Some Info Required Please

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bigbadphil, Jan 9, 2010.

Jan 9, 2010

Some Info Required Please by bigbadphil at 3:33 AM (1,247 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. bigbadphil
    OP

Newcomer bigbadphil Member

United Kingdom
    Hi folks, I am getting a wii tomorrow and am just wondering if it will play games that have been burnt onto a blank dvdr when I have softmodded it. Here is some info on it that I got from the wii chib db.

The Wii has a RVL-001(EUR) model number and is produced for the European market. The copyright year is 2006.

Your drive most likely has the following chipset:

* There is a 75% chance the chipset is GC2-D2E and covered in black glue.
    * And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2E.

Thanks folks.

PS. which guide should I follow off this forum? Which guide has been tried and tested to successfully work.

2. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  3. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
  4. bigbadphil
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys, but also in my question was can you tell from the information given in my first post that the wii will successfully play burnt dvdr games? I know the newer wii's cant play them from disc. As this is an older wii, just wondering if it will be possible to do so.

Thanks again

5. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Yes it should be good for DVD-R games. The epoxy covered chipsets were an effort to prevent modchip installation, but as your going softmod route this doesn't affect you. Its the newest D3-2 drives that can't read DVD-R. Go forth and softmod my friend

6. bigbadphil
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks bazamuffin, really appriciate the help, im going to use the guide on here (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901) to do it. I am guessing that it will have 4.2 on it already, but if it has not, with it not being softmodded in the first place, should I update using the normal software update method or should I go through the motions if updating it like it says in the start of the guide using the update.zip?

Hope you get what I mean.

Thanks again

7. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    If you want 4.2 firmware then updated officially as per the guide and follow from there. Thats the most used guide on here, tried and trusted

8. bigbadphil
    OP

United Kingdom
    Even if the wii has had no softmodding on it whatsoever? I thought that guide to update was for people who softmodded and needed to update to 4.2. If its had no mods on it updating to 4.2 thru the normal ways of the wii's software update would be safe to carry on the guide as normal after it's finished

9. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    Where the guide starts at 'Modify 4.2', this is when people have updated to 4.2 officially and want to softmod. You can either follow the offline guide to get to 4.2 and then softmod, or update officially and starts the guide from 'Modify 4.2'. The choice is yours dude, good luck!!

10. bigbadphil
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks baz.

I've just come home from getting the wii and it is on version 3.3E. I'm going to update it manually from 3.3E to 4.2 and then softmod it.

Is it safe to do that?

Again, thanks to all that have contributed with the help

11. bigbadphil
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hey, was just reporting back to say thank you to all that helped me get clarification of my questions before I modded. My brother did it for me today with the guide I got from here. He had a couple of problems after he had done everything getting the games working, but in the end after some jigging about, it all works fine. I dont know exactly what the problems were but at the end of the day the guide here helped a lot.

Anyway, thanks very much again everyone who helped me out. You are all a credit to this place.

May you reign supreme for ever more [​IMG]