Question Some honest advice Required

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by shanefromoz, Sep 30, 2018.

1. shanefromoz
    OP

shanefromoz GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    Hello,

I have a Nintendo Switch which has been banned so can not download game updates when required.
    I am finding it a little hard to find game updates.
    I also have a new switch which can be hacked but i am worried it will end up exactly the same as my current switch.
    Just need honest advice.

1/. Keep current banned switch and try to find updates? Struggling to find atm.
    2/. Add cfw to new switch, if i do this and obtain game updates through Nintendo servers will it end up in a ban?
    3/. Keep new switch till coolboot is released see it is not ippatched?

Thanks

Last edited by shanefromoz, Sep 30, 2018
  2. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    I'd like to know that too :v

3. HellaJvke

HellaJvke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    In your mind
    if youre uding a hacked switch with custom firmware you shouldnt go online at all.
    i keep mine in airplane mode at all times.

most updates are unnecessary, and if its needed for stability one could likely find it using google or reddit.

make a clean nand backup before you hack your switch so you can potentially restore it and use online functionality again later on.

GunzOfNavarone and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  4. shanefromoz
    OP

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    Which part please mate?

5. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    1/ Are updates the same as full games? Since they're free and required to play base games, are they legal to distribute or link in general? I'm not sure of the legal requirements.
    2/ Just assume cfw will lead to a ban at the moment. The scene is still figuring out things

Last edited by osaka35, Sep 30, 2018
  6. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    If you've got a clean switch then why would you put yourself through the process of trying to find updates again with that (if you're finding it hard).

Just keep it clean, buy your games and then for your homebrew use your banned switch?

7. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    I want to use my New Switch to get updated for my banned Switch... I wonder if it's possible.

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I'm starting to lose track of how many new threads you keep making asking a different question; either continue asking questions in that thread or make a post here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/ There is absolutely no reason you need to make a thread to ask a question unless somehow your situation cannot be answered with a simple search and/or in a thread.

If you risk obtaining the updates offline, you risk getting banned and the current bans limit game updates. So regardless if you don't or do end up being banned, you will need to find the updates offline. The best situation is having 2 Switch units, one legitimate and one hacked. The legitimate Switch can even share game updates with the hacked one locally, provided the legitimate console has a legitimate copy of the game as well as its update.

huma_dawii likes this.
  9. shanefromoz
    OP

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    Thanks mate

10. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Finding game updates is actually kind of easy, if you know what to google. Just a few hints here:

First, find out the titleID of the game you want to update. Check this table and find the game you want to update (CTRL-F). Now that you have the titleID, change the third number from the right (0) to an 8. For example, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has titleID 0100152000022000. Change the third 0 from the right to an 8, so now you have 0100152000022800. In the Title Versions column, you can see that this game had 7 updates released so far. Usually, you only need the latest update. The latest is 458752. Now visit google and search for this: [UPD][0100152000022800][v458752]. Keep the brackets, they will help. Now the results should point to some sites allowing you to get the update. Just try a few until you get what you want. Easy enough.

11. shanefromoz
    OP

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    Thanks so much mate. Really appreciate your help

Dust2dust likes this.
  12. Loko4

Loko4 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 19, 2011
    Brazil
    awesome but the list is outdated

13. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Possible. But it's unimportant since once you've found a website to get the updates from, you just browse what they offer and no longer need the list. I was just showing a way to easily find those "forbidden to talk about" sites.

14. shanefromoz
    OP

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    Can find titleid using cdnsp also