Hacking So the acekard is the way to go for me then?

so.1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello everyone!

I've been away from things like these since I sold my PSP some years ago, so forgive me if my questions sound stupid or so.
I recently got myself a shiny ds lite and am now looking for a matching flashcard. Probably this topic is redunant, but I am kinda nervous about and don't wanna waste money.

So,

- An acekard is compatible with all ds-games that my ds lite would be compatible with? (so no saving issues, slowdowns or things like "game failed to start")
- It doesn't matter what firmware I have on my ds lite?
- Setting up the acekard is simple, I just put firmware and games on it and everythings fine?

Thank you.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Acekard 2i is a great choice. Some Acekards have been known to have contact issues. You can read more about that here. Other than that, everything is as you described it.

so.1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is the acekard 2i superior over the regular acekard 2?
I have a ds lite as said so I wouldn't need the 'i'.

...and it would be a little price difference at vartis.de (where I would buy it)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have no plans to use your Acekard on a DSi or 3DS, then you do not need an Acekard 2i. A normal Acekard 2.1 will suffice.

Also, the Acekard 2.1 is less likely to have contact issues.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i haven't had a single issue with my 2.1 cards. i have a bunch of them that i've used and abused for beta testing over the years. my first 2i developed contact issues for no reason, but my new hw81 is working fine.

if you are never going to get a dsi or 3ds then stick with the 2.1. it has less problems and will perform exactly the same.

-another world

so.1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for your help. Ordering an Acekard 2 now. It's going to be fun
rolleyes.gif

so.1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Received my Acecard 2.1 today. Sadly it isn't recognised by my DS lite. As I get it it should be even without any Micro SD in it, but it obviously isn't. (Or is it more likly to be recognised if i have a correctly setup Micro SD in it?)
I tried the paper-stuff for a pretty while but no changing results...

I noticed that the boards inside the Acekard is moveable approx. 0.5 mm left and right. Is that normal?

Any hope for me? (I read something about unbricking, but this isn't something matching for my case, iss it?)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
in the ds lite you will see the acekard logo from the ds firmware. without a microsd and a kernel you will not be able to launch it. are you saying that the acekard logo doesn't show up in the firmware? i have 9 2.1s sitting in front of me and i have never had a contact issue with any of them, so i doubt that is your problem.

post some photos of the 2.1, the box, and the PCB (if you feel brave enough to open the shell to get those photos).

it is possible that what you were sent is not a real card. if that is the case i would really like to see photos of the PCB so we can document a fake 2.1.

-another world

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah Ive had my Acekard 2.1 for ages and no probs, except freezing when closing the DS sometimes D=.
But thats my fault for abusing it too much probally, all good aslong as i dont close it. Actually come to think
of it, havnt had that problem for awhile.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
so.1337 said:
Received my Acecard 2.1 today. Sadly it isn't recognised by my DS lite. As I get it it should be even without any Micro SD in it, but it obviously isn't. (Or is it more likly to be recognised if i have a correctly setup Micro SD in it?)
I tried the paper-stuff for a pretty while but no changing results...

I noticed that the boards inside the Acekard is moveable approx. 0.5 mm left and right. Is that normal?

Any hope for me? (I read something about unbricking, but this isn't something matching for my case, iss it?)

Re you serious?

YOU NEED AN MICRO SD WITH THE AKAIO OR OFFICILA FIRMWARE ON IT TO USE IT!
THERE"S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR CARD!

so.1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey, calm down.

I'm not talking about using it. I'm saying it isn't recognised by my DS, with or without "paper tricks" doens't matter.

So, I turn my DS(and yeah, it's a 'lite' not a 'i') on with the acekard(which hasn't got a micro sd in it) plugged in and it says "There is no DS Card inserted". However, my DS works fine with Dr. Kawashima, so I guess that's not the problem.
EDIT: I also tried it with a 8gb micro sd (that works well otherwise) and AKAIO, result's the same.

I opened the acecard and it looks exactly like others I've seen on the internet. No missing parts or such as far as I can tell...

Searching the web I've found only little people talking about dead acecards 2.1 so that's what makes me wonder. Why me?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
please post up a nice quality photo of the front and back of the pcb, the front and back of the shell, and the inside of the shell. we can then let you know if it is real or fake. i've just been told about an acekard purchased from someone in israel which he thinks might be a clone. it apears to have the correct chip but the akaio anti-clone code is blocking it. we aren't 100% sure yet what is going on, but it is possible a really high quality clone has been released.

clones are partially acekard's own fault. they sold the plans to the actel chipped ak2i design. from those plans came some nice clones which are supported, like the r4i gold. however, from those plans also came a bunch of fake ak2i kits.

try researting your ak2.1 a few times. take it in/out/in/out/in/out and see if you can get it to show up in the firmware. make sure you push it in firmly and that it clicks into the ds lite. try pushing it in on the back side, on the top, and on the front side, in an effort to catch the pins differently.

-another world

MarioKartFreak2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so.1337 said:
Here are the pictures: http://www.file-upload.net/download-3679814/Acekard.rar.html

Also, reinserting something like 100times with different pushing didn't help...

Well, I'm going to send it back today and will request a new one.

This may just sound stupid, but why don't you try putting a real game in, and then swapping it with the AceKard 2.1 and load.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
for some odd reason my browser will not load the "download" button on that site.

would it be possible for you to host the images at pix.gbatemp.net and then to display them for us using the bbcode img tag?

Code:
[img]http://www.picture.jpg[/img]

-another world

so.1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Hope that helps
smile.gif

(They are a little down-converted now. If somethings unclear I might upload the originals to another place)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
your card is real, if its a clone its an exact match for a real card.

i have a theory....

the 1.8.2 release of akaio had ap patching that used an empty area of the bootloader. something acekard failed to mention was that the old ak2.1 cards used a larger bootloader. when you turned on the ap patching on these cards the bootloader was partially overwritten, basically bricking it. the 2.1 was never given a bootloader update program, but it is fully updatable. i know because i was the first to brick a 2.1 and as far as i know i am the only person who was given the bootloader flashing software. when the 2.1 was bricked it showed up blank in the ds lite firmware, just as you are describing. all i saw was a blank box where the ak logo should have been and the area next to it was also blank.

my theory is that someone bricked their 2.1 and returned it or a company put on the wrong build of akaio, etc.

what is odd about my theory is that the 2.1s that did this were the early revisions, and they did not have the security code sticker on the back. unless flash kit resellers are being supplied with security stickers, and i do not think they are, i'm starting to think that you just got a bad 2.1. it happens.

i might be able to dig out the 2.1 bootloader flasher, drop me a PM and i'll see what i can find for you.

-another world

so.1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Interessting stuff...

But as said, I already sent it back yesterday and hope to receive a working one later this week/next week. If it's not a fake then everything should work out fine, I guess.
However, I am very thankful for your help.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out