Sony Preparing Hack-Proof PS3 SKU *Rumour*

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With all the recent price drops circulating Sony’s PlayStation 3 console and even reports suggesting the company may even introduce an official price drop, you can’t help wonder why Sony are really doing this for. If they really wanted to drop the price of their machine the best opportunity would have been at E3 last year. So, there must be a motive behind the recent price drops from major retailers – Sony are reportedly looking into a hack-proof PS3 SKU.

According to what I have been told by an anonymous source Sony are already deep into plans of developing a hack-proof PS3 system. This is mainly due to the recent leaks of Killzone 3 which has worried Sony of their console becoming a mainstream threat to piracy.

The hack-proof SKU will be a slim PlayStation 3 model and will contain a 300GB hard drive as an incentive to purchase the hack-proof system – the price of the SKU will be £186.99, my source informs me. The scheduled launch is unsure at this time due to Sony seeing if they can win the battle in the courts against the root of all the PS3 hacks – George Hotz.

Sony is essentially trying to get rid of all the old SKUs with these price drops – and even their own price drop incoming possibly – so it makes way for their new hack-proof model.
[/p]
Source

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
the source has 2 articles, not exactly trustworthy
Well, I found it on other sites and it all lead to this.

According to all of them though, its only a rumour.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Any "hack proof" technology they're developing will be used in the PS4 and NGP. Really, after all this hoo-ha, I'm expecting the PS4 to be announced by the Tokyo Game Show.

I really just hope Sony at least consider making future home consoles wholly focused on streamed content. It'd be cheaper for a lot of reasons, least of all that the console itself wouldn't even need much inside it, and Sony wouldn't have to worry about hackers at all. Sell all games for a tenner for an hour's worth of single player and multiplayer content and allow users to buy what they want in the form of microtransactions (so those who only want to play single player or multiplayer only really need to purchase that half of the game), replacing preorder bonuses with ownership bonuses that promote people purchasing the whole package.

Simple, really.

Zeroneo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
Any "hack proof" technology they're developing will be used in the PS4 and NGP. Really, after all this hoo-ha, I'm expecting the PS4 to be announced by the Tokyo Game Show.

I really just hope Sony at least consider making future home consoles wholly focused on streamed content. It'd be cheaper for a lot of reasons, least of all that the console itself wouldn't even need much inside it, and Sony wouldn't have to worry about hackers at all. Sell all games for a tenner for an hour's worth of single player and multiplayer content and allow users to buy what they want in the form of microtransactions (so those who only want to play single player or multiplayer only really need to purchase that half of the game), replacing preorder bonuses with ownership bonuses that promote people purchasing the whole package.

Simple, really.
I doubt they'll do that. Not everyone has an internet connection...

On Topic: This will be most likely used on the NGP but a new hack-proof isn't that unlikely seeing that they did that the PSP.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sheaperd121 said:
Sony is essentially trying to get rid of all the old SKUs with these price drops – and even their own price drop incoming possibly – so it makes way for their new hack-proof model.[/p]
Kinda makes sense, but not...
If they're planning to put out a 'hack proof' PS3, why would they be pushing the older units with a price drop?
Anyone who wants a PS3 for pirate purposes but has been on the fence is going to jump at the chance to get it.
Anyone who doesn't really care will probably go after them too since they'd be cheaper.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How could it be hack-proof if the original is blown wide open? They'd need an entirely new signing method, which would conflict with the fact that older games would still use the old method and the new PS3 would have to be backwards compatible with that signing method.

And older PS3's would also need to be forwards-compatible with the new signing method.

Regardless, I just hope if they do make a new signing method, all the random numbers are actually random.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this is true, saying "hack-proof" is just going to get a ton of people to hack it. And then when they do, Sony is going to sue. NOTHING is hack proof. And the sooner the world knows that, the better.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the only people I see buying this are phat owners who wants to upgrade for the 300GB and slimline, and
People who never owned a PS3. Hackers will most likely stay with the older models and just upgrade the GB on their own.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
If this is true, saying "hack-proof" is just going to get a ton of people to hack it. And then when they do, Sony is going to sue. NOTHING is hack proof. And the sooner the world knows that, the better.
Poor George won't be able to afford it after this court case.
smileipb2.png
Whoever does hack it probably won't be so childlish like he is. But then again this is pretty much blogspam and not even backed up by anything credible so no reason not to take this with anything more than a grain of salt.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
antwill said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Poor George won't be able to afford it after this court case.
smileipb2.png
Whoever does hack it probably won't be so childlish like he is. But then again this is pretty much blogspam and not even backed up by anything credible so no reason not to take this with anything more than a grain of salt.

Oh yes, I forgot you're the troll who goes into every thread about Sony and bashes George. So we can take you as seriously as much as this rumor then can't we?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?
    @SylverReZ forgor to tag lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Maybe ask the EZ-Flash team.
    maybe tomorrow lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond. They have a GBAtemp account here, you know.
    oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post
    tbh
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Would've been a great idea, because they'll notice.
    +1
    im not a very bright individual, but we live and we learn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    Veho @ Veho: Ah, you mean furries.