Android So I think that I screwed up my Galaxy S6..

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stock rom -> https://samsung-firmware.org/download/Galaxy S6/74v4/SPR/G920PVPS4CPI3/G920PSPT4CPI3/
So it would be:
Stock -> Factory Reset -> Twrp + Root -> Custom Rom.
yeah, i didn't think it'd be that easy xc
so to be perfectly clear, once I do this, I wont be able to play pokemon go unless on stock rom, but I'll have data and stuff back?

also, I should backup my contacts and stuff normally, the regular way this time, so that dumb titanium backup doesnt fuck em up again, right?

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally True, what @osaka35 said, however, if he flashed a custom rom already, pretty much the bootloader of its phone is already unlocked, or, isnt?
Custom roms don't necessarily require an unlocked bootloader, though they can certain do more with it. For my verizon s7, it's currently impossible for me to install stock android because of this (and other reasons I'm assuming). It's also impossible for me install magicarp (magisk :P).

I thiiiink the s6 can get an unlocked bootloader?...but I'm not certain.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also, I should backup my contacts and stuff normally, the regular way this time, so that dumb titanium backup doesnt fuck em up again, right?
I sync mine with my gmail, so they're imported whenever I use my gmail as the phone account. Is this something that wouldn't work for you?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, i didn't think it'd be that easy xc
so to be perfectly clear, once I do this, I wont be able to play pokemon go unless on stock rom, but I'll have data and stuff back?

titanium never let me down, but you can use smart switch if you prefer, or just sync the data with google servers.

The best way to play Pokemon Go, its with a Stock Rom, unrooted, to avoid issues and workarounds.

Reactions: Mr.ButtButt

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
titanium never let me down, but you can use smart switch if you prefer, or just sync the data with google servers.

The best way to play Pokemon Go, its with a Stock Rom, unrooted, to avoid issues and workarounds.
damn, I forgot all about smart switch lol. is that how you pogo? If you, uh.. do that is.

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

also, I'd actually be pretty okay with stock rom, if i could get those edge features installed with twrp similar to how to call recording feature can be unlocked

On my Note 4, yes i go stock, but when needed, i use my Note 3, Rooted, there are several workarounds, but if you are not a techy person, avoid all this and go full stock.
it's not that I'm not techy, it's just that I'm new to this particular field

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
99% of the custom roms, are rooted, which means , no POGO, if the SU binary is present, No Pogo... Pokemon go uses SafetyNet, well, niantic does.. so Ingress also uses SafetyNet, So.. quoting someone:

SafetyNet is the tool Niantic is using to prevent the use of root from android users. This is a Google Service provided with GooglePlayServices, is used in critical app to avoid alteration of data as an example AndroidPay, and it follows most of the guidelines to provide a safe "device authentication"; its main scope is to tell if a device is in a compatible state or in other words if there are no major alterations to the system. This is more or less the workflow:

• an apk register to GooglePlayServices obtaining an object that identify the apk in an unique way;
  • the apk request a SafetyNet check on the device and provide a nonce (a unique number);

• GooglePlayServices make a request to Google Servers. This request is certificate pinned;

• a SafetyNet client is downloaded to the device, up to now this client is a Java executable that uses reflection. This client is often updated, so it's a cat mouse race scenario;

• the client performs some checks of the device and collect some data, then sends those data to Google Servers;

• the client overall read what application made the request, ask to GooglePlayServices what is the application and request also some checksum about the APK, also those data are sent to Google Servers;

• Google Servers analyze those data (we don't know what checks they do, but we can imagine from the nature of data collected on our device) and produce a compatibility check flag [true/false];

• Google Servers create a resulting string called JWS aka JSON web signature [I will call the result of SafetyNet JWS], this string is composed by:
    • the nonce provided by the APK
    • a timestamp
    • the name of the apk
    • the signature of the certificate of the apk
    • the hash of the apk
    • the flag, a simple true or false that will tell if the device is compatible.

• the SafetyNet client get the response and pass it to the calling apk;

• the apk check locally or even better on a remote server (Niantic check on their servers) if the device is compatible, reading the response and sending a request to Google servers of the authenticity of the response;

• if Google servers receive a request of authenticity but they don't recognize the nonce and every other data in the JWS, they won't authenticate the JWS.
This is more or less the workflow, as you can see an attacker has a limited window for performing attacks. One of the most important thing is that SafetyNet Client run with user privileges.

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
99% of the custom roms, are rooted, which means , no POGO, if the SU binary is present, No Pogo... Pokemon go uses SafetyNet, well, niantic does.. so Ingress also uses SafetyNet, So.. quoting someone:

SafetyNet is the tool Niantic is using to prevent the use of root from android users. This is a Google Service provided with GooglePlayServices, is used in critical app to avoid alteration of data as an example AndroidPay, and it follows most of the guidelines to provide a safe "device authentication"; its main scope is to tell if a device is in a compatible state or in other words if there are no major alterations to the system. This is more or less the workflow:

• an apk register to GooglePlayServices obtaining an object that identify the apk in an unique way;
  • the apk request a SafetyNet check on the device and provide a nonce (a unique number);

• GooglePlayServices make a request to Google Servers. This request is certificate pinned;

• a SafetyNet client is downloaded to the device, up to now this client is a Java executable that uses reflection. This client is often updated, so it's a cat mouse race scenario;

• the client performs some checks of the device and collect some data, then sends those data to Google Servers;

• the client overall read what application made the request, ask to GooglePlayServices what is the application and request also some checksum about the APK, also those data are sent to Google Servers;

• Google Servers analyze those data (we don't know what checks they do, but we can imagine from the nature of data collected on our device) and produce a compatibility check flag [true/false];

• Google Servers create a resulting string called JWS aka JSON web signature [I will call the result of SafetyNet JWS], this string is composed by:
    • the nonce provided by the APK
    • a timestamp
    • the name of the apk
    • the signature of the certificate of the apk
    • the hash of the apk
    • the flag, a simple true or false that will tell if the device is compatible.

• the SafetyNet client get the response and pass it to the calling apk;

• the apk check locally or even better on a remote server (Niantic check on their servers) if the device is compatible, reading the response and sending a request to Google servers of the authenticity of the response;

• if Google servers receive a request of authenticity but they don't recognize the nonce and every other data in the JWS, they won't authenticate the JWS.
This is more or less the workflow, as you can see an attacker has a limited window for performing attacks. One of the most important thing is that SafetyNet Client run with user privileges.
I think I understand more, now. It isnt just a simple "Oh, you're rooted, blocked" or "Oh, it doesn't look like you're rooted, you're free to go in"
In that case, would it be possible to root, install the features, then unroot? and play normally?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I understand more, now. It isnt just a simple "Oh, you're rooted, blocked" or "Oh, it doesn't look like you're rooted, you're free to go in"
In that case, would it be possible to root, install the features, then unroot? and play normally?
Exactly:
Root and Xposed users aren't blocked, thanks to Magisk, if they don't want to interfere with Pokemon Go App or actuate interference with other apps in the meanwhile Pokemon go is running.

This is very convenient, since it allows us to run our adblocks or customize our system UI. But the easy way up to now described is "if you play pokemon just disable root and xposed, when you are done with pokemon then enable root and Xposed".

This may be ok for most of us but it may be not ok for cheater or for users of advanced memory cleaner, as an example.

Actually SafetyNet is called on startup of pokemon go and few other times (once every 30 minutes more or less), this give anyone a time window for having pokemon go and root functionality/xposed running at the same time.

How to use this time window is discussed later. Just a last note, if you wanna try to decompile the apk, you need to know that the logical part is under [...].nia.platform.SafetyNetService.class and that the nonce and the reply from SafetyNet are passed to native code through nativeAttestResponse(). There the nonce and the response are passed to Niantic servers where they check and validate the response.

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly:
Root and Xposed users aren't blocked, thanks to Magisk, if they don't want to interfere with Pokemon Go App or actuate interference with other apps in the meanwhile Pokemon go is running.

This is very convenient, since it allows us to run our adblocks or customize our system UI. But the easy way up to now described is "if you play pokemon just disable root and xposed, when you are done with pokemon then enable root and Xposed".

This may be ok for most of us but it may be not ok for cheater or for users of advanced memory cleaner, as an example.

Actually SafetyNet is called on startup of pokemon go and few other times (once every 30 minutes more or less), this give anyone a time window for having pokemon go and root functionality/xposed running at the same time.

How to use this time window is discussed later. Just a last note, if you wanna try to decompile the apk, you need to know that the logical part is under [...].nia.platform.SafetyNetService.class and that the nonce and the reply from SafetyNet are passed to native code through nativeAttestResponse(). There the nonce and the response are passed to Niantic servers where they check and validate the response.
decompiling isn't evem am option for me lol, I just want the features and to play the game xD

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try this:

Go to Stock, do a Hard Factory Reset, then TWRP + ROOT , flash the Custom Rom, then try to fully unroot, then it should work ;D

Just remember, SuperSu its not the Root Aplication, its just the manager between being rooted and the user permissions, the SU binary its the one that give access, so, when fully unrooting, make sure that the Binary its deleted, or POGO will stay the same.

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try this:

Go to Stock, do a Hard Factory Reset, then TWRP + ROOT , flash the Custom Rom, then try to fully unroot, then it should work ;D

Just remember, SuperSu its not the Root Aplication, its just the manager between being rooted and the user permissions, the SU binary its the one that give access, so, when fully unrooting, make sure that the Binary its deleted, or POGO will stay the same.
and I could just google how to unroot right?

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Luckkill4u

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure your doing it right? Your device is the SM-G920P right? Are you using the right firmware? Is your device possibly a fake? Did you buy it from a Samsung dealer?

Make sure your following these instructions properly: http://www.androidrootz.com/2015/05/how-to-unroot-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge.html?m=1
i have absolutely no idea if im doing it right.
i followed the instructions word from word several times.
we bought the phone at our sprint store.
yes it is the SM-G920PVPS4CPJ1.
I have absolutely no idea what is going on.

Luckkill4u

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
i have absolutely no idea if im doing it right.
i followed the instructions word from word several times.
we bought the phone at our sprint store.
yes it is the SM-G920PVPS4CPJ1.
I have absolutely no idea what is going on.
Well I want to help you get your S6 working again. I know it can be a bit stressful when this happens but just bear with me.

What step do you get stuck at on the tutorial? Is it step 11?

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes it says fail after i click start.
idk if you read the rest of the thread, but if not, i suggest you do, as it offers a little bit more information for my predicament.
I thank you for actually helping me with this. We have unlimited data, but i feel like a huge ass not even being able to use data right now :(

Luckkill4u

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
yes it says fail after i click start.
idk if you read the rest of the thread, but if not, i suggest you do, as it offers a little bit more information for my predicament.
I thank you for actually helping me with this. We have unlimited data, but i feel like a huge ass not even being able to use data right now :(
Do you have another computer to try? Maybe a different USB cable? Try to temporarily turn off your anti-virus because it might be stopping Odin. Also are you using the correct drivers?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: