Hacking So... Why is Linux on Switch exciting?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... to play Tux Racer.
A full Linux system would have full control of the entire Switch hardware. This is different from e.g. homebrew, where the Switch OS is still running in the background.

Full hardware control == more potential for figuring out various aspects of the system specific to the Switch and not part of the public Tegra X1 documentation. This information could then be applied to the regular Switch OS.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A full Linux system would have full control of the entire Switch hardware. This is different from e.g. homebrew, where the Switch OS is still running in the background.

Full hardware control == more potential for figuring out various aspects of the system specific to the Switch and not part of the public Tegra X1 documentation. This information could then be applied to the regular Switch OS.
Isn't safe to say that at the point where you have the ability to run other OSs on the Switch, that they more than likely have a majority, if not all of the Switch figured out (not to say documented because it may not be).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't safe to say that at the point where you have the ability to run other OSs on the Switch, that they more than likely have a majority, if not all of the Switch figured out (not to say documented because it may not be).
Not necessarily. Things like the cartridge slot wouldn't be usable with an initial Linux bring-up, since that's custom hardware. eMMC would likely be accessible, but not directly usable unless a driver is written to handle the decryption.

PocketQ3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlike older versions of Linux like PS2's/PS3's, ARM Linux already has a ton of support, so you can do quite a lot with it especially if you're a developer (No Steam for Switch Linux, that's x86 only). Although Linux on PS4 with the right support could be turned into a gaming PC. It just wouldn't be as convenient to lug around. :P

Linux on Switch becomes more impressive when you don't have to overwrite the main OS to run it. It turns your awesome toy into an awesome tool. I do most of my web development work on my Android phone with Linux and a DeX-like UI. I don't think I'd want to do it on a Switch with Linux, but the option to is always nice. And the less devices I gotta buy, the better, imo.

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
Make them work yourself. That's the point. There's mountains of documentation on how to do so. Also, emulators? Really? There's no problems with those on Linux.

This is a fault of whatever flash media you're using, not Linux.

Oh, and before some assuming asshole comes along, I don't even use Linux. UNIX is UNIX is UNIX. It's all the same if you know what you're doing.

Used several different usb 3 hard drives and all behave the same. Windows does not clam up using these.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not how it works, you don't "port" something that you don't have the source code of, and well Windows could work on the switch, afterall there's an ARM version of it...
Yeah, but the Windows ARM is pointless since it can only run games like android, it doesn't run X64\X86 games, so it's way better to have android it self than the crap windows ARM.

I even remember a friend that bought a surface then I was trying to install things and nothing worked until I saw that crap was arm lool, I didn't even knew that version of the surface wasn't even a X64 PC architecture. He returned it to the store right away.

In fact it's way better to buy a cheap dell windows tablet X64 than any other crap arm device with Windows ARM, I find it pointless since android has years ahead on arm devices and therefore has a huge amount of crap to install...
If it has a DOS version you could possibly run it in DOSBox.
Or I suppose you could try this: https://github.com/OpenRA/ra2
Yeah, dosbox run a few games. I already used it in Windows to play one game from when I was a kid and wouldn't run on windows...

And even windows 10 sometimes pisses me off to play old games, like Age of empires 3, it gives a error, we have to activate an additional feature on wind10 to run it while it has thousands of crap not needed services activated by default.

Last edited by guily6669,

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, but the Windows ARM is pointless since it can only run games like android, it doesn't run X64\X86 games, so it's way better to have android it self than the crap windows ARM.

I even remember a friend that bought a surface then I was trying to install things and nothing worked until I saw that crap was arm lool, I didn't even knew that version of the surface wasn't even a X64 PC architecture. He returned it to the store right away.

In fact it's way better to buy a cheap dell windows tablet X64 than any other crap arm device with Windows ARM, I find it pointless since android has years ahead on arm devices and therefore has a huge amount of crap to install...

You clearly didn't read the rest of my posts...

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Could we all just agree that it's part of a five-step program for hacking? As I said before, getting Linux to run on a system seems par for the course of a standard for hacking progress, regardless of compatibility or practicality.

Like getting DOOM to run on everything - the arguably definitive version will be on PC, but it's just an accomplishment to bypass a product's security and have it run on the hacked system, even though you'll potentially never play it on there.

For example: DOOM running on a printer's tiny lcd screen - no one is going to say they're going to play it casually on there, but it is impressive that it's running it anyways.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell yeah, doom is always the first after the hello world there can only be doom :)

Though yeah I hated that game in the PC back then, I liked Doom3... I liked a lot is years later quake and Unreal tournament, the first doom and those labyrinth style games made my head dizzy :)

Reactions: Jonna

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
after having linux on switch can we run emulators such as dolphin and pcsx2 on it?
If yes it would be cool

No, they don't run on ARM.

Could we all just agree that it's part of a five-step program for hacking? As I said before, getting Linux to run on a system seems par for the course of a standard for hacking progress, regardless of compatibility or practicality.

Like getting DOOM to run on everything - the arguably definitive version will be on PC, but it's just an accomplishment to bypass a product's security and have it run on the hacked system, even though you'll potentially never play it on there.

For example: DOOM running on a printer's tiny lcd screen - no one is going to say they're going to play it casually on there, but it is impressive that it's running it anyways.

Same. The user experience for Linux on Switch would be utter crap (which is why I'd love to see Android) but it's simply an important step, it might not be useful for end users but it's a great dev toolbox.

We already got a Doom 1993 port running, so full Linux is the next step.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1