Sonic Unleashed (Wii)

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Xta Large, Nov 10, 2008.

Nov 10, 2008

Sonic Unleashed (Wii) by Xta Large at 6:27 AM (7,062 Views / 0 Likes) 90 replies

1. Xta Large
    OP

Member Xta Large GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There are, at every vid website I go to, at least 100 fanboys flipping a shmidt at how 'good' this game looks on Wii. Why do people think that? I don't understand - everything I've seen and heard about the Wii version, doesn't sound good. It's being handled by a different dev, two entire levels have been cut, we're getting a cardboard cutout hub instead of a nice 3D hub... not to mention the fact that the game looks like a mid-gen PS2 game, complete with low-poly environments and blurry texturework, and loses the sense of speed attained by the other two versions in the system transition. I'm not gonna support sloppy portwork, why are there so many people out there ready to?

2. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

Don't hate a game that hasn't been released yet.

EDIT: Release date: (EU) 11/14/08, (US) 11/18/08.

3. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The game looks really awesome for a Wii game. You don't know if the game is good or not. And graphics should be the LEAST of your worries. Sonic 06 looked really awesome at first, and then it turned out the game was horrendous.

Someday, every gamer on earth is going to wake from their stupidity and realize that gameplay>>>>>>>>>graphics. This is true no matter what the graphics whores say.

4. Xta Large
    OP

Member Xta Large GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41738.html?type=flv

You know what I see there?

Low poly backgrounds that remind me of Crazy Taxi waaay back on the Dreamcast. Awful textures (especially the vines growing off of the wall Sonic is running on 23 seconds in). The same clipping issues that plagued Adventure and Adventure 2. Less inspired level design than on the other two systems. A less dynamic camera. An overall loss of the sense of speed that this game is supposed to provide.

Secret Rings looked better.

Just so you guys know, I'm not a graphics whore in the least, and if this game showed me that it had better gameplay on the Wii, that's the system I'd buy it for. It's just that, when I look at the other vids, at how well the Hedgehog engine (which has an incredible lighting method that, honestly, gets closer to that 'pixar movie' look and feel than any other game has gotten) renders the levels and provides a sense of speed... it's just hard for me to look at the Wii version and praise it. Especially when I know that the Wii could be pumping out more than the devs are using.

5. granville

United States
    Basically, you are still criticizing a game you don't have yet. The graphics mean nothing.

The level design for the Wii version is totally different from the PS3/360 version. It's being handled by Dimps who did the Sonic Advance and Rush games (some of the best Sonic games in a long time).

The game with the best gameplay, not graphics is the one that will be considered superior. I'm not saying whether the Wii game will be good or bad, just that no one has a right to judge it until they have played it.

As for the graphics, the ones in this trailer really impressed me:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42500.html

You claim to not be a graphics whore, but this appears to be your primary gripe with the game. My suggestion though is to wait until the reviews come in and you'll see which version is the best (if any).

6. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia

just beecause the wii has motion control doesnt mean devs have to use it. thats what the black knight sonic is about. they give a sword for a reason in that one.

7. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    to be honest i see the point of xtalarge, he isnt talking only about graphics... you granville seem to have doubts about that... your just pointing out "the graphics area" of the game.

Taking out 2 entires levels? that is just non-sense, who knows what else might be taken off as well? Plus that Wii trailler you added granville is INDEED the first and only i've seen trailler for the wii with those graphics. The others i've seen so far look rather dull, but hey... i've even enjoyed spiderman WOS in the wii.

I'm happy the game is coming to the Wii, i just dont hope its another "Alone in the Dark" game... where the wii version is indeed the worst there is, with no change of getting a "fix" (horrible controls/horrible graphics, where the other version are going to get patched...)

Reviews will be coming soon, so lets wait and see, although they arent always trustworthy, they might shear some light on this subject.

8. granville

United States
    I'd just much rather have a game with crappy graphics and great gameplay than one with great graphics and bad gameplay (Sonic 06).

It's just a bit ridiculous to judge a game before you play it. Or at least before you hear the opinions of others who have played it.

I don't have doubts or positive thoughts about the graphics area beyond saying that I found them attractive. Saying any more would be redundant. I don't want to spend time on one of the least important parts of a game. I could count dozens of PS3 and 360 games with awesome graphics but dreadful gameplay. That's why I don't judge a game solely on their graphics.

9. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Ok, so... since Sonic Unleashed on the Wii doesn't use the Wii Remote's motion, or pointing, we should just dump it...

How about on the PS2... does it use the network adapter for online play? Oh, it doesn't, so let's dump that version too...

360... does it use the HD for anything, or online play... no? DUMPED!

PS3... motion control (6axis), bluray for super hi def res graphics, network play? Fuck, dumped agian...

No more consoles! Guess this game get's dumped all around... too bad they won't make any money on this game now... guess Sonic Team get's put down like a dog because of this...

/sarcasm... dumbass

10. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    LOL, i kinda expected a bigger furrier werehedgehog, not the same sonic with stretchy arms

11. granville

United States
    BTW, was anyone else reminded of the Sega Genesis gem Ristar when werehog Sonic used his arms like that?

12. Galacta

Member Galacta >:)

Australia
    It'll feel better and It'll look better on the PS3 and 360.

[​IMG]

13. scousethief

Member scousethief GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    andd play like shit on the 360 and ps3 , both consoles are shite , oo oo ooo look at the graphics ahh shit it plays like a dead dog.

14. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Gameplay is more important then graphics. Graphics are just a plus for a game, especially since you can't play graphics. End of story. Raiyu245 has spoken.

15. Flawsdraw

Member Flawsdraw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The Gameplay over graphics is an arguement I have bought up for years with my mates and brothers, but tbh the Wii is kind of shite, only a handful of games play well, and only a couple are good, on the otherhand, where the 360 is a graphic bitch since the PS3 some really good games have been released, my guessing is they know they wont look as good as a PS3 so they moved to gameplay.
    All i'm going to say about this game is pfft, sonic is old skwl, like Mario (N64 was best, should of been left there) and turning him into a Werehog??? this is just a stupid nobcheese's "Look at this story!!! ITS SOOOOOOO ORIGINALLL" script for the game, they are always trying to bring new life into Sonic.. this time they actually added NEW life into sonic.... we'll see

16. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Actually, I think the graphics are looking pretty good for a Wii game.. it's looking like the 360/PS3 version but without all the shinny effects.. and the motion controls are used, but they're optional.

17. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    there is no hope for this sonic game, just like there was no hope for sonic and the secret rings, it will be full of bugs guaranteed, it will (again) not allow you to play as super sonic in the levels ¬_¬ and the controls will suck like they did in sonic and the secret rings.

shadow the hedgehog was a abomination, and so will this, just because it's sonic it does not mean it will be good, sonic was last good in 1996 when sonic 3 and knuckles was last released lol

imo sega are just milking sonic dry to the bone like mario.

18. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Why is everybody awaiting good graphics on the Wii when even many of Nintendos First Party games (exclude MP3,SMG and some others...) doesn`t even look that good. I really hope, that it looks decent and plays really good (or at least the Sonic levels).

And SatSR looked for its time pretty good (the water in the dinosaur level looked so good... there isn`t much that looked better on the Wii)... One of the prettiest games on the Wii at that time and who cares if the gameplay is not as good? In the end nobody!

19. MG4M3R

Member MG4M3R GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Sonic Unleashed Wii look's pretty good O.o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, this is the PS2 version with some filters, but in general seems a bit like Mario Sunshine, one of the most beautiful Game Cube games.

So I think that is OK ^^:

it was a Fake Rumor.

20. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i find that hard to believe that is the ps2 version (as graphics on the ps2 look like crap), i know some websites put the next gen ps3 pictures on there to make it look good, or it could be pre rendered.