Something about the GBA on DSi

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by WrSmega, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2009
  1. WrSmega
    OP

Member WrSmega GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    IF...The DSi shop release GBA games for download, THEN thats proof that GBA emulation is possible on the DSi
    When the DSi GBA games are in a channel, then they can probably be hacked with a patcher and SD card

2. asdf

Member asdf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The keyword there is "if". We have no idea if they even will. If they do, great! If not, oh well!

And what makes you think that even if it was released on DSiWare that it could be hacked? We have regular DSiWare right now that can't even be hacked.

3. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Does no one use the search function? Or even look at the first page of this forum? There is almost one of these threads every day... and I will now share the same response I give them each time...

Now that response was aimed mostly at regular DS users wanting GBA emulation, but it does contain information on DS as well. The simple answer is, don't get your hopes too high. If virtual console comes to DS, it is FAR more likely that they will initially emulate GB/C games as well as maybe NES games since they are smaller thus easier to manage and easier to emulate.

4. Dialga.The.Maste

Member Dialga.The.Maste GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Well if its released as DSi ware it might take advantage of the internal memory's/SD card slot's faster read speed.

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Well. I'm pretty sure Nintendo have hinted GBA games will be on a DSi Virtual Console, and if so, once we have homebrew, there may well be a way to inject a GBA game into a Virtual Console game, like is possible on the Wii. This would mean you could buy a random GBA game from the virtual console, and inject the rom of the GBA game you actually want.

Or wait, was it GB/GBC games Nintendo hinted at? Still, we could probably inject THEM into a Virtual Console game to get them on DSi menu without having to load an emulator, but it'd probably be easier just to load them in an emulator such as lameboy.

6. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    I am against the inject them. I prefer them coming from Nintendo and any companies.. not people who injected them.. Thats ridiculous!

7. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    i say we shall wait till it is available....
    otherwise, no point speculate things...

8. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Dont get me wrong, i dont inject on Wii, mainly because i dont own any n64 games, nes games, snes games etc. but it is possible. also, i prefer not to dabble with WADs, because you know, the illegalness of them, but there may be a way on DSi to inject into an installed VC game, rather than a WAD, which could be more useful, because i actually own gba games, and gbc games. but i'd rather just a GBA emulator. which should be theoretically possible. the only reason slot 2 ram was needed on DS was because GBA games where so fast, the DS didnt have enough RAM to cope, but DSi has the RAM DS had with a slot 2 ram pack, so it should work. only problem is there's no native support for gba games like there was on DS, so it'll have to be unofficial software emulation, which wont be as reliable or as good as official hardware emulation. just my thoughts on the matter.

9. Dizzy Doom

Newcomer Dizzy Doom Advanced Member

United States
    As I said on another topic:
    Well, if you really wanna find out, you have to see if GBA mode is still there.
    We already know that SOME of the GBA hardware IS there, as it's needed to run DS games. However GBA routines are the problem, as ARM7 works diferently on NDS mode and GBA mode. We don't even know if GBA BIOS is still there.
    Without GBA mode, you MUST emulate (even though that's not really a problem, as it was stated, it'd be a matter of mapping simmilar commands of ARM7 in gba mode to ARM9/7 in DS mode. The main problem on emulation on the DSL was the RAM.)
    Anyone with a DSi could run this? http://www.cryptosystem.org/projects/nds/gbaswitch.nds
    On a DS Phat/L, it boots DS on GBA mode, as explained on that page ( http://www.cryptosystem.org/archives/2007/...-mode-switcher/ )
    If I'm right, it should boot DSi ond GBA mode, from DS compatibility mode. Be warned, though, as it could leave your DSi stuck on GBA mode, DS mode, or nothing could happen at all.

Also, if anyone is brave enough, you could also try loading the brickers, even though it has no relation with GBA mode.

10. SifJar

United Kingdom
    I'd say that's a load of crap. Why the flip would there still be GBA hardware other than the DS required stuff? Makes no sense. Nintendo aren't going to waste money sticking in hardware which isn't necessary. It'll only be software emulation if it ever actually happens. Not hardware. And I doubt that .nds file would do much. Also the brickers I'm pretty sure wouldnt work, they were designed to brick DS for a start, by deleting part of the firmware. DSi works differently it probably wouldn't do anything. Anyway, afaik, later DS Lites were invulnerable to the brickers. They just didn't brick.

11. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Wont these threads ever end [​IMG]

Anyway lets think about it logically, i believe that Nintendo realizes the absence of the Slot-2, many see it as a place to stick the EZ Flash 3 in 1 expansion thing, but to me i see it as the absence of playing many of my GBA games, and most importantly migrating Pokemon to Pokemon D/p/pt (yeah i know Pokemon but yeah i like it [​IMG] )

Im sure that if people make such a big fuss about it, maybe, just maybe, GBA games on the DSi will be available, but yet again that now is far to farfetched to say, yet alone speculate.

12. Dizzy Doom

Newcomer Dizzy Doom Advanced Member

United States
    Anyway, in my opinion, if you wanna play GBA games, buy a goddamn SLOT-2 and a GBA, they aren't even that expensive. Or wait until DSi security gets broken, and then talk about GBA emulation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.