Hacking Some newbe questions

balteck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi all, I will soon buy a used PAL WII U 32 GB and I want to softmod it.

I will use the Smash Bros Brawl exploit (it is the only game exploitable that I have).
Is it better to update to the last firmware version (5.3.2E I guess) before or after the softmod mod?
For what I understood, the vWII system is the same (4.3E) over each WII U updates. Is it right?

I've read to backup the NAND after mod it:
- Do I need to use xyzzy or FStoolbox?
- Will it backup vWII Nand or WII U nand (I don't know is they are separated)?

My goal is to play with Gamecube games (I have many titles that I use with Dolphin), Virtual Console (my friend give me the USA complete collection), some WII backup that I found on the net (mainly USA and scrubbed), original PAL DVD and original PAL WII U bluray (I wish to buy Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8). I also have World of GOO PAL wad that I'm playing with Doplhin. Is it possible?

If so:
- What is the bigger capacity supported for a external HD (I preferer a powered 3.5" USB HDD always connected)?
- Can I put GC, WII and VC on the same disk? Or VC on internal 32 GB and the rest on USB HDD?
- What are the best recommended Homebrew apps to reach this goal?
- I've read that I can use sneek to put NAND on SD. Is it a good choice to avoid brick or it is useless? I need a 32 GB SD? Sneek or nand emulation is the same thing?
- D2x uses one or two USB ports (normal o alternate). It means only for USB disk where are stored iso images or in general? I prefer the best compatibility, but I also want to use also GC adapter for GC games that uses 2 USB ports.

And (finally) the last 2 questions:
I've read that Super Smash Bros for WII U may bricks the console. A WII U softmodded can be fixed for this memory error? If I format the WII U after softmod it, I will brick it (both after smash crash that to clean the NAND)?

Thank you very much to everyone wishes to answer all my questions

Balteck

Brunho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
From what I heard, the smash crash was just a rumor. I mean, there were some bricking consoles, but the problem wasn´t with Smash, it was with with the WiiU themselves. That said, Nintendo has already released some updates after that rumor and I have Smash, played every mode of it and never experienced bricking, so you shouldn´t worry about that.

Many of your questions were answered on other topics. I will link my own topic, where I gathered all the info I learned, maybe it can help:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-vwii.383100/

The only thing I didn´t cover is GC emulation, but I think the best answer to that is Nintendont, there is a Sticky about it.

balteck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you very much for the link.

Next Week I will have the WII U and I'll try to softmod it with a 2TB Fat32 USB Disk.

If I will have some problem/doubt, I'll post specific request

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously think we need a new section for the forums; "People who are too lazy to read the threads and post their issues/questions as a laundry list in a new thread." There should be a fee; if anyone answers all of your questions and experts agree it is legit, then you owe them like $10 or $15 or something for them taking their time to answer YOUR questions because YOU were too damned lazy to look around. Lol.

balteck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The problem is that I'm not too lazy to look around. The problem is the opposite. I've read many and many informations that are in contrast each other, maybe because outdated or incomplete.
For instance:
here (https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/) there is a guide updated the 19 Feb 2015
here (https://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/#post-4493929) there other guide updated the 24 Feb 2015

In the second I can soft mod only WiiU with 2.1.0/2.1.3/3.0.1/3.1.0/4.0.0/4.0.2/4.0.3 System Menu, In the second no mention of firmware, in this post (https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiware-vc-installation-via-vwii.368688/#post-5046958) seems that 5.0 is sofmoddable, but no mention of which exploit I need to use.
In the 24 feb guide I found to install also cIOS 236, in the 19 Feb no mention of this cIOS and in a post of Cyan at 14 Oct 2014 (https://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-wiiware-vc.372292/#post-5119059) he wrote that I don't need IOS236. (homebrew on vWii don't use it anymore).

And I can post tons of other examples. I trust everyone, but it is difficult to trust a post that tells to do and not to do the same thing.

Or other questions are without answers.
For instance: Can I only install a VC/Wiiware wad of the same region or also different region?

So, 'cause in every guide there is the warning that I can brick the vWII with some wads/tools/etc (but I don't know which ones) and that it is impossible to restore the nand backup with a software method, I've prefered to ask before, than after the (possible) problem.

That's all, without any polemics

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that I'm not too lazy to look around. The problem is the opposite. I've read many and many informations that are in contrast each other, maybe because outdated or incomplete.
For instance:
here (https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/) there is a guide updated the 19 Feb 2015
here (https://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/#post-4493929) there other guide updated the 24 Feb 2015

In the second I can soft mod only WiiU with 2.1.0/2.1.3/3.0.1/3.1.0/4.0.0/4.0.2/4.0.3 System Menu, In the second no mention of firmware, in this post (https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiware-vc-installation-via-vwii.368688/#post-5046958) seems that 5.0 is sofmoddable, but no mention of which exploit I need to use.
In the 24 feb guide I found to install also cIOS 236, in the 19 Feb no mention of this cIOS and in a post of Cyan at 14 Oct 2014 (https://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-wiiware-vc.372292/#post-5119059) he wrote that I don't need IOS236. (homebrew on vWii don't use it anymore).

And I can post tons of other examples. I trust everyone, but it is difficult to trust a post that tells to do and not to do the same thing.

Or other questions are without answers.
For instance: Can I only install a VC/Wiiware wad of the same region or also different region?

So, 'cause in every guide there is the warning that I can brick the vWII with some wads/tools/etc (but I don't know which ones) and that it is impossible to restore the nand backup with a software method, I've prefered to ask before, than after the (possible) problem.

That's all, without any polemics

I sympathize. There are many people like you (including me) who want to softmod a device, but every guide contradicts another. Everyone also has unique issues. In this thread, nbchick's Wii U had something broken that prevented it from running the HackMii installer. No guide would have worked. If she hadn't posted here on gbatemp, then she may have never gotten a softmodded vWii. I think anyone who is snooty enough to assume that noobs should just read the stickies and not post questions (I'm looking at you Ray Lewis) should just keep those feelings to themself.
(Sorry if my post seems a little harsh, but this has happened too many times.)

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
I seriously think we need a new section for the forums; "People who are too lazy to read the threads and post their issues/questions as a laundry list in a new thread." There should be a fee; if anyone answers all of your questions and experts agree it is legit, then you owe them like $10 or $15 or something for them taking their time to answer YOUR questions because YOU were too damned lazy to look around. Lol.

who the fudge is gonna wanna read through 200 pages of mostly crap to dig out there answers. and no ray the answers are not always there like the blocking internet guide............. your conquest of giving no imformation/wrong imformation intentially to people like you claimed with the xbox scene is really pathetic dude grow up. personally i think thier should be a fee for filling up threads without a single bit of information

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
who the fudge is gonna wanna read through 200 pages of mostly crap to dig out there answers. and no ray the answers are not always there like the blocking internet guide............. your conquest of giving no imformation/wrong imformation intentially to people like you claimed with the xbox scene is really pathetic dude grow up. personally i think thier should be a fee for filling up threads without a single bit of information
The stickies are all up to date, if they weren't up to date they wouldn't be stickies. Yes some threads are out of date, just simply use he up to date ones and think for yourself
Also you can't compare someone having a unique problem to a thread like this, this thread is clearly just because you're too lazy to look up the info and you want to be spoonfed. I know this because I had all these questions and I found all in pre existing threads over a year ago, do some research and don't get butthurt if people call you out

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The stickies are all up to date, if they weren't up to date they wouldn't be stickies. Yes some threads are out of date, just simply use he up to date ones and think for yourself
Also you can't compare someone having a unique problem to a thread like this, this thread is clearly just because you're too lazy to look up the info and you want to be spoonfed. I know this because I had all these questions and I found all in pre costing threads over a year ago, do some research and don't get butthurt if people call you out
Yes, lol. To call a person out apparently means a person who...contributes nothing to try to ridicule me...lol...smh.

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: