Sony Hints At Digital-Only PSP2

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by luke_c, May 24, 2010.

May 24, 2010

Sony Hints At Digital-Only PSP2 by luke_c at 5:31 PM (4,948 Views / 0 Likes) 79 replies

1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Source.

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    And down goes Sony's sales...

3. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    If they go digital only, they will fail totally. I guarrantee it!

4. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    Yeah can anyone say PSPgo sales all over again. Digital downloads only work if the device is not meant to be a pure gaming machine, the ipod touch/ iphone for example, it will never work well for Sony since the PSP is mostly used for portable gaming. At least the 3DS will support physical games.

5. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    PSP2=Hello large hardware sales
    Digital Only=Goodbye large hardware sales.

When it comes to games I want them in a physical form if I'm buying. I dislike buying digital downloads because I feel like I've bought nothing.

6. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    If Sony hadn't already totally failed in its PSP Go, people might have been willing to try a download only PSP2.

But nope, Sony fucked up.

7. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Ok now I already know im not getting it

8. foxgrey

Member foxgrey GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Who wants to wait forever for their games to be downloaded? Afraid to say that is sony is shooting themselves here.

9. Mr.Positive

Member Mr.Positive GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh dear. This isn't a smart thing to do at all. I hope it doesn't turn out to be true.

10. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    QFT
    I have noticed a significant difference between the amount of time I put into a pirated game and the amount of time I put into a game that I bought.
    For pirated games the pirate syndrome usually hits after an hour or 5 (not counting exceptions like KH or SRTOGSEF). If I buy a game, I play it much longer.
    With this it's like piracy, the only difference is that you pay for it.
    So you pay 50 euros or whatever amount in whatever currency to download a game, then a couple of hours in you get struck by the pirate syndrome and never play it again.
    I've also noticed this with DSiWare.

11. frogmyster3

Member frogmyster3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If the PSP2 is digital only then you will still need something to download the PSP2 on. [​IMG]

Nah. You know that Sony are screwed when they announce something that they've already done that didn't work. Mind you - Nintendo with 3D games. Then again it's Nintendo there and on their winning streak at the moment it's hard to see how that will fall.

12. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    When will you learn, sony?

13. PrinceNOOB

Member PrinceNOOB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can't wait for the psp2 to come out will get it for sure.

14. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    I just remembered that a number of video game outlets refused to stock the PSP Go, because they would not be able to sell any games for the system.

Hell at my local Gamestation, they only sold about 2-5 units. They had to send them back.

15. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I don't mind paying £10 for downloadable games but full price I won't and I doubt that Sony will have its big games at anything less than £20, if we're lucky.

16. manobon

Member manobon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I really enjoy the Go (though, I have to admit, I enjoy it even More now with emulators working on it). My two major concerns with it are the lack of the majority of PSP titles in the PSN Store, and pricing. If they consistently put up the games available on UMD onto the store (Crisis Core, where are you!), and have consumer-geared pricing (Street Fighter Alpha 3 should not be $20 at this point- there was even a "street fighter sale" last week, and the price remained the same), the PSP2 could do well.

Well, that and download kiosks at gaming stores- have pre-order specials for the release dates, which should get more people into stores. Also, Sony Really needs to provide the PSN release information in advance (just like for the physical versions)- I hate being disappointed week after week on the playstation blog.

Okay, so that was more than two- I just think that, with the success of the iPhone (though, more so with the iPod Touch), people are clearly willing to part with money for digital "not really owned, just licensed...until the hardware breaks/account ends?", so make the experience of buying the product better to Attract customers. That means, to me, a "more like normal" shopping experience- download kiosks, preorder bonuses, Sales after several months, etc.

17. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    well sony never learns

18. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I understand that people are hesitant about paying for downloading of games, but for the PSP there's really no way back. Only recently I've been playing on the PSP, and I was really surprised about how incredibly bad UMD is. Not only can you easily scratch them and does the PSP look like it's about to break any time, it's also extremely noisy and probably eats away the battery really fast. If I were to buy a PSP, I wouldn't buy anything for it on UMD. For me it's either cartridges or downloads.

Sony's digital distribution is actually really good. It allows you to use software on multiple devices (unlike Nintendo) and you can redownload games as often as you like. The only problem with it is price. I'm someone who doesn't want to pay too much for handheld games, especially if they're digital. I will never pay more than 30 euros (40 dollars), especially since I buy my PS3 games for about 20 euros (25 dollars).

19. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
  20. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    No developer will dare create a retail quality game, to only be available for download services.
    Everyone recognises download services are only viable for budget and smaller titles.
    The PSP2 will be doomed to a subpar selection of games that will fail to utilise it's undoubtably impressive new hardware.

This could all easily be avoided if the PSP2 opts for retail distribution using Flash-memory cards.
    No seriously! Your standard PSP UMD was no more than 1gb, or in some cases 2gb. You know how cheap it would be mass-produce games on cartridge media now?