Hacking Some basic conceptions about hacking Wii

yixiar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I want to know what is the best situation for hacked wii system?
Why I ask this question? This question confused me for a long time.
I had a Wii, which is soft modded in 2009 early, and runs well with the newly game. Of cause, I update IOS frequently in 2009 and 2010.
These days, I've read hundred pages about mod technology. Preloader and Postloader is high frequent word in the article. I want to know whether it is necessary program to prevent your wii to brick, because I don't have any of them.

I think there are several preloader and postloader, such as,
Preloader: Modii, priiloader, hackmii
Postloader: postloader3

I know these program is to protect your wii to a status, which can turn your wii to normall in emergency situation.

which proposal is basic, and which is enhanced ones?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Priiloader is the new version of Preloader, it installs before the system menu, means if you have a banner brick for example you can just boot priiloader and fix it. Priiloader also gives you features like auto boot a channel of system menu hacks to disable nintendo updates. ModMii is a great simple hacking software. Postloader is something like a system menu replacement, it can load homebrew applications, channels and games. The main brick reason is most likely uninstalling IOS60, IOS70 or IOS80. DO NEVER UNINSTALL ONE OF THEM. These are system menu IOS, if you delete them you can throw your wii in a trash. Install at least priiloader and bootmii. With bootmii you can create a NAND dump so if you brick your wii and priiloader doesn't help some guys can fix it by reinstalling this NAND dump. To get bootmii you can use the hackmii installer. To get all this software check out modmii.

yixiar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Priiloader is the new version of Preloader, it installs before the system menu, means if you have a banner brick for example you can just boot priiloader and fix it. Priiloader also gives you features like auto boot a channel of system menu hacks to disable nintendo updates. ModMii is a great simple hacking software. Postloader is something like a system menu replacement, it can load homebrew applications, channels and games. The main brick reason is most likely uninstalling IOS60, IOS70 or IOS80. DO NEVER UNINSTALL ONE OF THEM. These are system menu IOS, if you delete them you can throw your wii in a trash. Install at least priiloader and bootmii. With bootmii you can create a NAND dump so if you brick your wii and priiloader doesn't help some guys can fix it by reinstalling this NAND dump. To get bootmii you can use the hackmii installer. To get all this software check out modmii.

Thank you very much. It's very clearly explanation except the relationship between preiiloader and bootmii?

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
I think Priiloader resides within the System Menu and it boots before the System Menu does. That's why having priiloader may help you to recover on many things. From Banner bricks to blackscreen problems.

BootMii well it's supposed to be a Boot2 replacement in old days, having BootMii installed as Boot2 gives you a 99% Brick Protection, but now we cant do that. Instead BootMii is installed as IOS which is limited than before. Having BootMii installed as IOS can still used some of its features like restoring or creating a Backup NAND, and also BootMii can be used on some homebrews like Linux and NEEK.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
BootMii well it's supposed to be a Boot2 replacement in old days, having BootMii installed as Boot2 gives you a 99% Brick Protection, but now we cant do that. Instead BootMii is installed as IOS which is limited than before. Having BootMii installed as IOS can still used some of its features like restoring or creating a Backup NAND, and also BootMii can be used on some homebrews like Linux and NEEK.
Thats not a very clear explanation, kinda makes more questions than it answers.

Wii boot process
Wii's made prior to October-ish 2008 bug an exploitable bug in their boot process. The bug, the fake sign bug, was present in boot1. This bug allowed the boot2 code to be changed, thus bootmii was invented. Boot2 gets launched before the system menu, and also gets launched before priiloader if priiloader is installed. Boot1 and boot2 are in a separate place from the rest of the wii's file system in the NAND (the internal flash memory). No matter what you do to brick the wii by fucking around with it's file system you can always easily recover the wii as long as you have bootmii installed to boot2. You can actually go and delete EVERYTHING in the file system and bootmii installed into boot2 will still work. You can make backups of your wii's NAND and restore them using bootmii (in both the boot2 and IOS form of it).

Priiloader gets installed in front of the system menu and will be launched before the system menu, but after boot2. Priiloader depends on the wii's file system being intact. Priiloader can only help to fix certain types of bricks, where as bootmii can be used to fix all software level bricks. Priiloader can not be used to make a backup of your NAND, but it can help you to launch homebrew apps that can help you to fix your wii from certain types of bricks. If you ever reinstall your System Menu, or upgrade or downgrade your System Menu, then Priiloader will become overwritten and will need to be reinstalled. Priiloader will get installed after you install a System Menu. Don't get confused with what FIX94 said...
Priiloader is the new version of Preloader, it installs before the system menu...
what he really meant to say was...

Priiloader is the new version of Preloader, it installs in front of the system menu...
I could go on with a lot more info, but if you need more answers then you can ask your questions or search for more info. Wiibrew.org has a vast amount of technical info about the wii. Good luck and I hoped I helped.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Priiloader depends on the wii's file system being intact. Priiloader can only help to fix certain types of bricks
Yeah sorry about my small mistake, this is what I meant, I know my english is not the best :P
To this I just wanted to say intact means that the system menu and the system menu IOS need to be installed on the wii.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Priiloader depends on the wii's file system being intact. Priiloader can only help to fix certain types of bricks
Yeah sorry about my small mistake, this is what I meant, I know my english is not the best :P
To this I just wanted to say intact means that the system menu and the system menu IOS need to be installed on the wii.
It's all your fault, and because of that you will be stoned to death. :D
So be prepared, we are going to make you smoke A LOT of pot. :D

yixiar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I could go on with a lot more info, but if you need more answers then you can ask your questions or search for more info. Wiibrew.org has a vast amount of technical info about the wii. Good luck and I hoped I helped.

Thanks Deadlyfoez, your explanation make me know clearly that bootmii is the fundermental technology to anti-brick Wii system. Thanks again.
And give thanks to fix94, his explanation make real big fish out :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr