Softmii or Starfall

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by spadagoal, Feb 17, 2009.

1. spadagoal
    OP

spadagoal Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2008
    Hey guys

Searched this up but still could not tell which is better. I wanna play region free gc and wii backups using their respective launchers on my 3.2E firmware wii, should I use Softmii or Starfall?

cheerz [​IMG]

2. fgsfdsyo

fgsfdsyo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2008
    United States
    I apologize if this message isn't as coherent as possible, it's 5:15AM over here and I haven't had any sleep.

-----
    Softmii is a set of applications, CIOSCorp and Preloader.

CIOSCorp allows you to play backups without the need of a booting channel, as it patches the main system files* and allows burnt games to be directly read.
    Preloader is a combination of things, it's like starfall but even better in some aspects. This also patches over system files. It's a fail-safe if you wii ends up bricking, so you can boot into preloader and attempt to fix it. The same codes that starfall has and even more are in Preloader.

~
    Starfall is something that also patches over system files. This can also save you from bricking, but only in some specific situations. There are a few codes in starfall, but the list is no where as vast as preloaders.

-----
    If don't mind using a backup channel, then just install starfall hacks.

If you want (almost full?) brick protection and the ability to just shove a disc in and just play, then SoftMii.

3. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    Personally I wouldn't install softmii, I don't like how it messes with so many files
    There should be a better solution possible: when menupatcher gets an update to work as preloader's autoboot

4. magic12

magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2008
    Croatia

omg, you should use chip! [​IMG]

5. spadagoal
    OP

spadagoal Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2008
    Thanks a lot fgsfdsyo! You were very helpful. If installing softmii means being almost fully brick protected then I might do that!

Is softmii a more popular choice than Starfall?

Anyway thanks again fgsfdsyo!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice