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Wintrale said:
jorpor said:
If this whole situation leads to Sony ending up dead, we won't have any support for the PS3 anymore. And what developer will want to release games for a dead console?

That's hardly the worst of it. Many developers will go out of business if SCE does since most single platform games don't net enough of a profit. If third party developers start dropping like flies (even moreso than they already have been), then the entire gaming market is essentially screwed because Microsoft isn't going to stick with a sinking ship and Nintendo can't save it a second time.

So, really, all these "innocent" hackers may have signed the death warrant for the entire industry and yet everyone here seems to want this to happen.
smileipb2.png
...Can't Microsoft or Ninty buy out Sony's in house devs if it comes to that? And independent studios can do whatever they want with their games. There's plenty of gaming platforms out there besides PS3.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
machomuu said:
Foxi4 said:
Fcuking Americans.
Hey, I didn't do anything, please don't generalize.

Didn't use any names, I'm just talking about the general attitude. U.S citizens honestly believe that all of the world's problems can be solved by lawsuits, which is clearly visible when you compare the sheer ammount and seriousness of law suits in your country compared to other countries.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Wintrale said:
jorpor said:

smileipb2.png
...Can't Microsoft or Ninty buy out Sony's in house devs if it comes to that? And independent studios can do whatever they want with their games. There's plenty of gaming platforms out there besides PS3.
If Nintendo bought out Sony it would either be the end of the world or the beginning of a new era,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Every market needs competition to progress. Having less players than we already have would stall the progress of the console buisness. If there's anything we do need, it's the rise of new companies and consoles to make the whole thing more interesting. OpenPandora/Wiz, anyone?

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
TwinRetro said:

'Cause games cost A LOT less to develop and profits were MUCH higher fifteen years ago. Plus the fact that Sony was right there to replace Sega really helped.

QUOTE(Midna @ Apr 28 2011, 12:20 AM) ...Can't Microsoft or Ninty buy out Sony's in house devs if it comes to that? And independent studios can do whatever they want with their games. There's plenty of gaming platforms out there besides PS3.

There are two. The Wii and the 360. If you make a game for one, you can't make it for the other as well. If the PS3 dies before the Café comes out, everything made will be platform exclusive and that instantly means any potential profit is halved. In a market where even Capcom has to push for five million sales just to turn a quantifiable profit, do you really think anyone is going to be happy with their potential profit getting halved? New companies will find it nearly impossible to start up and the likes of Ubisoft and EA aren't going to be happy with making current gen games when they know they have to cut their profit forecasts in half to do so.

omgitsmisha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
I didn't know there was a law that made Sony liable for EVERY SINGLE SECURITY BREACH.

Why don't we sue every other company that has had a security breach?
After all, it makes PERFECT SENSE!

You sign an agreement with me that you're my slave for life. Subsequently after, you refuse to be my slave. If I took you to court for breach of contract, would I win? No, because slavery is illegal. Just because it's in the T&C doesn't mean it's above the law. It was Sony's responsibility to keep that information safe. They didn't. It's just that simple.

Of course, the hacker in this case is responsible for actually stealing the personal information, but that person has yet to be identified. They will, in all likelihood, be brought to justice for their crimes. Make no mistake, though, Sony is up shit's creek without a paddle. There's really no way they could possibly hope to justify being that grossly negligent. If your personal information was stolen in this incident, Sony and this hacker have both committed a crime against you. Seek legal counsel and get in on this class-action suit. You deserve compensation.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
machomuu said:
Midna said:
Wintrale said:
jorpor said:

smileipb2.png
If Nintendo bought out Sony it would either be the end of the world or the beginning of a new era,

Considering Sony owns a very large electronics chain, I seriously doubt that the end of SCEI would be the end of Sony altogether. If worse comes to worse, they will just bow out of the console market and continue selling overpriced electronics.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Every market needs competition to progress. Having less players than we already have would stall the progress of the console buisness. If there's anything we do need, it's the rise of new companies and consoles to make the whole thing more interesting. OpenPandora/Wiz, anyone?

I'd like the Pandora is it wasn't $500+....

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Foxi4 said:
Didn't use any names, I'm just talking about the general attitude. U.S citizens honestly believe that all of the world's problems can be solved by lawsuits, which is clearly visible when you compare the sheer ammount and seriousness of law suits in your country compared to other countries.
This is hardly the case here.
Sony completely ballsed up security in this console.
They need a kick in the balls to get their priorities straightened out.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Wintrale said:
TwinRetro said:

'Cause games cost A LOT less to develop and profits were MUCH higher fifteen years ago. Plus the fact that Sony was right there to replace Sega really helped.

QUOTE(Midna @ Apr 28 2011, 12:20 AM) ...Can't Microsoft or Ninty buy out Sony's in house devs if it comes to that? And independent studios can do whatever they want with their games. There's plenty of gaming platforms out there besides PS3.

There are two. The Wii and the 360. If you make a game for one, you can't make it for the other as well. If the PS3 dies before the Café comes out, everything made will be platform exclusive and that instantly means any potential profit is halved. In a market where even Capcom has to push for five million sales just to turn a quantifiable profit, do you really think anyone is going to be happy with their potential profit getting halved? New companies will find it nearly impossible to start up and the likes of Ubisoft and EA aren't going to be happy with making current gen games when they know they have to cut their profit forecasts in half to do so.
FALLACY DETECTED
You're assuming that gamers loyal to Sony after it (potentially) falls will just quit gaming forever. Riiight. Not like they'll continue to buy games on other platforms.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Behind the aging, dying whale that is Sony is a young doe-eyed buck waiting to take the console world by storm.

Atari bowed out of the console scene and Sony took their place...Sega bowed out of the console scene and Microsoft took their place.

Believe me, there will be a company to replace Sony.

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love seeing things like this unravel. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but do you need to provide Credit card numbers/debit or names + address for that matter when you create a PSN account? (I don't own a PS3 nor a 360)

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
TwinRetro said:
Behind the aging, dying whale that is Sony is a young doe-eyed buck waiting to take the console world by storm.

Atari bowed out of the console scene and Sony took their place...Sega bowed out of the console scene and Microsoft took their place.

If that was the case, I could see THQ, activision or ea coming up with hardware.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
TwinRetro said:

If that was the case, I could see THQ, activision or ea coming up with hardware.

Or Apple....
wtf.gif

(In my nightmares, Angry Birds is played on an iConsole)....

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bently said:
I love seeing things like this unravel. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but do you need to provide Credit card numbers/debit or names + address for that matter when you create a PSN account? (I don't own a PS3 nor a 360)
You just need a credit card number if your going to buy anything off of PSN and not use a PSN money card that you can buy at GameStop or any other eletronic store.

B

ball2012003

Some Guy from another website said:
I partially agree that Sony has inadequate security, but they never GUARANTEED absolute safety, did they? Like the stock market crash of '29, the bankers made risky investments with deposited money, then the market crashed and the money was lost. The people weren't one bit happy, it was partially the banks' fault for not being safe with the money, but whose fault was it really that the people CHOSE to put their money in there? When ever you put money/cc info into something, there will always be a risk that something like this could happen!

D

Deleted User

Bently said:
If you want to buy things via the PSN I think. Unless you have a PSN card then maybe you don't but I don't remember.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@