Hacking Softmod Upgrade = now not working

Android412

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I "had" a 3.2u Softmod working perfect, backups booted up from the disc channel, except for Wii Sports Resort

Was under the impression that I would have to upgrade to 4.1u to get Resort working, so I did using this method (hxxp://webrewwii.blogspot.com/2009/04/system-menu-40-installation.html) this included IOS36 rev10, if that matters.

And figured since I was upgrading I installed cIOS38 rev14.

Anyway it upgraded to 4.1 fine, still have a working HBC (I believe it's v1.0.3, not 100% would have to double check the number, but I know it ends in 3)

Now back up's wont play, I put in Wii Sports 1 (retail) and it is forcing me to update, which I haven't done yet, and after a reboot, on the disc channel it just says update needed.

I have a feeling I've f'd it up, but I don't want to make it worse.

Bit of a noob with wii hacking, but i'm not retarded, I can follow direction

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Android412

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Since you can boot to the System Menu and use the Homebrew Channel, you are not bricked.

Install Preloader and BootMii (and hope you can install it as boot2). Get the latest hacks.ini for Preloader. To access Preloader's menu, hold down the reset button on your Wii. In Preloader's System Menu hacks, select disable disc updates. In Preloader's options, if you have cIOS38 rev14, set the System Menu's IOS to IOS249. You should have backups working in the Disc Channel now. (Note that DVD9 backups *ahemBRAWL* will not work.)

If a game fails to load, try reinstalling the IOS it uses. (i.e.- Wii Sports uses IOS9. Try reinstalling IOS9 if it doesn't work.)

Android412

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
Since you can boot to the System Menu and use the Homebrew Channel, you are not bricked.

Install Preloader and BootMii (and hope you can install it as boot2). Get the latest hacks.ini for Preloader. To access Preloader's menu, hold down the reset button on your Wii. In Preloader's System Menu hacks, select disable disc updates. In Preloader's options, if you have cIOS38 rev14, set the System Menu's IOS to IOS249. You should have backups working in the Disc Channel now. (Note that DVD9 backups *ahemBRAWL* will not work.)

If a game fails to load, try reinstalling the IOS it uses. (i.e.- Wii Sports uses IOS9. Try reinstalling IOS9 if it doesn't work.)

Ok so I installed BootMii (as boot2) and Preloader, enabled "disable disc updates" and set the System Menu's IOS to IOS249.

Retail games work again, but backups sill don't

What do I do now. I would really like the backups to work in the disc channel, for the wife/ease of use factor.

By reading a few posts/guides around here it would seem that since during the original softmod I installed cIOScorp1.01, I would now just have to install it again (v3.3, obviously)
But it doesn't seem to be very popular around here because it modifies system fairly heavily.

I also saw this"...without cioscorp you can play from disc channel using preloader..."but not sure how to do that.

thanks for the help.

Android412

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
Android412 said:
Dialexio said:

Ok so I installed BootMii (as boot2) and Preloader, enabled "disable disc updates" and set the System Menu's IOS to IOS249.

Retail games work again, but backups sill don't

What do I do now. I would really like the backups to work in the disc channel, for the wife/ease of use factor.

By reading a few posts/guides around here it would seem that since during the original softmod I installed cIOScorp1.01, I would now just have to install it again (v3.3, obviously)
But it doesn't seem to be very popular around here because it modifies system fairly heavily.

I also saw this"...without cioscorp you can play from disc channel using preloader..."but not sure how to do that.

thanks for the help.

Android412

In Preloader's options, if you have cIOS38 rev14, set the System Menu's IOS to IOS249. You should have backups working in the Disc Channel now.

This works.

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just put cios60 on if you are on 4.0 or 4.1 u will get system files are corrupt when you reboot. just boot into preloader reinstall preloader you can then play backups through disc channel without changing it to ios249. having your system menu set at 249 makes some stuff not work.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
tanis698 said:
just put cios60 on if you are on 4.0 or 4.1 u will get system files are corrupt when you reboot. just boot into preloader reinstall preloader you can then play backups through disc channel without changing it to ios249. having your system menu set at 249 makes some stuff not work.
Approach with caution; IOS60 is the System Menu IOS, after all.

If something like System Menu settings don't work (known for happening when running the System Menu with cIOS), the IOS could be safely and temporarily changed in Preloader. (Note that Preloader will still use IOS60, and then load the System Menu with IOS249.)

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he has bootmii as boot2. if he has a nand backup what does he have to worry about. hell i only have bootmii as a ios and i had 0 problems installing it. if you run ios249 as your system menu you can't use certain options on your wii. i have installed cios60 on about 6 wiis now all of them didn't have bootmii as boot2 with 0 problems.

Android412

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so if I "reinstall" cIOS38 rev14 (just to be sure), and preloader is set to IOS to IOS249, it "should" work, and wont make it worse. Right?

If it doesn't, installing cios60, then reinstalling preloader it will work? (yes I know that's dangerous, but don't know of a better solution)

I'm a little concerned as when I tried to do a NAND backup it failed, and just wrote a bunch of what look like gibberish folders in my wad manger folder I had on my SD card.

Thanks again for the help

Android412

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bootmii is picky about the sd cards that work. i wouldn't mess with anything untill you have a backup of your nand. try a diffrent sd card.

Android412

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tanis698 said:
bootmii is picky about the sd cards that work. i wouldn't mess with anything untill you have a backup of your nand. try a diffrent sd card.

Ok using a different SD card worked, and my nand is backed up, and backed up to my comp too, just in case.

So now I do what said in my last post?

Android412

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android412 said:
Ok so if I "reinstall" cIOS38 rev14 (just to be sure), and preloader is set to IOS to IOS249, it "should" work, and wont make it worse. Right?

If it doesn't, installing cios60, then reinstalling preloader it will work? (yes I know that's dangerous, but don't know of a better solution)

I did both of these, and it's still booting retail but not backups.

Am I down to using CIOSCORP, or is there another option

Jedis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use CiosCorp, it works fine. You had it before, why not use it again?

You made your nand backup so you're gold. If something gets messed up down the road, load from your backup before you installed it. Chances are, a newer, better way to do the hacks will come out down the road. It always does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i kinda left without giving the quote, but here it is