Some newbie q's

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by ackers, Oct 4, 2008.

Oct 4, 2008

Some newbie q's by ackers at 12:14 AM (2,271 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. ackers
    OP

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I might be buying a PSP (Phat I think) off a friend but I have some q's. I have read the tutorials sticked but I'm still a bit confused. Here goes...

Do I need to buy anything other than a PSP to get CFW running on it? I read you could buy a Pandora's battery and I also read you could just make one yourself by cutting a certain part of the battery circuit board?

Can I use just one memory stick? I read that you have to make a magic memory stick and then use another one? So what do I do with my magic memory stick when I'm done, throw it away?

Can I play N64 games on it? How's the compatibility? I'd be interested in play Zelda OOT!

What's the homebrew scene like? Is it as good as the DS scene?

I remember someone telling me they used Lumines (or was it a save file in GTA?) to hack their PSP, how come I never read about this in PSP hacking guides now? Is this an old technique?

That's all I can think of for now! [​IMG]

2. pepsibluehawk87

Member pepsibluehawk87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No, you don't NEED too. It's just recommended.

Yes, you can use just one.

Yes, n64 emulation is possible. I don't know, I don't play it.

It's good. I'd like to say so.

Yes, it's an old technique.

3. Monster On Strin

Member Monster On Strin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Answers to your questions

You may need two batteries
    I don't use my magic memory stick anymore lol, but you can fit a small game on it
    N64 Emu sucks
    Homebrew is so and so its not like the ds scene

4. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK thanks for the answers. I already read that guide.

Why do you say I might need two batteries? If I do the pencil trick and it goes well I should be okay with one battery, right?

Is it okay to buy an 8gb memory stick and use it as a magic memory stick as well as play games on etc.? I don't understand it when some ppl say they don't use their magic memory stick anymore... why is this, because of size?

Can it run PSX games well? I'd like to play FFVII

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Magic Memory Sticks need to be 32MB-2GB (I think it was 2 anyway, 4 might work aswell) for a PSP Phat, and 64MB-4GB for PSP Slim. They can't be bigger, or at least that's what I've read nearly everywhere in relative forums.

As for N64, look for Daedalus. Generally nearly all games PHail with a capital PH. However, some work fairly well. Use http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58500 as reference to the games that work. For Zelda: OoT, it MAY work, but it WILL "artifact", which means random graphical glitches will be everywhere. If you want to play Zelda: OoT again, you're best off going with the GC version.

For PSX games, it's got nearly 100% playability. Some games will require a changed ID # to work better, and about half the games will require an older version of POPSLoader to run (usually version 3.71). POPSLoader is designed to let you choose the version you want to run at the start of each game, so that's usually fine - see other threads on how to install it, or just the instructions that come with it. For a compatibility list, use http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title...patibility_List

EDIT: For FF7, you can either set it up to play 1CD at a time, using the same save file (each CD must have the ID of CD1 then) or you can have them all put into 1 big (I think it was around 2GB) EBOOT file (the file used to play PSX games) and use the inbuilt disk changing menu when prompted. The same applies to nearly all multi-disk games.

Anything else, just ask - we're all a helpful, friendly bunch, and we probably all have macros to the various tutorial pages on the forums ;D

6. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States

Well if f you have 1 battery, and you cut the circuit, then its only good for a pandora battery, You cant revert it, maybe you can, but you'd be better off getting a second battery,

N64 Emu sucks, I can run Super Mario 64 and Smash, at close to, if not full speed, everything else sucks.

Yes it can. POPSLOADER Google it.

7. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hmmm so about the Pandora battery, do I need the Pandora battery in my PSP at all times for the CFW to work? In that case I should only need one battery. What would be the point in having two batteries?

And magic memory sticks...... so I could use the stick that's in my friends PSP (it's probably 64mb so that should be okay) to be used as a magic memory stick... but then what do I do with the magic memory stick when its 'done its business', is it useless then? Is there a reason why 8gb sticks don't work because I'd like to buy an 8gb stick to fill up on.

I have 0 experience of anything related to a PSP so please bear with me! [​IMG]

8. Jasonage

Member Jasonage GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ok, the Pandora battery DOES work to play normally. But the maximum battery life I've managed to charge it to is 5 hours. And bear in mind it only works normally if you KEEP the MMS files on your Memory stick.

Just buy a pandora battery off dealextreme + 4GB card

EDIT: Oh also, the MMS files are only files, they don't harm your Memory stick, you can use it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again until it breaks.

9. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    But what is the point in buying a pandora battery if I can just make one myself?

If the magic memory stick is only files then why don't they work on anything over 2gb sticks like Originality said?

10. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I think it's just an old myth that people just keep repeating because they don't know any better

11. Jasonage

United Kingdom
    It worked on my 1GB..

And if you make one yourself, it is very risky - A wrong move and your battery can go BOOM.

Plus I'm not sure if home-made pandoras can be used as normal batteries.

12. g4med4d

Member g4med4d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, unless you using an OEM PSP battery to make it into a Pandora battery, it's not worth it to mess around with an original PSP battery. That's my opinion. OEM batteries do not last as long and well, they're just not the same. Plus you'll be taking the risk of messing the battery up for a couple mins of use. Better off to just buy a Pandora battery and keep it as that.

You can probably tell I'm not much of a risk taker but that's just me.[​IMG]

13. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok then but from this guide it says you can easily repair the battery so there's no a lot of risk involved...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

What I don't get is this... say if I did the trick above what does that actually do, short circuit the battery? Does this prevent it from charging ever again?

What does the Pandora battery do differently to doing it yourself on your own official battery?

How much are Pandora batteries to buy and where do I get them?

EDIT: hmmmmm from that guide it says Slim.... no mention of the Phat so doesn't it work on the Phat?

14. neveras

Member neveras GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    If you live in even a moderatly decent sized town, I'd actually suggest slapping an ad on it and you're bound to find someone who can do it quick for 20 bucks. Seriously there's no need to have the battery unless you plan on mucking about with your psp. Once it's flashed and the CFW is on it, then you're good to go.

15. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    Erm, what?

"Seriously there's no need to have the battery unless you plan on mucking about with your psp. "

What battery do you mean??? The original one that comes with the PSP or the Pandora one you buy in the shops. Why is there no need to have it??? I'm so forking confused!!!

16. Jasonage

United Kingdom
    There's no need for the pandora unless you plan on hacking your psp he means, WELL DUHHH.

Ok basically, there are guides on creating your own PHAT and SLIM battery, just find a PHAT tutorial. Also, I'm not sure exactly what happens, but your battery can still charge.

If you do not completely snap the pin off with your pencil/needle, then after you have done with the battery you can slip the pin back in place, and it will continue working as normal.

17. kaozskyblade

Newcomer kaozskyblade Member

United States
    Im usually just a lurker here on gbatemp, but i saw this thread and decided to chip in. I just got a psp and installed cfw on it. Love this thing, running "backups" has never been easier.

Back on track: If you can find someone who has a psp running cfw, you can just tell them to make your battery into a pandora battery by running a simple homebrew program on their psp. The same goes for the magic memory stick. I read the guide on getting cfw on the psp posted here, but found this video to be of alot better use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaTrdE4jVy4

This is only useful if you can find someone with a psp running cfw. If you can, the whole process shouldnt take more than 10 mins, and it is a simpler and more efficient than modding your battery or buying a pandora one.

18. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    About MMS, whenever I tried making on with an 8GB MS, I would always get errors about the header size or something like that. For this reason, I tend to believe the "myth" that it won't work if it's too big. I did manage to get it to work with a 4GB MS though.

Pandoras can be used as a normal battery, but it is somewhat limited as the others have said. However, if you softmod the battery (e.g. by using the Pandora Installer homebrew as suggested in Desperter Del Cementario tutorials) then you'll see how easy it is to make a pandora. If you follow the instructions properly, it'll be just as easy to revert the battery to normal (i.e. by pressing a different button when prompted). Even if you muck it up somewhere, it has an option to forcibly turn a pandora back into a normal battery, although this doesn't work 100% of the time, but is still better than nothing.

When I bricked my PSP Phat, I simply used my PSP Slim to turn the Phat battery into a pandora, then used it and an MMS with DdC7 to install CFW 4.01 on it. It only took a couple minutes more to turn the pandora back to normal, and to reformat the MMS into a normal MS (not needed, but I just felt like it).

19. ackers
    OP

United Kingdom
    I just found out that the PSP I'm getting tomorrow has a 1gb memory stick. Should be perfect as a magic memory stick. I'd like to buy some stuff from the net now so I can mod my PSP ASAP.

1gb memory stick - if I turn this into a magic memory stick will I have some space left to put games on it? Do I need the magic memory stick inside my PSP at all times to access the hack? Can I just use the magic memory stick once to do its business and then move on to a new non-magic memory stick?

I have a spare 4gb microSDHC card with me, all I need is the pro duo adapter to use it. Can I use this after I've hacked my PSP with magic memory stick?

In other words: use 1gb stick as magic memory stick, once hacked put stick in cupboard, use 4gb microSDHC card as main memory for games, music, homebrew etc.

20. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada

have you actually read any of the guides that are stickied?

you need the pandora battery once, and once only to get CFW loaded

you need the MMS once, and once only to get CFW loaded.

once you're on CFW, you can reformat the MMS and use it like normal

you can then update your CFW via wifi from then on