Somewhat random DRE's using good (I think) methods

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ZoomStop, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ZoomStop
    OP

ZoomStop Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Hey guys. I have been running chips & exploits in PS2's & Xboxen for years now. The Wii is my first foray into the new systems. But I am having a problem and want to check with you guys before I do something dumb.

I have a WiiKey2 in a clip installed. The Wii is a DMS one. I started making backups with Maxell 8x DVD-R burned at 4x with ImgBurn. I got tons of DRE's (on about 90% of burns). So I switched to using OEM boxed Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R discs since that seems to be what everyone loves. My burner is the one that came in my Dell, a TSSTcorp TS-H653A. I was using Avery labels and a centering tool but with or without the label I still have issues.

Now with the Verbs I am getting a rate of about 50% or so. Much better but still crappy. I also get "Disc Could Not Be Read" errors before it will even load in the Disc channel.

So I am not sure what to do. The WiiKey2 has the 1.2 update. My dash is 3.4u.

I am about to try one or all of these unless anyone knows of a better thing to try:
    1. Downgrade my dash to 3.2 or lower
    2. Try using a backup loader app
    3. Pop it open and clean the laser eye with a swab and some isopropyl alcohol (did wonders for PS2's back in the day)
    4. Pop it open and adjust the power pot on the laser up a smidge (did wonders for Dreamcast's back in the day)

Am I wasting my time with any of these? Are any actually a good thing to try? Sorry, I am really new to the Wii.
    PS - this is my Son's Christmas present. If I kill this before Xmas my wife will kill me.

2. ether2802

ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Former Staff
    Oct 14, 2007
    Mexico
    Pto. Vallarta
    I would only downgrade to 3.2 and install starfall, about the burning thing, you might need a better writter it is not only about the media you know..!! [​IMG]

3. ZoomStop
    OP

ZoomStop Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    What would be the best burner to buy then? Just don't say Plextor since I have trouble stomaching paying that much for a DVD burner.

4. afif95

afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Nov 24, 2008
    Malaysia
    Malaysia!
    BenQ is good. Heck, I got the cheapest one and it works like a charm. Burnt a no-brand (EMTEC) DVD+R (Bad media for Wii, but wait!) on IMGBurn, it works wonders!

BenQ is the best, got the cheapest one for RM90 (Which equals to.... $22.50?).

Holy shit, I'm sounding like an advertiser [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ZoomStop
    OP

ZoomStop Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Well to update, I downgraded to 3.2, did the Starfall thing, etc and it seems to help a lot. Games that would not even run before run and I am not getting nearly as many DRE's. So if anyone else was stuck like me, going from the 3.4 dash to the 3.2 dash does help things a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice