Hacking Question So much conflicting info - 2019 - SXOS Pro and 6.2

Halm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
@tinkle
The "slipstreamed" XCI with updates and DLC in them, that means the game is updated and NO update/DLC NSP is installed?
and the program to do that is called slipstream?

@ussj4brolli
If you are not worried about online, then why bother with the Emunand? Only reasons for Emunand are to keep OFW low while waiting for some unreleased boot method suitable for low firmwares or to keep OFW 6.2 relatively "safe" for online....

I mean, just consider the switch as "banned"....just update the future OFW via Choijun (if firmware goes higher than 6.2) and use the CFW without emunand.
No more "updating" of emunand and worries re: OFW 5.2 and Emunand 6.2 etc.

I mean, the CFW was already working before emunand...

Last edited by Halm,

RyoX9

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im a bit confused, i had my switch nand backed up on 4.1.0 and somebody updated it to 5.1.0, what can i do with my backup of 4.1.0?
2nd i am thinking of updating to 6.2.0 to play backups ( which i never played before ) to avoid bans and never go back online how will i update my switch? and when i update my switch to 6.2.0 should i backup my nand again since 4.1.0 backup which i already have has a different fuse count in case i had to to restore it for online.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im a bit confused, i had my switch nand backed up on 4.1.0 and somebody updated it to 5.1.0, what can i do with my backup of 4.1.0?
2nd i am thinking of updating to 6.2.0 to play backups ( which i never played before ) to avoid bans and never go back online how will i update my switch? and when i update my switch to 6.2.0 should i backup my nand again since 4.1.0 backup which i already have has a different fuse count in case i had to to restore it for online.
You can restore it, but need to boot OFW with Hekate from that point on, since fuse count mismatches.
If you don't go online anymore, you update via the firmware files you need to find yourself (can't ask here because they are copyrighted) and a tool called ChoiDuJourNX which is a Switch homebrew.

-Mike-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So if I don't go online, I can stay on 5.1 for sys and, right?

Can I also stay on 5.1 for emunand? In my understanding standby will work on emunand in this case.

(If anyone is wondering why I want to use emunand if I don't go online: I want to prevent burning fuses when accidentally booting into OFW when updating CFW in the future.)

Last edited by -Mike-,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So if I don't go online, I can stay on 5.1 for sys and, right?

Can I also stay on 5.1 for emunand? In my understanding standby will work on emunand in this case.

(If anyone is wondering why I want to use emunand if I don't go online: I want to prevent burning fuses when accidentally booting into OFW when updating CFW in the future.)
Of course you can stay on 5.1, as long as the games you want to play don't require 6.x

-Mike-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright, let's see what New Mario Bros Deluxe will require...
If it's running on 5.1 there is no reason for me to update the next months.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
someone kindly remind the OP like countless others.

if in EMUNAND and you perform a firmware update, it WILL NOT prevent your fuses from burning.

what you will end up with is a SEMI BRICK if you ever revert back to your original NAND.

each firmware requires and checks is a set number of FUSES are BURNED, to put in lamest terms lets say your NAND required only 3 BURNED FUSES, and 6.2 UPDATE required 7 BURNED FUSES.

when you update to 6.2 it will burn 7 FUSES, when you go back to your NAND the system will check if only 3 FUSES have been BURNED, if it doesnt match the requirement the console will not boot.

-Mike-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you sure??? I was reading a lot that CFWs/Custom Bootloader prevent Burning fuses!

When installing an update in a CFW but without emunand and (accidentially) booting into OFW (no AutoRCM for example) it will burn the fuses on the first boot.
But if emunand is used (and prevent burning fuses with higher fw versions/updates) then booting into the OFW is safe and will not burn fuses, because its the old fw version.

Or did i get something wrong?

Last edited by -Mike-,

ussj4brolli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if in EMUNAND and you perform a firmware update, it WILL NOT prevent your fuses from burning.

what you will end up with is a SEMI BRICK if you ever revert back to your original NAND.

each firmware requires and checks is a set number of FUSES are BURNED, to put in lamest terms lets say your NAND required only 3 BURNED FUSES, and 6.2 UPDATE required 7 BURNED FUSES.

when you update to 6.2 it will burn 7 FUSES, when you go back to your NAND the system will check if only 3 FUSES have been BURNED, if it doesnt match the requirement the console will not boot.

No reason to remind me, i didnt care about saving fuses. I upgraded to 6.2 on my sys and then created an emuNAND of it, and installed and played a few games on the emu side. Not sure if i even need the emu... but im using it none-the-less. Please see my post reguarding this. My OFW was as virgin as it can be.

Found checkpoint 3.6 for saves. will use that

Last edited by ussj4brolli,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure you got that completely wrong.
Fuses are burnt the first time you boot OFW, not when updating. That is why people use AutoRCM and can boot higher FW on CFW without the correct amount of burnt fuses, enabling them to eventually downgrade later. I am 99.9% sure that this fuse check skip also takes places when booting Emunand, which is running on CFW, just because it wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

Reactions: -Mike-

ussj4brolli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you got that completely wrong.
Fuses are burnt the first time you boot OFW, not when updating. That is why people use AutoRCM and can boot higher FW on CFW without the correct amount of burnt fuses, enabling them to eventually downgrade later. I am 99.9% sure that this fuse check skip also takes places when booting Emunand, which is running on CFW, just because it wouldn't make any sense otherwise.
I apologize. I knew what ya meant, and I indeed understand that it's when you boot up not update. I just am not concerned with the fuses portion. I don't use autorcm.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not the one I was referring to, I meant @Retroboy who got it wrong
i got what wrong exactly?

that the firmware runs a fuse burn check and if it doesnt match your console wont boot.

emunand on the switch is pointless, the purpose of emunand is to have a clone of your nand so any changes made you can simply revert back to your original nand, but problem is the firmware update will burn your fuses regardless if your using emunand, and its perminent.

people need to learn one key thing, you are using an exploit that is and never has been accepted by any console, you run illegally downloaded roms, so simply keep the console offline, dont expect to pirate games and play online for free then bitch you get banned.

buy your games and play on an unmodified console.

having emunand will only show that you havent had xxx game installed to your system, but then its only a matter of time before nintendo click that your using stealthmode and you will get banned.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

that the firmware runs a fuse burn check and if it doesnt match your console wont boot.

emunand on the switch is pointless, the purpose of emunand is to have a clone of your nand so any changes made you can simply revert back to your original nand, but problem is the firmware update will burn your fuses regardless if your using emunand, and its perminent.

If you want to play online with your switch then you should do it with sysnand and avoid using RCM & you'll need to be on 6.2. So you will burn fuses. You can have emunand as any version you want as the fuse check will be bypassed, but you may as well have it 6.2. As long as you keep emunand offline then it's not pointless because it will hide everything you do from nintendo.

If you're not bothered about online then you can keep your sysnand on it's oldest version (in case there is ever a cold boot exploit for earlier versions) and then install 6.2 in emunand. Fuses won't be burned by booting a 6.2 emunand, or by booting your ancient sysnand. Again emunand is not useless.

In either case you don't need to use autorcm and deal with the issues that creates.

Last edited by smf,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

people need to learn one key thing, you are using an exploit that is and never has been accepted by any console, you run illegally downloaded roms, so simply keep the console offline, dont expect to pirate games and play online for free then bitch you get banned.

buy your games and play on an unmodified console.

having emunand will only show that you havent had xxx game installed to your system, but then its only a matter of time before nintendo click that your using stealthmode and you will get banned.
You got wrong that updating emunand and booting to emunand with cfw burns fuses. It doesn't, booting cfw skips fuse check.
It's not true that updating burns fuses. Booting ofw for the first time after updating burns fuses. That's why people use autorcm so that this can't happen by accident. You can have one burnt fuse and be on 6.2 cfw without any problem, you just need to boot cfw every single time and never boot ofw once.
Or you use emunand, keep sysnand on whatever you want it to be, and update the emunand which, on boot, will not burn fuses. That's the whole point of the emunand business. Would defeat the whole purpose if it wasn't like that.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

RyoX9

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so if i update to 6.2.0 from 5.1.0 my nand back is useless if i plan to go back online and i should back nand again on 6.2.0 because of fuse count.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so if i update to 6.2.0 from 5.1.0 my nand back is useless if i plan to go back online and i should back nand again on 6.2.0 because of fuse count.
If you booted 6.2.0 ofw once, then your fuses are burnt. Your nand backup wouldn't be useless per se, you could restore it but then you couldn't boot the console anymore without at least using Hekate and skipping the fuse check while booting.
It's still a valid backup tho to recover your console in case you screw up somehow. Restore backup, boot with a fuse check skip, update console to current version with ChoiDuJourNX again. I personally don't care about any fuses and just make a new nand backup after a major FW upgrade. My fuses are burnt anyway, I only want nand backup to be able to recover from malicious homebrew etc. if I happen to run something like that by accident - see Pokemon Bricker for example

Reactions: RyoX9

-Mike-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you're not bothered about online then you can keep your sysnand on it's oldest version (in case there is ever a cold boot exploit for earlier versions) and then install 6.2 in emunand. Fuses won't be burned by booting a 6.2 emunand, or by booting your ancient sysnand. Again emunand is not useless.

In either case you don't need to use autorcm and deal with the issues that creates.

100% agree! This is a perfect solution to keep the possibility to recover a nand backup who was created before cfw and being able too boot it without any tricks like Hekate.

In my opinion this is (for the moment) the safest way to prevent a ban until new possibilities (for using online connections in the future) coming up.

But maybe in future fw the switch will even in cfw write the information that it was hacked to the joycons memory... We never know. :)

Last edited by -Mike-,

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChoiDuJourNX has never worked for me in SX OS which is why i set it up on an old 8GB sd card , for what I do with ChoiDuJourNX it suits/works fine, don't have to stuff around on my SX OS SD card

What's the issue it gives you? I had a switch on 5.1, using SX pro on an exfat card. Put the latest ChoiNX file on it, along with the 6.1 fw. Ran it from the SX Homebrew menu, and it worked/updated without any problems. Maybe something is wrong with your main SD card?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol