Softmii Officially Dead

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Donkey Punch, Jul 3, 2009.

Jul 3, 2009

Softmii Officially Dead by Donkey Punch at 11:33 PM (4,245 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. Donkey Punch
    OP

Newcomer Donkey Punch Member

United States
    As the title of this thread suggests: Softmii is officially dead.

When you try to visit their website you get redirected to the following site containing the announcement below:

http://gamingexposed.com/

Personally I suspect the real reason for them shutting down is the fact that their newest "3.0" release was completely ignored in the Wii hacking community and they became discouraged. Their excuse that running the website was a distraction is probably only half true because they had a separate group of people to do that.

Many people in this forum seem to look down upon these prepared packages like "Softmii" but personally I think they serve a purpose. Not everyone has the time to research all the various software that is required to get a soft modded Wii up and running. A carefully prepared package with good documentation is invaluable for beginners like myself. Unfortunately Softmii always struggled with the documentation and seemed to take the instructions as secondary.

Despite how advanced users look down upon them, I wanted to thank them for making my first steps into the Wii hacking world a little less scary. Even the 3.0 package I found useful just in terms of seeing what they decided to include in their package.

2. andrewhan4

Newcomer andrewhan4 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    They are still alive and well according to irc:

* Topic is 'Rest In Peace Softmii.org. Softmii Continues to exist. Just no longer with a dedicated web site. No need to re-register.'

3. Donkey Punch
    OP

Newcomer Donkey Punch Member

United States
    Yes, I know they will deny they are dead but the writing is on the wall. They will be taken even less seriously without a website and forum support.

Just my opinion of course.

4. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I did wonder why the had a whole site dedicated to it rather than just putting it on an already established site. (Like this one.)

Although I wasn't very happy with softmii myself. I would have personally done it drastically differently had I made my own variant of it.

5. sl33p

Member sl33p GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No they aren't. But with a website like this they soon will be gone. I know that I'll never go there again.

WHY OH WHY!?! THE HUMANITY OF THE IFRAMES AGHHH
    [​IMG]

6. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I recall learning about this sort of thing back from my web design class. One of the major things was to use "white space" properly. I agreed with you when I first saw that space being wasted there. Flagrant horrid design IMO.

7. camaro

Newcomer camaro Newbie

United States
    As a newb, Softmii was the first thing I looked into a few weeks ago. But after reading some comments about the directions being confusing and leading users astray, I used a rar package posted here.

Even that had its limitations on ease. To be honest, hacking my Wii has to be one of the most difficult and confusing things I've ever done - having built a computer and diagnosed many difficult tech problems, including ridiculously bad rootkits, and having run countless pirated PC games and cracked a lot of software.

It would be really, really nice to have an 'official' and well-updated guide/software package to HBC, Bootmii, and the cIOS patching. Softmii isn't really that, and I think it makes it more confusing than it actually is.

Besides that, the website's code was a hazardous mess. I would say that's the best reason for shutting it down.

8. franky86

Newcomer franky86 Advanced Member

United States
    While it was a nice "project" it really didn't have much of a user base.

Anyone who wants to learn to hack their Wii(even just the average guy wanting to play pirated games) is going to *HAVE* to do some reading and learning, even to just install Softmii. And honestly, once you learn the basics of using an exploit to install the homebrew channel and then using THAT to install other homebrew, WADs, etc you are pretty much 1-2 steps away from installing whatever you want. It takes a few minutes of reading a guide or walk through to install anything else.

By personally picking and choosing what you want to install and doing it yourself you will have a better understanding of what you've done to your Wii. You'll also be able to update specific homebrew at later times and maybe uninstall and replace applications with different ones. Overall, you get more control over your Wii by learning to do it yourself.

Softmii offers a complete package install of stuff thats pretty easy to set up as is, so why bother?

9. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    lol the 3.0 package had nothing to do with it, we just thought that the exact reasons stated from DD(the quote in the 1st post) were enough to move on to being more open with stuff, this allows us to do more with the site in general and not be tied down to just wii hacking

10. kLiNiKaL

Member kLiNiKaL Dr. Greenthumb

Jamaica
    about time too..fucking waste of bandwidth and a domain if ya ask me.

most of the noobs who have problems come running here anyway.

they should of stayed as a subsection to WiiNewz.

11. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    only to be met by more noobs with the worse advice ever

12. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Which is why people need to learn to use percentages so that it fits properly to much large resolutions instead of looking like crap.

However I did poke around at the Softmii site every once in awhile to find themes. I still haven't found any that peak my interests.

Edit: Why is someone with such a huge resolution using Windows Classic as a theme?

13. pm_41

Member pm_41 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Softmii was too confusing anyways...

The only good thing was the actual file package, where a LOT of useful tools were. However, the official Softmii guides were bad. [​IMG]

14. sl33p

Member sl33p GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Eh why wouldn't I? I don't like busy nonsense themes nor do I like the Crayola XP themes. And Vista isn't an option at this point on this box either. Windows classic is simple and not distracting. And is 1920x1080 really that high of a resolution? Sure, it's on the higher end but I'm pretty sure several of my friends run higher (resolutions) than that. I mean shit, most new LCDs ship with native resolutions of 1080p nowadays.

And Softmii team, please take into consideration the design of that website. There are numerous UI issues that are rather annoying and hinder the usability of the site. They're not limited to the one I've posted already, either. For example, the top navigation bar blends in way too much as it is small and strangely aligned.

15. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Thanks..!! [​IMG]

16. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Aargh...and I was already happy that they're really dead...[​IMG]. Never make wrong illusions, please. I know that I was the one that gave the name SoftMii, but since then, it was heading in the wrong direction. I grown up, and today it's my opinion that Noobs which can't read up first don't deserve Backups (and Noobs which even can't follow a Step-by-Step Tutorial a Wii...). They think that they're almighty (or it looks like that for me), although they just pack things up, write a few lines and put it Online...great work, realy -.-...

Let's see if they'll continue on repacking things, or if they actually do something on their own (excluding Themes)...

17. kLiNiKaL

Jamaica
    in closing...

SoftFail is no more.

18. rommy667

Member rommy667 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    Softmii is great why are ppl saying crap about it? if you dont like it dont use it or code some thing better your self.............

19. Anorhc

Member Anorhc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would, but taking other people's work and putting it into a package isn't exactly what you call "coding". Heh, I always find the "do it better yourself" argument funny.

20. kLiNiKaL

Jamaica
    epically priceless.