Sony Executive Speaks!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SamAsh07, Oct 29, 2010.

Oct 29, 2010

Sony Executive Speaks! by SamAsh07 at 11:22 AM (1,040 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Dille, the company's senior vice president of marketing, would neither confirm nor deny the rumors, but did admit that the PSP could benefit from true wireless connectivity provided by cellular service. "The PSP is a Wi-Fi device," Dille said. "People are used to having always-connected devices." He went on to discuss how the PSP fits within Sony's vision for digitally distributed media and games via the PlayStation Network. "I don't think we fully realize that vision with a Wi-Fi device," he elaborated. "If it's not connected then it does sort of limit people."

Further credence was leant to the rumors when Dille discussed the competitive nature of the portable market, as well as the gains made by Apple with the iPod touch, which is now the world's largest mobile gaming platform. "These are largely time-killers," he said in reference to traditional smartphone games. "Gamers aren't satisfied with that."

While Dille refused to comment on questions regarding the suggestion that the rumored device could feature an Android-based OS and the implications therein, another SCEA spokesperson present did note that the company has existing relationships with Google, undoubtedly in reference to the company's use of Google TV in upcoming HD TVs and Blu-ray players. Dille's comments are far from a confirmation of the alleged PlayStation Phone, but it does seem to suggest that the company is interested in expanding their role in the mobile space.[/p]

Source

Still not confirmed, but this surely increases peoples hopes of getting a PS Phone some day.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well, latency for phone networks HAS improved a lot since the old days...

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Sooo... the PSP2 will have 3G?

4. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    I really hope they try. An N-Gage experience might do them some good.

5. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    this phone is starting to really seem like it is the psp2. Touchscreen, and touch panel like mouse track pad on back (or inside as we have seen) 2x analogue sticks(trackpad could be used as these) 3G psp2... Like a phone, wider screen, no umd, psp2 games coming on micro sd's... Psphone has micro sd slot and no umd. Rumor 1gig ram, psphone has 512ram but also 1gig rom. Psp2 out next year, just happen to get photos of psphone as this year is coming to an end so it will be out next year. Would be risky giving the amount of debt sony are in to release 2 high end products so close to 3ds release.

Just putting 2 and 2 together here.

6. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    ^ I guess you're right, sounds plausible.

7. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Perhaps that's not the best comparison to make . [​IMG]

Nevertheless, I think a 3G-enabled "PS Phone" would be quite attractive to consumers. I can't really see it doing anything that the Android platform hasn't already done, however, outside of full-fledged game titles.

8. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    no.
    touch panel on back is completely different from touch panel inside a slide-keypad.
    dual analog is completely different from a touchpad(pretty sure when they say dual analog they mean 2 physical thingies)
    Ram!=Rom
    oh and the fact that the psp2 is supposed to get the form factor of the original PSP's as far as i know, while the PSPhone gets the form factor of the PSPgo.

9. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    So I'm guessing Sony want to tackle iPhone heads on.

10. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    It is, I really think they need a proper flop to kick them up their complacent arses. The PS3 could have being that but Blu Ray winning out made it a cheap Blu Ray player. Sort of like when the PS2 first came out and it only sold to begin with 'cause it was a cheap DVD player. Don't get me wrong if the next PSP turns out to be any good I'll be more than happy. I just don't think they will do anything original until they have had a complete flop.

11. Matthew

Member Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It was the fact it was a cheap dvd player that I managed to convince my parents to get it. We were still using VHS.

12. Nintendude92

Member Nintendude92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I dunno why they didn't realize that before with the psp go

It being limited, that is