lindoke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi all,

I had my son's Wii softmodded some time ago and the little guy has a lot of fun playing his Super Mario games. He plays the games of a WBFS formated HDD and everyhing works just great. I download an ISO game file he would like now and then but now I have a problem with two games I downloaded for him. They are both ISO files of 4.37 GB and when I want to transfer them to the WBFS formated HDD using Windows Backup Manager they don't transfer at all. I can see that something goes wrong because they transfer in a couple of seconds wich is of course usually not the case because transferring takes several minutes. After that I see the game title on the right hand side written in red and every time Backup Manager shows like he transferred 200-300 MB but that's not the case. I don't see the title of the game nowhere in the game list and the numer of installed games still stays the same as before so nothing happened actually. The size of the ISO's are not the problem because I transferred several ISO's of that same size without any problem. I noticed that the transferred ISO's on HDD show a little bit smaller (just under 4GB) once correctly transferred but that seems to normal as at that moment they were altered into WBFS format.

Anyway, if there is someone that could know the answer why some of those ISO's won't go trough to the HDD I would appreciate to hear the solution.

Thanks and kind greetings.

Oh, and please forgive my writing mistakes as English is not my mothet tongue.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What are the games you have problems with?
Unscrubbed/shrinked Wii disc images only come in 2 sizes, 4.37 GB for single layer games and 9.something GB for dual layer games. When you convert them to WBFS (partition or file on FAT/NTFS partition) all the unneeded dummy data that blows up the image to the "correct" size is deleted, so the games only use up the space they actually need. And Wii games can be really small, i.e. New Super Mario Bros Wii only has around 400 MB of actual data/binaries.
BTW you should perhaps consider converting the WBFS partiton to a FAT32 partition with .wbfs files on them with wbfs2fat. FAT has some benefits over WBFS (i.e. Windows and its filesystem tools can read it) and no disadvantages I'm aware of. And wbfs2fat keeps your games, at if every Wii image on the disc is intact.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
1) WBFS partitioning has been deprecated for quite a while now. Just format the hard drive back to its NTFS standard, convert the games to .wbfs or .iso, then copy them to the drive.

2) Which games are you using? Some games are unusually small in WBFS form; i.e. Animal Crossing is 20MB.

3) Did you verify the MD5 of either ISO?

4) If you need help with Point 1, use Modmii.

fig2k4

Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
If you see any errors (usually red text), remember to check the main log for details. You can quickly send me this log by using the menu Help->Feedback.. or just send the latest log from the log folder however you like. If I can see the full log, I should be able to tell what went wrong.

Cheers.

lindoke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi guys,

Sorry to reply this late due to lack of time. I will paste a part from the log where you can see the 2 games (Beyblade, Super Sonic Racer) that are refused by Backup Manager to load to the WBFS HDD:

07:18:55 (MountDrive1Thread) Added disc. RENP8P Sonic and the Black Knight
07:18:55 (MountDrive1Thread) Added disc. SRIP78 Rio
07:18:55 (MountDrive1Thread) Added disc. SDUP41 The Smurfs: Dance Party
07:18:55 (MountDrive1Thread) Added disc. SCJP4Q LEGO Pirates
07:18:55 (MountDrive1Thread) Added disc. RMBE01 Mario Super Sluggers
07:18:55 (MountDrive1Thread) Added disc. R4QP01 Mario Strikers Charged Football
07:18:55 (MountDrive1Thread) Added disc. SMFE4Q Phineas and Ferb Across the 2nd Dimension
07:18:55 (MountDrive1Thread) Added disc. SQME52 Spider-Man: Edge of Time
07:18:55 (MountDrive1Thread) Valid drive. Schijf (H:) - WBFS
07:18:56 (MountDrive1Thread) Found discs. 42
07:18:56 (MountDrive1Thread) Thread terminated.
07:19:42 (AddFiles) Open dialog shown..
07:19:51 (AddFilesMenu) Open dialog returned true
07:19:51 (AddFilesThread) Thread started
07:19:51 (AddFilesThread) File count 1
07:19:51 (AddFilesThread) Disc added. SBBE18 BEYBLADE
07:19:51 (AddFilesThread) Valid discs added. 1
07:19:52 (AddFilesThread) Thread terminated.
07:20:00 (AddFiles) Open dialog shown..
07:20:02 (AddFilesMenu) Open dialog returned true
07:20:03 (AddFilesThread) Thread started
07:20:03 (AddFilesThread) File count 1
07:20:03 (AddFilesThread) Disc added. SRSE20 SuperSonicWii
07:20:03 (AddFilesThread) Valid discs added. 1
07:20:03 (AddFilesThread) Thread terminated.

lindoke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just had another game (Sonic Zero Gravity) that I couldn't load to the HDD with Wii Backup Manager. Exactly the same problem as the two other games before. Then I tried to load it again using WBFS Manager and suprisingly with that software it worked and I could load it. Tomorrow I'll try to do the same thing with those two other games that I couldn't load. Possible that with WBFS Manager they both load.

Does anyone heard this problem before that loading a game to a WBFS HDD doesn't work with Wii Backup Manager but does load with WBFS Manager?

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use wimms iso tools. You can use qtwitgui, if you prefer a gui. I never had any problems with it. There is a verify command in it too.

My wii is relatively new (LU something), can't play game cube using burned DVDs. I got a 32 GB SD card to use swiss, but my kids lost interest in them; didn't try after that.

lindoke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I read about those wimms iso tools that you mentioned. They mention Gamecube games. I downloaded some gamecube games but I read about it that in that case I need an emulator. Is this the only way to play gamecube games on a WII, with an emulator?

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I read about those wimms iso tools that you mentioned. They mention Gamecube games. I downloaded some gamecube games but I read about it that in that case I need an emulator. Is this the only way to play gamecube games on a WII, with an emulator?
The Wii has hardware "emulation" for the GameCube already builtin as all vital components have a legacy mode to funtion like a GameCube's. The problem is that newer Wiis can't read burned discs and there is no easy solution for playing GC images from hard disc.
So if your Wii is old enough you can just burn the GC images to DVDs and play them with a disc launcher like NeoGamma. You can even burn multiple GC images to 1 DVD using a special tool.
To find out if your Wii can play burned discs just post your serial here, somebody'll tell you if you disc drive is old enough. I haven't a user-friendly at hand for lookup atm.
Oh and BTW, the Backup Manager you are using seems to have a problem with you Images, it would be good if you'd take the author (fig2k4) up on his offer and send him a full log so he'll possibly be able to fix the bug.

lindoke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for all the replies guys. As I mentioned before I had a game that wouldn't load with Wii Backup Manager but did load with WBS Manager. So tomorrow I' will try those load those other two problem games with WBS Manager and if that works WBS Manager is going to be my tool from now on to load the games to the hard drive. As far as the Gamecube games, it's not a big deal at the moment. I downloaded some and read some tutorials how to install those emulators on the Wii. I'm just afrais that I might do something wrong and leave my little boy with a "brick". Also I read somewhere that the Wii controls are not always usuable on those Gamecube games and that you actually need Gamecube controls connected in some way to the Wii to be able to play those games. To answer Gabelvampire's question, my son's Wii is a 4.3 version I believe. It's the 25th aniversary from Mario Bros Version. The red one. Bought it like 8 months ago so it's quite new.
Anyway, I will come back tomorrow to let you guys know how the loading of those two other "problem" games went.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah that Wii's disc drive won't read burned discs. And you need a GameCube controllers as the Wii controllers are deactivated in GameCube mode. The only ways for you to play GameCube games on this Wii require a bit extra hardware, i.e. with a SDGecko to play games from SD via the GC Memory Card slot with a software called Swiss (found here on GBATemp).

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1) WBFS partitioning has been deprecated for quite a while now. Just format the hard drive back to its NTFS standard, convert the games to .wbfs or .iso, then copy them to the drive.

2) Which games are you using? Some games are unusually small in WBFS form; i.e. Animal Crossing is 20MB.

3) Did you verify the MD5 of either ISO?

4) If you need help with Point 1, use Modmii.

Animal crossing IS NOT 20 MB in .wbfs format!

TolgaKavi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I also am having some trouble with transfering files to my harddrive.

The text showed red, so I checked my log, this also happens with Metroid: Other M

4fu4pg.png

Any idea how I can workaround this error?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4