Some question I have about installing a CFW.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Jon O'Brien, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jon O'Brien
    OP

Jon O'Brien GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    1. When installing a CFW do I get homebrew on my 3ds and then install a CFW or do I install a CFW one time? (which one is the better option)
    2. If I installed a CFW (rxtols) is it possible to install homebrew on the emunand or on the sysnand?
    3. Where do I install .cia files? On the sysnand or on the emunand.
    4. Where can I get the .cia files for FBI installer, Big Blue Menu and Dev Menu?

Last edited by Jon O'Brien, Jan 7, 2016
  2. williamdabastrd

williamdabastrd GBAtemp Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Ohio
    1 - A custom firmware is just a modified system menu (for end-user purposes) that allows for customization the ordinary system would not allow.
    2 - You can use homebrew on both.
    3 - CIA files are like WAD files for the Wii, if you ever modified that. It's a package with a ticket (kind of a security text file type of deal) that details what the thing you're installing is and why. sysNAND and emuNAND are just two home menus, one on your system's NAND (internal storage) and one on your SD card via a fake, emulated NAND.
    4 - Search function.
    5 - You can't ask for that here, that's piracy and is against forum rules.

EDIT: Here is the giant sticky at the top of this forum with all of this information that you passed over after not using the search function.

Last edited by williamdabastrd, Jan 7, 2016
  3. Jon O'Brien
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Thank you. Also what is the best CFW to install.

4. williamdabastrd

williamdabastrd GBAtemp Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Ohio
    That's personal preference, go read the threads over in the Flashcards and Custom Firmwares subsection of the 3DS forum.

5. Jon O'Brien
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    okay