Hardware So is the Dock AND the Switch powered by USB-C?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello thar!

I have seen that you can buy a Switch AC Adaptor as accessory. This is a simple USB-C-wallplug-charger, as far as I see.

Let me go into lengthy explanation now.

On Nintendo.com you can find the Switch Dock set, including a Dock, the exact same AC Adapter with USB-C and HDMI cable. It specifically says that these items are all included with the Switch, but this is if you want to dock your switch to multiple TVs without carrying the dock hither and tither.

The Switch itself also has a USB-C connector.

So can I assume that you power the Dock as well as charge the Switch's handheld battery with this USB-C AC Adaptor and if yes, couldn't I just use some USB-C cable at some USB charger I have flying around anyway because every smartphone nowadays comes with at least fourteen of them?

Case made.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes the N switch table is usb C
the dock has usb C out and in.
You should be able to use any usb C cable with a usb charger as long as the voltage and amps are the same.
I dont know the specs on the charger but the normal is 1amp 5volts.
there is fast chargers that are normally 9v and 2amps.

So until we find out what the switch uses i would be careful to not overpower it.

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes and yes.
However, keep in mind USB 3.0 and Type C connectors actually can do more than just 5 volts at the standard 0.5 A (yes, most devices use more, but the original USB spec states max 0.5A may be drawn by devices) - it allows for up to 20 volts and 5 amps (100W total), after a negotiation step.
A normal charger will definitely work, but might charge slower than the official charger, depending on what specs it has... We'll see I guess!

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just going to throw a word of warning about using any old USB C cable you have lying around--wait until the thing releases. Many USB C cables are not compliant and can damage your electronics--refer to https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv for tested cables. And honestly I'd wait to see if maybe some type of fast charge is implemented also.

JerryX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just going to throw a word of warning about using any old USB C cable you have lying around--wait until the thing releases. Many USB C cables are not compliant and can damage your electronics--refer to https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv for tested cables. And honestly I'd wait to see if maybe some type of fast charge is implemented also.

What about my USB C cables that I got from Google after buying my Pixel? If there's any that should be reliable I feel like those should be.

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about my USB C cables that I got from Google after buying my Pixel? If there's any that should be reliable I feel like those should be.

If they are from Google, they should be good--you'd have to check the list floating out there, but IIRC they were one of the companies that always makes a good/compliant cable. Like I said, this tablet will likely suck juice like no ones business so who knows if a regular power bank can supply power as fast as it eats it--but at the very least, make sure the cable is compliant. I believe you're good though.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea any real usb-c cable (as in oem samsung, google, htc) should be good.
Its normally the knock off cables that either have to thin of wires or not shielded correctly and they tend to heat up and burn out.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any USB-C cable should be fine but keep an eye on the amps a given charger puts out and refer to the nintendo switch manual before using cell phone chargers. I say this because google devices like my nexus 6p are 5v 3.1A. If the switch is designed to use usb-c in a scenario where they never planned to use the google version of quick charge then the system could get fried by a 3.1A charger if it's not smart enough to regulate the power it draws on it's own. usb-c chargers come in multiple standards. As far as I know there are versions of usb-c for usb2 compatibility (standard 5v, 0.5a-2.4a) as well as quick charge 2.0 and quick charge 3.0 where the voltage drops and the amperage goes up, and google's version which is a steady 5v, 3.1a with the device regulating amperage draw as the battery fills.

Keep in mind my info refers only to the charging block or cigarette adapter piece, not the actual cable. Any type-c cable should be safe but may charge slower that the switch's max charging speed depending on it's specs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay