Some help with a bricked PSP-3000

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SuperScore29, Sep 11, 2015.

1. SuperScore29
    OP

SuperScore29 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    The store that sells the Ice Climbers amiibo
    I bricked my PSP a few months/year ago. I can't remember properly, but I was adding a custom bootup into the flash0/1?(cant remember). After I came to launch a game, the PSP froze with my theme's background there. I could still access the CFW Recovery Menu(which the CFW was not permanent), but, being the noob I was back then, I turned it off.

Now, after so long, I'm just asking, has there been a way yet to fix bricked 3000's? I know I'm not the only one and alot more other people have experienced the same. Could there be a way to access the console's memory? Maybe the flash0/1?

Summary:
    -Bricked PSP-3000. No permanent CFW. Cannot access Recovery Menu.

Also, when I boot it up, depending what buttons I hold, the longer the console will stay on. Most of the times the UMD laser does its thing, sometimes it doesn't. Just before the console shuts down, it lets out a big click sound from the speakers. I haven't contacted Sony yet, though, from what I've heard, I'm better off buying another PSP.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Unless you have a full dump of the internal memory, it's a paperweight. With no access to the recovery menu you have no means to boot a firmware installer.

3. SuperScore29
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    So, I'm better off buying another one and selling my original for parts?

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To my knowledge there are no ways for you to recover the system at this point short of sending it to Sony or hardware flashing it.

You could *try* entering failsafe mode by holding the HOME button, the Recovery Mode by holding L-trigger (or the R-trigger or the SELECT button depending on the CFW, retry if L-trigger fails) or the emergency uninstall combination of HOME + O + X + START + SELECT button while booting the system (must be a cold boot, meaning from a fully turned off state).

5. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    If you're using a PSP that's not "fully hackable" (select 2000s, 3000s, Gos) then you should NEVER touch the NAND (the Flashs). If you can't access any of the menus Foxi4 mentioned, it's scrap. Keep it around for spare parts, as good Brite parts are a bit more expensive, assuming you intend to replace it with another Brite. Other than that, unless you want to try to send it in the Sony, it's dead.

Last edited by TecXero, Sep 11, 2015
  6. SuperScore29
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    Well, I tried all the button inputs, no luck. I should've never trusted that website I downloaded the files from, I remember it saying "works with all models of PSP". :unsure: I might trade it in to EB Games or something, they take 'em and refurbish 'em themselves. Also, as Foxi4 mentioned, hardware flashing it. How would I be able to do that?

7. [^Blark^]

[^Blark^] GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2012
    United States
    just buy another psp all are moddable with pro 6.60 I believe. and are fairly cheap below 50$ if you locate the right seller. even at 3rd party vintage game stores they usually have them for no more than 75$ and that's with custom aluminum cases. (the game store by me sells all sorts of cool shit. even SUPABOYS, RETRO 3in 1 systems etc... ) I hated the 3000's IMO get a 2000's the screens don't have those ugly scanlines

**sorry for off topic post sorry for your loss**

and Idk if EB will take it they may contact once they try to refurbished it or resell it saying its broken. they don't have access to flash0/1 files.

8. ISO-Man

ISO-Man GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    I have (2) 3000 that I have done. I was under the impression with it being softmod (only) that there is no bricking since it is not in the firmware? I know my daughter did 'something' to her PSP and I thought it was bricked, but it was fixable.. I will see if I have any posts about it here or if I figured it out on my own.

ISO-Man

9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    We need more information than that. They're still brickable if you make modifications to the NAND. Just don't run any software that wants to mess with the NAND and set it up so your daughter can't easily switch the USB mount to any parts of the NAND.

ISO-Man likes this.
  10. ISO-Man

ISO-Man GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    TRUE, We never messed with the NAND. My daughter just did 'something' that screwed the softmod. Could he use mine to restore his? If so, I'll be happy to oblige :)

ISO-Man

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Chances are that it's a Soft Brick. On later PSP's the CFW autoboots via an exploit - if the exploit is still there and the files are uninstalled, it tries to boot a non-existant firmware. Try out the Safe Boot/Recovery Mode combinations I posted earlier - they should override the booting procedure.

12. ISO-Man

ISO-Man GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    I fixed mine long ago :) That is exactly what it was and what I did, thanks for the refreshing my memory. Can I not save mine and give it to the original poster to fix theirs?

ISO-Man

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, I misunderstood what you meant, sorry. ;)

14. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    I swear I have a *magic* battery and memory stick somewer that auto boot my PSP ?!? Maybe Google it ;)

15. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    That won't work on a 3000 model.

16. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    Ah OK

17. Tikker

Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan