Some questions about Dios Mios

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by TheBraveToaster, Aug 10, 2013.

1. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    So I currently run Dios mios 2.2 using usb loader gx 1215, the reason being I don't believe newer versions of dios mios like my external hard drive. Anyways I have been doing some looking around and there are some GC games I would like to play that I assumed just didn't work with the version of Dios Mios I have but apparently certain game cube games require certain IOS' to be intalled. If anyone has any information on this topic I would greatly appreciate it.

Games I'm looking to run:
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Tony Hawk's underground 1&2
    Need For Speed Underground 1
    Luigi's Mansion
    DBZ budokai 2

*note on the dios mios compatibility list all these games seem to work*
    also if someone could point me in a direction of a list which hard drives work with the newer Dios Mios that would be a great help

2. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    No IOS's run in GC mode. In GC mode the system runs MIOS. MIOS is not dependent on any IOS's.

3. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    Can someone who knows what they are talking respond please lol

not to be rude but you're wrong dude

I really would like to get those games running they are a few of my childhood favorites

4. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Your MIOS overwrites the IOS you use to run your Wii games so you can run your GameCube games instead. And then, once your MIOS kicks in, the DM v2.2/8/whatever boots your games using your new IOS :) I think; someone please back me up

5. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    I repeat: no IOS's are running in GC mode. In GC mode the system runs MIOS. As for dios-mios, and I don't know why more people with large hdd's (which I personally find unnecessary for the task anyway) don't do this - if it doesn't work, install DML and use an SDHC card for the GC games, and USB for Wii games. A 32GB SDHC card will fit around 38 gc games. A 64GB SDHC will fit twice that many.

MIOS is the operating system the wii uses in GC mode. Before it is launched the system runs BC, which lowers the clockspeed and then boots boot2, boot2 then loads MIOS (instead of the system menu). MIOS is a tiny operating system. DM replaces Nintendo's MIOS entirely. There are no IOS's loaded, the only os that gets run in GC mode is MIOS.

Rydian likes this.
  6. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    I've read many forums and seen many tutorials by guys I know they know what they are doing and they contradict what you are saying, if someone could verify what you are saying sure I'll accept it however from what I understand ios' run in the background which only make sense that you would need certain ios' to run certain things. I could be completely wrong but here's a link to this guy's video contradicting what you are saying and I'm pretty sure he knows what he is saying. If you check him out it seems he has been doing this for a long time. he talks about that shit right around the 20 minute mark

7. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    From my understanding, only one Ios can be running at a given time. Certain programs or games require Ios and when A program requires an ios the wii boots up that Iso and uses it, when the enter GC mode or whater it use Mios obviously but then why wouldn't the games I've listed work when they are suppose to work with Dios Mios 2.2, could it all be the external hard drive I use? I have like over 30 GC games or working on it just these five are giving me grief. The Video I linked the guy seems to know what he is talking if someone could go further into detail this would awesome or maybe some things for me to further troubleshoot.

8. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Like Aractus said, the MIOS is an operating system. Nintendo's regular operating system only reads Wii games; the MIOS lets it read GameCube games. IOS248/249 are IOS's that run on Nintendo's regular operating system, while DM runs on MIOS. So then DM is the IOS used under the MIOS. All right? And this guy is thorough: a little too thorough. I only have about 10 wads installed on my Wii and they run everything I need. Sixty-six is overkill.

9. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    Alright then so why wouldn't the games I listed work, if you look at the compatibility list they all say to work with Dios mios 2.2. I have tried everything I could possibly think of, Yes my partition is fat 32 marked as Primary and active, I've tried having a gc disk in, I've updated all the apps I use for usb loaders. The last thing I could possibly think of was updating Dios Mios but for some reason when I use Dios Mios above 2.2 I just get black screen. I'm currently using a 1 tb Verbatim external Hard drive split into three Partitions first partition is fat32 for my gc games, second is WFBS for wii games, and third is NTFC for storage. All marked as primary but just the GC marked as active. Other than what I have done so far I see no reason as to why these games shouldn't work. http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Compatibility_List

When I update Dios Mios I use wad manager 1.7 and install using IOS236

I'm debating on trying a new external Hard Drive I've read WD Elements is great so I was going to go buy one of those but if my current EHD is working with 2.2 newer releases of Dios Mios should broaden the range of EHD it works with not shorten correct?

If I'm wrong please correct me I'm always willing to learn

10. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    No, no, no, no, no... your entire partition should be fat32... and you only need two folders called games and wbfs... this next one sounds stupid, but I have to get it off my chest: you need a memory card inserted in slot A with empty slots in it. I know it's a pain trying to run these games, but it's worth the struggle.

11. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    It is I'm looking forward to getting these games running, everything works all my wii games and most of the gc games with my current setup with the multiple partitions and I like having it set up this way cause I use certain loaders for certain consoles... my setup is weird but I like it. I really want these games running cause me friends use to play these games when we were back in highschool, we're currently playing through gladius and have sunk at least 20 hours in the last week. As for the memory cards the memory card in slot a is empty and slot b only has gladius saved on it the rest of the games I use NMM when possible. I already have 30 or gc games working flawlessly its just these 5 that are giving me grief, luigi's mansion doesn't even start same with ultimate spider-man and Tony hawk's underground 1&2 get to the nintendo logo after I enable progressive patch then they don't do anything. Personally I think it's a dios mios issue after what i've been messing around with but I don't understand why I can't update unless I'm doing something wrong or I'm missing something maybe.

Something I should add is they get past the Dios Mios logo

12. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    Could The Multiple partitions be what's messing with the newer versions of Dios Mios?

If it's the multiple partitions thing would I reformat to 1 partition fat 32, two folders in the root, Games for gc, wbfs for wii games? but would the wii games need to be installed using wbfs manager again or just the iso files?

13. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Aww shit. You don't require certain IOS's to be installed: you need certain revisions of the loader.

Okay: well Luigi's Mansion and Ultimate Spider-Man both run on 1208
    NFS runs on 1213
    Tony Hawk runs on 1191

Go edit the entries in the compatibility list and say these games won't run on USB Loader Gx r1215. The latest that these games were tested was on 1213; don't assume that something that worked on a last revision will work on the current revision. And then get WiiFlow and try them on there. Good luck.

You could've told me you already had games that were working. These five games are not compatible with the current version of USBGx. So just leave the partitions the way they are: if it works, don't try to fix it.

14. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    I tried some more stuff, I updated to 4.3u. I downgraded to r1191 all the way back up to r1215 none of the games work, I just tried switching the loader boot ios to 248 cause I just updated it for metroid prime trilogy, figured I would give it a shot anyway nothing works. Still can't use dios mios 2.10 either

I also tried cfg loader 70r51 I believe the newest one and I get to the same points in those 5 games as I do the usb loader gx r1215 so I believe that should point me more in the direction of dios mios being the problem no?

15. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Yeah, just go back to 2.2 and be (temporarily) happy with the ones you can play. Try re-ripping the games to your hard drive after you've downgraded to 1213/1191/etc. Not all of them, just these five.

16. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    I'm going to open a post and see if anyone knows why I can't go past 2.2 and go from there thanks for your help

lol currently playing worms 3d and making a fantasy star team and naming all my worms after victoria secret fashion models hahahahaha

17. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    Well then, you call me wrong, and give me some hearsay nonsense about "somebody said that there are other IOS's that run in the background" based on a youtube video?? You're right that he talks about "that shit" around the 20 minute mark, too bad he doesn't know his shit!

Why don't you try reading instead:
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/MIOS: "MIOS is a special version of IOS that runs when the Wii enters GameCube mode. The same MIOS is used for all GameCube games and software."
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS: "The only time an IOS is not running is during GameCube mode (during which time MIOS is running instead), or when BootMii is running (during which time mini is running instead)."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_system_software: "Only one IOS version can run at any given time. The only time an IOS isn't running is when the Wii enters GameCube backward compatibility mode, during which the Wii runs a variant of IOS specifically for GameCube games, MIOS."

18. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    I don't know if you noticed but we came to this conclusion hours ago, thanks anywho. Either way I think I'll end up buy a new External Hard Drive.

19. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    Why don't you try an SDHC (32/64GB) card for GC games?? That wouldn't interfere with your HDD in any way...

20. TheBraveToaster
    OP

TheBraveToaster Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2013
    Canada
    Cause I have quite the collection of games, I'm trying to create the ultimate emulation machine and believe it or not the wii works better than a computer. It has over double the compatibility with GC and Wii games and once you get a game working you don't ever have to mess with settings from game to game like you do using dolphin or something else. Being able to have NES SNES GBA N64 GC and WII games all on one convenient console is just too amazing, it's even more fun when your buds come over and you play the old you use to play with them years and years ago. And with customizemii you can easily make this machine so user friendly.

I've come to the conclusion that my problem is not being able to update Dios Mios past 2.2 which could either be the make of my HDD or the way I have the three partitions set up on my HDD. Until I can correctly update Dios Mios to 2.8 or later I can't go any further with my trouble shooting with the games themselves

I tried opening up a new thread to talk about this but it's not getting any attention
    Thanks to everyone for their help I nwo have quite a larger understanding for the Ios, cIos, Mios and how they all work on a modded wii

I might give the SDHC a try anyways just to see how it works, my plan is to have NES SNES GBA N64 GC Wii and all the sega games working on my wii with only one HDD if I can figure out a way to where I don't have to switch out sd cards or usb drives I will use an SDHC