Softmii or Starfall

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by spadagoal, Feb 17, 2009.

Feb 17, 2009

Softmii or Starfall by spadagoal at 10:22 AM (725 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. spadagoal
    OP

Newcomer spadagoal Member

Australia
    Hey guys

Searched this up but still could not tell which is better. I wanna play region free gc and wii backups using their respective launchers on my 3.2E firmware wii, should I use Softmii or Starfall?

cheerz [​IMG]

2. fgsfdsyo

Member fgsfdsyo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I apologize if this message isn't as coherent as possible, it's 5:15AM over here and I haven't had any sleep.

-----
    Softmii is a set of applications, CIOSCorp and Preloader.

CIOSCorp allows you to play backups without the need of a booting channel, as it patches the main system files* and allows burnt games to be directly read.
    Preloader is a combination of things, it's like starfall but even better in some aspects. This also patches over system files. It's a fail-safe if you wii ends up bricking, so you can boot into preloader and attempt to fix it. The same codes that starfall has and even more are in Preloader.

~
    Starfall is something that also patches over system files. This can also save you from bricking, but only in some specific situations. There are a few codes in starfall, but the list is no where as vast as preloaders.

-----
    If don't mind using a backup channel, then just install starfall hacks.

If you want (almost full?) brick protection and the ability to just shove a disc in and just play, then SoftMii.

3. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Personally I wouldn't install softmii, I don't like how it messes with so many files
    There should be a better solution possible: when menupatcher gets an update to work as preloader's autoboot

4. magic12

Member magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia

omg, you should use chip! [​IMG]

5. spadagoal
    OP

Newcomer spadagoal Member

Australia
    Thanks a lot fgsfdsyo! You were very helpful. If installing softmii means being almost fully brick protected then I might do that!

Is softmii a more popular choice than Starfall?

Anyway thanks again fgsfdsyo!