Somehow my console just updated....

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by mediavieja, Dec 19, 2015.

1. mediavieja
    OP

mediavieja Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2010
    Venezuela
    I just turned on my wii u and it showed me that the updated was performing, but i have my router setup to block all nintendo updates, plus i was spoofed to 5.5.0, im so pissed right now that i cant even begin to describe it.... Can someone tell me please what the freak went wrong so my conaole updated itself after almost a year with my router setup to block all updates????

2. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Someone probably reset your router, family member, roommate, or ISP. Should have been using tubehax DNS anyway.

3. tyger

tyger Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2005
    United States
    If I had to guess its probably a mistake you made somewhere. Should have pulled the plug mid update. You probably missed one of the many different update urls and or had quick menu on. Something or you would be seeing alot more of these posts. I seen a post just like this one the other day where it ended up being his fault aswell. Sorry it happen but on the bright side if you believe like alot do(not me) Hykem will save the day before Christmas.

Last edited by tyger, Dec 19, 2015
  4. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    I'm so paranoid about my Wii updating right now its not funny

yuyuyup and GotKrypto67 like this.
  5. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    A spoof only helps you playing online and doesn't prevent updating.
    I gues you didn't block the right servers or the blocking didn't work.

It isn't too bad - the 5.5.0 iosu exploit is in bis way.

6. mediavieja
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2010
    Venezuela
    And thats the only reason for why im not loosing my mind right now, but what i dont understand is why now iv been able to play just fine without getting any updates, i didnt modify anything on my router nor any of my family memebers cause its just me and my wife, i just checkd again the router and its all fine i dont get it why did the console got updated, i need to find a reason cause i dont want this to happen again

7. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    It's really easy. Just keep it offline.

8. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    How are you blocking? By IP? By MAC? Is your Wii U static or DHCP?

9. tyger

tyger Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2005
    United States
    Kinda funny how people always complain on here that they got updated and never give any real details on how they were protected from the update. Like Im protected I had my tin foil hat on when I plugged my router in so update servers where blocked. For all we know that was how you did it.

pronomatser likes this.
  10. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Can I have the Quick Start on if I use Tubehax DNS?

11. mediavieja
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2010
    Venezuela
    i did said at the begining that i blocked all updates from my router, heres a pic of the config iv had for almost a year without any updates
    Screenshot_2015-12-19-14-54-07.png Screenshot_2015-12-19-14-53-49.png

12. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    No idea, maybe their firmware lets stuff through sometimes and you've been lucky for a year. I use MAC filtering too with dd-wrt firmware, no issues.

Also using tubehax as dns for backups.

13. mediavieja
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2010
    Venezuela
    oh and i also have tubehax dns setup on my wii u... so i rly dont know what happened

14. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    1. Disable automatic software downloads under internet settings
    2. Disable Standby function
    3. Setup an internet connection manually, where you enter the SSID and password, then adding Tubehax DNS

As an extra step for no reason at all, I MAC filter my Wii U while Im playing. I only use internet to boot up the exploit then mac filter it right after. I'm getting a Wifi SD card so I can remain completely offline for good.

Tubehax DNS alone, is enough to block updates overall. You have to be on TOP of your Wii U, like literally be next to it so if updates occur, you can unplug it while it's initiating (Which takes a long time to initiate, plenty enough time to unplug)
    You also gotta be aware of the download management icon. it glows while it's downloading something. It's always good to check in there once in a while to see if the update has no progress on it.

Once you have a complete understanding of how to secure yourself and know how the update works, it will never get you unsuspectingly.

URL blocking is NOT a main way to block updates. It's a secondary option after using Tubehas DNS. Me personally, I can't do URL blocking with my router.

The definitive Wii U hacking guide tells you everything you need to know. So to completely rely on URL blocking alone shows how much you read around.

Last edited by MattKimura, Dec 19, 2015
  15. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    paranoid about auto-updating?

1) unplug lan adapter when not in use
    2) add one letter/number to your ssid in the wii u's settings when not in use

if you're willing to put in a few seconds of extra effort, your console will have a hard time auto-updating.

16. ChronoX_

ChronoX_ GBAtemp Regular

Oct 11, 2008
    Netherlands
    Picture 2 - domain 2, typo .ne instead of .net ?

Net-KILLER likes this.
  17. mediavieja
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2010
    Venezuela
    yeah i notice that a long time ago but didnt pay attention cause everytime i tried to update something it always said that it failed cause of the blocking, do u think that one address could of done it... after so long? :sad:

18. ChronoX_

ChronoX_ GBAtemp Regular

Oct 11, 2008
    Netherlands
    Look at your firmware version and I think you can answer your own question.

henn64 and dontay0100 like this.
  19. mediavieja
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2010
    Venezuela
    ur mean :cry: well i just mac blocked my wii, but tubehax dns should of had blocked it too even with that address missing the T at the end... or not? :huh:

20. iQue

iQue GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    Does your router block https requests??