Sony patents...adverts?

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be seriously surprised if this was for paid, retail games. Multiplayer games with this sort of system are pretty much impossible, too. If this means I might be getting some free to play games that have ads rather than huge advantages for paying players, so be it. Still better than item shops.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
patents dont usually mean they will see the light of day. its just so noone else steals that idea. so we may or may not see this happening, which i doubt

Tell that to the nintendo fanboys in this forum who don't seem to understand that.

In this forum, rumors are fact and every ridicules idea is going to happen.

Reactions: 1 person

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man I hope this just the typical frivilous patent that's just there for IP protection and never will be implemented.

Xsux Orbshit and PissStation 4, it's like pick your poison as you'll be screwed either way. Nothing but the worst of news coming from these systems, neither system even seems desirable and I already want them both buried deep into the ground like the Casio Loopy and ET for the Atari 2600. There needs some other home console competition, a 4th system to compete with the current 3 in progress. The Wii U doesn't have this bull and while it has it's problems, it's nothing that's on the scale of these horrifying features.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
patents dont usually mean they will see the light of day. its just so noone else steals that idea. so we may or may not see this happening, which i doubt

Tell that to the nintendo fanboys in this forum who don't seem to understand that.

In this forum, rumors are fact and every ridicules idea is going to happen.

>Express opinion about not wanting in-game ads
>Somehow a fanboy.

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope to god this doesn't come to anything. I mean, I can accept this - barely - if it's restricted to free games, but if I'm paying for a full retail game, I expect it to be advert free.

Well if it does come about, at least the PS3 will come down and I can get my own finally. Sick of borrowing one.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stuff like this makes me wonder, as a fan of retro consoles I like the idea of things being able to function in the future for collectors. With averts, drm, and such I worry that 20 years from now these consoles wont work. I mean if you think about it 20 years from now an original Nintendo will most likely work (assuming you can find an old tv) But today's always on drm, persistent online connections, and cloud based stuff wont. A console that relies on a server that is no longer there is just a box.

TLDR: Today's consoles aren't future proof and will be useless 20 years from now

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stuff like this makes me wonder, as a fan of retro consoles I like the idea of things being able to function in the future for collectors. With averts, drm, and such I worry that 20 years from now these consoles wont work. I mean if you think about it 20 years from now an original Nintendo will most likely work (assuming you can find an old tv) But today's always on drm, persistent online connections, and cloud based stuff wont. A console that relies on a server that is no longer there is just a box.

TLDR: Today's consoles aren't future proof and will be useless 20 years from now

Actually even sooner, I'd say 10 years max for anything outside this gen (5 at worse) home console-wise, handhelds still have more physical over digital right now, but that won't last more than 10 more years.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I won't buy a PS4.

tumblr_m41gowjP4y1roomkpo2_500.jpg

Sorry it's just been made deadly obvious that you don't want anything Sony.

Oh really? Why, because I slag on their ethics and their lousy business decisions that are putting them in the tank? Just because you can't get it through your thick skull that they are a horrible company for business and can't get anything right in the gaming industy these days, doesn't make me a hater. Pretty sure I have had a PSP for the last few years and played it regularly. Just because I don't want to piss away my money on something like a Vita which has no games for it or a PS3 which itself doesn't have many exclusive titles that interest me, doesn't make me a hater. I don't own a 360 for the same reason, I would never play it when most of the good games that I do want for either platform, I can buy for my computer. See, this is one of the realities of being a gamer, you can sit there and drool all over your multiplatform games, but at the end of the day the games that I like to play are either available on the PC, or are Nintendo games, that's just the way it is. I am not going to buy a PS3 for Gran Turismo 5 and an NHL series game, or a 360 for Forza and Gears of War, those aren't worth the investment to me.

No, I am not a hater, I am a realist and it's about high time you learned the fucking difference.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
No, I am not a hater, I am a realist and it's about high time you learned the fucking difference.

Guild has trolled you good.
He mad bro he mad.

I'm not a fan of the biggest fan of the Vita, but you have to acknowledge that it already has good games. I think DSGamer is a hater and just won't admit it. Look at his previous posts. It's all hatred.

He mad bro.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

He mad bro he mad.

I'm not a fan of the biggest fan of the Vita, but you have to acknowledge that it already has good games. I think DSGamer is a hater and just won't admit it. Look at his previous posts. It's all hatred.

He mad bro.

It's easy to slag a company for doing stupid shit, I dislike Microsoft as much as I dislike Sony, and to be honest I have made numerous complaints about Nintendo over the years as well. The PS2 was a great system, then Sony went and fucked it all up with the PS3, and I don't believe in the Microsoft ethics of paying to play games online with your friends, that's bullshit. And you know what I hate about the Wii? Is the fact that there hasn't been a good game out for it since Zelda came out, and at best it's been getting one or two quality titles every 6 months since it launched, not to mention the online experience sucks noodles.

So yeah, it's easy to hate on everyone for something or another, just because Sony is the most notorious for doing stupid shit doesn't mean I exclusively dislike them.

Also, it seems that Guild is like the Boy Who Cried Wolf every time someone takes a shot at Sony for doing something stupid, he has to whine like a little girl about it. Grow up, get over the fact that not everyone likes the same shit you do, and get over the fact that the industry is dominated by Nintendo fans because of their long standing history.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

He mad bro he mad.

He mad bro.

It's easy to slag a company for doing stupid shit, I dislike Microsoft as much as I dislike Sony, and to be honest I have made numerous complaints about Nintendo over the years as well. The PS2 was a great system, then Sony went and fucked it all up with the PS3, and I don't believe in the Microsoft ethics of paying to play games online with your friends, that's bullshit. And you know what I hate about the Wii? Is the fact that there hasn't been a good game out for it since Zelda came out, and at best it's been getting one or two quality titles every 6 months since it launched, not to mention the online experience sucks noodles.

So yeah, it's easy to hate on everyone for something or another, just because Sony is the most notorious for doing stupid shit doesn't mean I exclusively dislike them.

Also, it seems that Guild is like the Boy Who Cried Wolf every time someone takes a shot at Sony for doing something stupid, he has to whine like a little girl about it. Grow up, get over the fact that not everyone likes the same shit you do, and get over the fact that the industry is dominated by Nintendo fans because of their long standing history.
Well I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Guild dilemma, You shouldn't hate companies that produce consoles solely for the fact that they create memories for everyone. Without the PS3, no one would have experienced the joys of LittleBigPlanet or Uncharted. If there was no 360, where would we get our fix of Halo or Gears of War(!!)? If the Wii wasn't out, how we enjoy.... eh nvm the good titles on the wii have previous versions on the gamecube :P but point is, you shouldn't hate these things man. Many people enjoy them. While companies like to make money, I'm pretty sure they also do things that are good for the consumer.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

He mad bro he mad.

He mad bro.

Well I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Guild dilemma, You shouldn't hate companies that produce consoles solely for the fact that they create memories for everyone. Without the PS3, no one would have experienced the joys of LittleBigPlanet or Uncharted. If there was no 360, where would we get our fix of Halo or Gears of War(!!)? If the Wii wasn't out, how we enjoy.... eh nvm the good titles on the wii have previous versions on the gamecube :P but point is, you shouldn't hate these things man. Many people enjoy them. While companies like to make money, I'm pretty sure they also do things that are good for the consumer.
Super Mario Galaxy?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario Galaxy?

TBH I'd go with MadWorld or No More Heroes. I enjoyed SMG a lot and their other platformers but they never really left a lasting mark or have become the topic of discussion as much as other games.

Meh, Super Mario Sunshine.

Highly inferior to Super Mario Galaxy. Whoever thought of the FLUUD or whatever it's called should be punched in the face.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or N3ds/2Ds
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, or most "gimmicky" consoles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah the dual screen makes them better because that's how they were developed for
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Wii U is also great.
    For DS games.
    Also, 3DS games through NTR streaming on Wii U.
    It's very cool.
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware