Somewhat random DRE's using good (I think) methods

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ZoomStop, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ZoomStop
    OP

Newcomer ZoomStop Newbie

United States
    Hey guys. I have been running chips & exploits in PS2's & Xboxen for years now. The Wii is my first foray into the new systems. But I am having a problem and want to check with you guys before I do something dumb.

I have a WiiKey2 in a clip installed. The Wii is a DMS one. I started making backups with Maxell 8x DVD-R burned at 4x with ImgBurn. I got tons of DRE's (on about 90% of burns). So I switched to using OEM boxed Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R discs since that seems to be what everyone loves. My burner is the one that came in my Dell, a TSSTcorp TS-H653A. I was using Avery labels and a centering tool but with or without the label I still have issues.

Now with the Verbs I am getting a rate of about 50% or so. Much better but still crappy. I also get "Disc Could Not Be Read" errors before it will even load in the Disc channel.

So I am not sure what to do. The WiiKey2 has the 1.2 update. My dash is 3.4u.

I am about to try one or all of these unless anyone knows of a better thing to try:
    1. Downgrade my dash to 3.2 or lower
    2. Try using a backup loader app
    3. Pop it open and clean the laser eye with a swab and some isopropyl alcohol (did wonders for PS2's back in the day)
    4. Pop it open and adjust the power pot on the laser up a smidge (did wonders for Dreamcast's back in the day)

Am I wasting my time with any of these? Are any actually a good thing to try? Sorry, I am really new to the Wii.
    PS - this is my Son's Christmas present. If I kill this before Xmas my wife will kill me.

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    I would only downgrade to 3.2 and install starfall, about the burning thing, you might need a better writter it is not only about the media you know..!! [​IMG]

3. ZoomStop
    OP

Newcomer ZoomStop Newbie

United States
    What would be the best burner to buy then? Just don't say Plextor since I have trouble stomaching paying that much for a DVD burner.

4. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    BenQ is good. Heck, I got the cheapest one and it works like a charm. Burnt a no-brand (EMTEC) DVD+R (Bad media for Wii, but wait!) on IMGBurn, it works wonders!

BenQ is the best, got the cheapest one for RM90 (Which equals to.... $22.50?).

Holy shit, I'm sounding like an advertiser [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ZoomStop
    OP

Newcomer ZoomStop Newbie

United States
    Well to update, I downgraded to 3.2, did the Starfall thing, etc and it seems to help a lot. Games that would not even run before run and I am not getting nearly as many DRE's. So if anyone else was stuck like me, going from the 3.4 dash to the 3.2 dash does help things a lot.