OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
psp+1_5.jpg

Comments from Sony Computer Entertainment Australia head Michael Ephraim suggest that new PSP hardware may follow in PSPgo’s footsteps and take the digital-only approach to content.

Speaking last week as rumours of a UMD-free PSP2 intensified, Ephraim told GameSpot in a video interview:

"PSPgo was the first device of its kind where you did not have packaged goods or pre-recorded media, and I think PSPgo will blaze the trail for future iterations of the handheld.

“The handheld space is very crowded, not just in the games category but also with smartphones and so on,” he added. “So we’re happy we launched it so we can understand the market and we will re-energise sales very shortly with new promotions.”

Last week Ephraim acknowledged that Australian PSPgo sales had been underwhelming, with the system moving under 25,000 units since its October 2009 release.

According to a recent rumour, Sony’s unannounced PSP successor will launch in 2011 without support for physical media. Reportedly based on a powerful four-core Cell CPU and already in the hands of developers, the device is said to feature a touch-screen in addition to the traditional PlayStation buttons.
Source.

clonesniper666

KRII LUN AUS
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah can anyone say PSPgo sales all over again. Digital downloads only work if the device is not meant to be a pure gaming machine, the ipod touch/ iphone for example, it will never work well for Sony since the PSP is mostly used for portable gaming. At least the 3DS will support physical games.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
PSP2=Hello large hardware sales
Digital Only=Goodbye large hardware sales.

When it comes to games I want them in a physical form if I'm buying. I dislike buying digital downloads because I feel like I've bought nothing.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who wants to wait forever for their games to be downloaded? Afraid to say that is sony is shooting themselves here.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jamstruth said:
PSP2=Hello large hardware sales
Digital Only=Goodbye large hardware sales.

When it comes to games I want them in a physical form if I'm buying. I dislike buying digital downloads because I feel like I've bought nothing.
QFT
I have noticed a significant difference between the amount of time I put into a pirated game and the amount of time I put into a game that I bought.
For pirated games the pirate syndrome usually hits after an hour or 5 (not counting exceptions like KH or SRTOGSEF). If I buy a game, I play it much longer.
With this it's like piracy, the only difference is that you pay for it.
So you pay 50 euros or whatever amount in whatever currency to download a game, then a couple of hours in you get struck by the pirate syndrome and never play it again.
I've also noticed this with DSiWare.

frogmyster3

Trophies
XP
Country
If the PSP2 is digital only then you will still need something to download the PSP2 on.
nyanya.gif

Nah. You know that Sony are screwed when they announce something that they've already done that didn't work. Mind you - Nintendo with 3D games. Then again it's Nintendo there and on their winning streak at the moment it's hard to see how that will fall.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just remembered that a number of video game outlets refused to stock the PSP Go, because they would not be able to sell any games for the system.

Hell at my local Gamestation, they only sold about 2-5 units. They had to send them back.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind paying £10 for downloadable games but full price I won't and I doubt that Sony will have its big games at anything less than £20, if we're lucky.

manobon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really enjoy the Go (though, I have to admit, I enjoy it even More now with emulators working on it). My two major concerns with it are the lack of the majority of PSP titles in the PSN Store, and pricing. If they consistently put up the games available on UMD onto the store (Crisis Core, where are you!), and have consumer-geared pricing (Street Fighter Alpha 3 should not be $20 at this point- there was even a "street fighter sale" last week, and the price remained the same), the PSP2 could do well.

Well, that and download kiosks at gaming stores- have pre-order specials for the release dates, which should get more people into stores. Also, Sony Really needs to provide the PSN release information in advance (just like for the physical versions)- I hate being disappointed week after week on the playstation blog.

Okay, so that was more than two- I just think that, with the success of the iPhone (though, more so with the iPod Touch), people are clearly willing to part with money for digital "not really owned, just licensed...until the hardware breaks/account ends?", so make the experience of buying the product better to Attract customers. That means, to me, a "more like normal" shopping experience- download kiosks, preorder bonuses, Sales after several months, etc.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I understand that people are hesitant about paying for downloading of games, but for the PSP there's really no way back. Only recently I've been playing on the PSP, and I was really surprised about how incredibly bad UMD is. Not only can you easily scratch them and does the PSP look like it's about to break any time, it's also extremely noisy and probably eats away the battery really fast. If I were to buy a PSP, I wouldn't buy anything for it on UMD. For me it's either cartridges or downloads.

Sony's digital distribution is actually really good. It allows you to use software on multiple devices (unlike Nintendo) and you can redownload games as often as you like. The only problem with it is price. I'm someone who doesn't want to pay too much for handheld games, especially if they're digital. I will never pay more than 30 euros (40 dollars), especially since I buy my PS3 games for about 20 euros (25 dollars).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
I understand that people are hesitant about paying for downloading of games, but for the PSP there's really no way back. Only recently I've been playing on the PSP, and I was really surprised about how incredibly bad UMD is. Not only can you easily scratch them and does the PSP look like it's about to break any time, it's also extremely noisy and probably eats away the battery really fast. If I were to buy a PSP, I wouldn't buy anything for it on UMD. For me it's either cartridges or downloads.

Sony's digital distribution is actually really good. It allows you to use software on multiple devices (unlike Nintendo) and you can redownload games as often as you like. The only problem with it is price. I'm someone who doesn't want to pay too much for handheld games, especially if they're digital. I will never pay more than 30 euros (40 dollars), especially since I buy my PS3 games for about 20 euros (25 dollars).

No developer will dare create a retail quality game, to only be available for download services.
Everyone recognises download services are only viable for budget and smaller titles.
The PSP2 will be doomed to a subpar selection of games that will fail to utilise it's undoubtably impressive new hardware.

This could all easily be avoided if the PSP2 opts for retail distribution using Flash-memory cards.
No seriously! Your standard PSP UMD was no more than 1gb, or in some cases 2gb. You know how cheap it would be mass-produce games on cartridge media now?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.