So... Why is Linux on Switch exciting?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Nerdtendo, Feb 6, 2018.

1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    A full Linux system would have full control of the entire Switch hardware. This is different from e.g. homebrew, where the Switch OS is still running in the background.

Full hardware control == more potential for figuring out various aspects of the system specific to the Switch and not part of the public Tegra X1 documentation. This information could then be applied to the regular Switch OS.

2. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Isn't safe to say that at the point where you have the ability to run other OSs on the Switch, that they more than likely have a majority, if not all of the Switch figured out (not to say documented because it may not be).

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Not necessarily. Things like the cartridge slot wouldn't be usable with an initial Linux bring-up, since that's custom hardware. eMMC would likely be accessible, but not directly usable unless a driver is written to handle the decryption.

VinsCool and Deathscreton like this.
  4. PocketQ3

PocketQ3 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    Unlike older versions of Linux like PS2's/PS3's, ARM Linux already has a ton of support, so you can do quite a lot with it especially if you're a developer (No Steam for Switch Linux, that's x86 only). Although Linux on PS4 with the right support could be turned into a gaming PC. It just wouldn't be as convenient to lug around. :P

Linux on Switch becomes more impressive when you don't have to overwrite the main OS to run it. It turns your awesome toy into an awesome tool. I do most of my web development work on my Android phone with Linux and a DeX-like UI. I don't think I'd want to do it on a Switch with Linux, but the option to is always nice. And the less devices I gotta buy, the better, imo.

CuriousTommy, Xzi and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  5. Kerbangman

Kerbangman GBAtemp Fan

Sep 19, 2016
    Used several different usb 3 hard drives and all behave the same. Windows does not clam up using these.

6. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    ditto

7. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat sipp

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    It's exciting because it means I'll have another machine that can do the exact same thing that at least 6 or 7 or so of my devices can also do since they also run GNU/Linux lmao

PocketQ3 likes this.
  8. Fadi5555

Fadi5555 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2018
    United States
    after having linux on switch can we run emulators such as dolphin and pcsx2 on it?
    If yes it would be cool

9. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Yeah, but the Windows ARM is pointless since it can only run games like android, it doesn't run X64\X86 games, so it's way better to have android it self than the crap windows ARM.

I even remember a friend that bought a surface then I was trying to install things and nothing worked until I saw that crap was arm lool, I didn't even knew that version of the surface wasn't even a X64 PC architecture. He returned it to the store right away.

In fact it's way better to buy a cheap dell windows tablet X64 than any other crap arm device with Windows ARM, I find it pointless since android has years ahead on arm devices and therefore has a huge amount of crap to install...
    Yeah, dosbox run a few games. I already used it in Windows to play one game from when I was a kid and wouldn't run on windows...

And even windows 10 sometimes pisses me off to play old games, like Age of empires 3, it gives a error, we have to activate an additional feature on wind10 to run it while it has thousands of crap not needed services activated by default.

Last edited by guily6669, Feb 10, 2018
  10. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    You clearly didn't read the rest of my posts...

11. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Could we all just agree that it's part of a five-step program for hacking? As I said before, getting Linux to run on a system seems par for the course of a standard for hacking progress, regardless of compatibility or practicality.

Like getting DOOM to run on everything - the arguably definitive version will be on PC, but it's just an accomplishment to bypass a product's security and have it run on the hacked system, even though you'll potentially never play it on there.

For example: DOOM running on a printer's tiny lcd screen - no one is going to say they're going to play it casually on there, but it is impressive that it's running it anyways.

12. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Hell yeah, doom is always the first after the hello world there can only be doom :)

Though yeah I hated that game in the PC back then, I liked Doom3... I liked a lot is years later quake and Unreal tournament, the first doom and those labyrinth style games made my head dizzy :)

Jonna likes this.
  13. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Fan

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    No, they don't run on ARM.

Same. The user experience for Linux on Switch would be utter crap (which is why I'd love to see Android) but it's simply an important step, it might not be useful for end users but it's a great dev toolbox.

We already got a Doom 1993 port running, so full Linux is the next step.

14. CuriousTommy

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    I am not sure about pcsx2, but I remember someone a long time ago was testing dolphin on a chrooted arm based Chromebook. Plus dolphin runs on Android.

15. bakedbeans

bakedbeans Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    Algeria
    it was

CuriousTommy likes this.
  16. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

GBAtemp Patron
    blinkzane is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    not hard to build a driver

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's easy for you to say for someone with programming experience.

18. bakedbeans

bakedbeans Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    Algeria
    NVIDIA themselves made the tegra devices work with nouveau. So the foundation is done.

19. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Doesn't Nvidia use binary blobs?

20. Magnus87

Magnus87 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    Argentina
    Because I can play supertux!