Softmod Original Xbox with Android phone?

bdacanay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I recently got all the stuff I need to soft mod my Xbox, except I'm still waiting for the usb flash drive to get here. I have an old 128mb micro SD card that is gathering dust, so I was wondering if it's possible to put that sucker in my phone and hook it up to my Xbox to install the files? I have read that using a music player could result in a brick, so I'd rather see if anyone else knows before I try to.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I recently got all the stuff I need to soft mod my Xbox, except I'm still waiting for the usb flash drive to get here. I have an old 128mb micro SD card that is gathering dust, so I was wondering if it's possible to put that sucker in my phone and hook it up to my Xbox to install the files? I have read that using a music player could result in a brick, so I'd rather see if anyone else knows before I try to.

No, won't work. You need to either make a USB adapter or order one.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-XBOX-Controller-Port-Cable-BRAND/dp/B005CKQ6LU

Another option is TSOP Flashing or Hot swapping.

This is all services I offer as well.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about a PC-XBOX HOTSWAP?

bdacanay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not an option either because I have a laptop. I just need something to inject the files on, and I thought maybe I could hook my phone up to the Xbox, format the card, plug it into the PC, copy the files, and transfer them to the Xbox.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
depends, most phones use MTP as their usb protocol, so that wouldnt work, you need something that is accessed as mass storage, although even if your phone does use mass storage protocols then the phone may refuse to function with the SD once its formatted to XFAT

basically, find a cheap SD card reader or a crappy flash drive

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a AR, Memory Card and a copy of Mech Assault Ill sell, Ive had all this stuff for the past 10-15 years, My xbox is done, i dont need it. The memory card already has the linux kernal on it too.

Rocky5

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From another post on another forum.
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/softmodding-an-original-xbox-with-drivedroid.60368/#post-866641

jowijo said:
That all checked out, so I tried as you suggested, and made a new image 16MB in size. Worked perfectly. :)

For anyone who finds this useful. You need a rooted Android phone, in my case, I used my Nexus 5. Install Drivedroid from the Play store (unpaid/paid is the same).
  1. Skip the Setup Wizard, you won't need it.
  2. Press the "+" icon, and select "Create Blank Image..."
  3. For a filename, it can be anything. Leave it set as an .img, and set the size to 16MB.
  4. Leave "MBR Partition table" checked, and select FAT from the dropdown below.
  5. Start up your Xbox. On Drivedroid, the new image should be listed. Tap it, and you should now see the "Host Image" menu.
  6. Tap the "Writeable USB" icon.
  7. Once that's all done, tap the Settings icon on the bottom menu (2nd from the right), and in the Settings menu, tap the "USB Settings" option.
  8. You can either use automatic, or manual USB mode. Just make sure that either "Automatic USB Mode", or "Manual USB Mode", are set to "Mass Storage" (2nd from top). By default, it usually selects MTP.
  9. Plug in your phone to your USB/Xbox adapter, and on the MS Dash, navigate to "Memory".
  10. It should now say that the drive was not working correctly, and has been erased. This is what we want. Press, A, and you should now see the new MU on the memory screen. At this point, unplug your phone from the Xbox, and back into your computer.
  11. From here, it is the same as any other softmod procedure. I used Xplorer 360, which does work in Windows 10 x64.
Thank you guys for the tips, and hopefully someone else finds this useful. :)

Last edited by Rocky5,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)