OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
Achievement Unlocked: Steal an iPhone.

I would've called one of their contacts or preferably their home number to find out who it was and give it back to them. Hell their e-mail address was probably stored on the thing, did you think to check that?

Also: Was it lying there for a few days or something? Your OP makes it sound like you kept seeing it and one day decided just to take it home.

Essentially what happened is 4 or so weeks ago, I saw the iPhone sitting in a bin we use to store random stuff like plastic bags and gloves and stuff, I was looking for gloves and noticed the iPhone. I thought it was just a careless employees who left it there, so I left it alone. I then completely forgot about it until two days ago when I was looking for something else in the bin and saw it again. This time I actually tried to turn it on, but it was completely dead. It also hadn't moved an inch (that I can recall) since I last saw it. So it was clearly abandoned and it could have pretty easily been found if the person lost it and called it. There would have been customers/employees commenting on an annoying ringing phone if it happened. There looked to be no attempts to try and call or find the iPhone.

As for contacts, it had 1 person whose name didn't correspond (first or last) with the owners name. I didn't see an email address anywhere. Though like I said, i'm phone retarded. So no idea where to look for that really.

Anyways I feel stupid, I read the one stickied thread and it made jailbreaking/unlocking this thing pretty trivial...cool. It's 4.1 IOS with a new bootrom or whatever but it sounds like I can JB/U it with Sn0wbreeze pretty easily. Though I don't really know what firmware IPSW to use/modify.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Y'know you could've just phoned a contact for details however awkward it may be. Personally the whole "clearly abandoned," angle just sounds like you attempting to rationalise why you should keep the phone.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Frankly I don't care to rationalize it or not. It was sitting in the same place for 4 weeks, so it was abandoned (whether the owner wanted it to be or not).

We can preach all day about yada yada shoulda tried this yada that yada this.
Don't bother, please. If I wanted someone to preach to me, i'd go to church.

As far as I can surmise, nothing was done to try and get this thing back. I work pretty much full time. It's likely I was there the day this thing got lost. All things aside, there was no one asking about an iPhone, nor any announcements over the intercom asking if anyone had found/seen it (and people do this frequently if they drop or lose something of theirs). What likely happened is it was lost, and an employee found it at the end of the day. We have a LOT of newbies, so they probably just threw it in the bin and forgot about it and rushed upstairs to get ready to go home.
No calls were made to the phone, no contact whatsoever actually. It's like the person forgot they had an iPhone.
But anyways, like I said, I don't really care. That wasn't me rationalizing this ^ since it's not really rationalizable given the circumstances. But that's a basic summary of what didn't and could've happened.

Sooo if I can't derive any actual useful details out of this thread anymore (thanks, to the first few posters, for the initial help), it's rather useless to me.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tough shit, you posted this on the internet and quite frankly it sounds like you made a feeble attempt in giving the phone back to the owner. Oh yeah, you are rationalising to keep the phone. It is pretty clear you are.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And if he doesn't care, then there's nothing really to say about it :/ Someone lost, someone gained. The clouds still move.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
emigre said:
Tough shit, you posted this on the internet and quite frankly it sounds like you made a feeble attempt in giving the phone back to the owner. Oh yeah, you are rationalising to keep the phone. It is pretty clear you are.
Yay someone else has morals on the Internet
smile.gif

To be honest I am actually even more disappointed with the people who posted telling hells malice how to avoid the owner tracking it

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
emigre said:
I love feeling self-rightous, don't you?

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wow! I didn't realise that gbatemp was full of a bunch of heartless bastards. I guess they've never heard about murphy's law.

I do find it especially sad that this person's parents appear to have brought them up correctly since they insisted that it should be retuned to the rightful owner, but somewhere along the line, like many others, people seem to thing that everything in the world is owed to them, regardless of the circumstances or situations. quite sad.

also, a big "fuck you" to everyone that told him/her to keep it. obviously they have no sense of ethics either.
frown.gif

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
thieves like us said:
wow! I didn't realise that gbatemp was full of a bunch of heartless bastards. I guess they've never heard about murphy's law.

I do find it especially sad that this person's parents appear to have brought them up correctly since they insisted that it should be retuned to the rightful owner, but somewhere along the line, like many others, people seem to thing that everything in the world is owed to them, regardless of the circumstances or situations. quite sad.

also, a big "fuck you" to everyone that told him/her to keep it. obviously they have no sense of ethics either.
frown.gif
*looks at username*
unsure.gif

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
..should have at least made the attempt to find the original owner. Could have taken it to AT&T or to whatever place was giving the phone service. Claiming something as your own that you know never belonged to you. That's just messed. I'm with your dad. You NEED to return this phone. Thief....

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
triassic911 said:
thieves like us said:

frown.gif
*looks at username*
unsure.gif
Ouch!
tongue.gif

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quietlyawesome94 said:
You should be aware that it might be password protected. (Password to unlock the screen) And if it is. Your only choice would be a full restore in Itunes.
frown.gif
Also, If it isn't password protected. Immediately look for an app called "Find my Iphone". This is usually the app of choice to find stolen or lost Iphones. Uninstall that.
wink.gif

You are disgusting...

Anyway, please return it to the owner. Someone must be lost it and desperate to find it. You will be good Samaritan if you return it to the owner.
smile.gif

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
RockmanForte said:
Quietlyawesome94 said:
You should be aware that it might be password protected. (Password to unlock the screen) And if it is. Your only choice would be a full restore in Itunes.
frown.gif
Also, If it isn't password protected. Immediately look for an app called "Find my Iphone". This is usually the app of choice to find stolen or lost Iphones. Uninstall that.
wink.gif

You are disgusting...

Anyway, please return it to the owner. Someone must be lost it and desperate to find it. You will be good Samaritan if you return it to the owner.
smile.gif
Actually he'll be -1 iPhone if he returns it.

Just kidding
laugh.gif

I'm in favor of returning it too. But now that it's been formatted it might be a little complicated to get some contact info out of it.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
triassic911 said:
thieves like us said:

frown.gif
*looks at username*
unsure.gif
jackass. my username is a "new order" song. and you obviously haven't been around long enough to know what I've done for this forum

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
triassic911 said:
I also found an iPhone yesterday at work! I sold it.

Yeeah I need to sell it outside of North America since the IMEI is blocked. Well, that's PROBABLY the problem with it. I unlocked it and it wasn't picking up my sister's koodo simcard. Dunno if that means the IMEI was blocked, or that koodo just doesn't work. Hard to say since every single website about iPhones is British, and they don't have koodo.
Still works great as an iTouch though since that's all an iPhone is.

I can't believe this thread is still going, lol. I haven't read a single reply if it seemed to be boring and non-topical. Just randomly spotted this one ^

Though I did lol hard at the post above mine. I commend your ego, thieves.

Oh and on a final note, i'd like to say this. I don't find this immoral, lol. I really don't. Colour me "screwed up" if you want, but i've always had a strong disliking towards stupidity.
I understand and accept that everyone has their "stupid moments."
That's life.
But losing something as expensive as an iPhone is just a joke. It takes such supreme stupidity to actually lose one of those things, and even more stupidity to not go to any lengths to try and find it.
The chances of it being stolen are nill. If it was stolen, the thief would have taken it, or came back for it. It was lost, and it was never found because no one was looking for it. That's stupidity.
There were no calls and no messages attempting to locate or track down the phone (or contact someone who found it). That's stupidity. I'm aware the phone eventually died, but I doubt it had dead batteries when it was first put where it was.
There was no fuss made over the loss of an iPhone in the store, no one reported they had lost it in the store. That's stupidity.
and don't say "maybe they didn't notice it was gone." because that's stupidity as well. Not realizing you've left a store and no longer possess your expensive ass cellphone, which most people live for, is stupidity.

That's a lot of stupidity, and i'm not rewarding or accepting this persons stupidity by giving them their phone back.
Does that make me a heartless bastard? Maybe by someone with different moral standards. That's the beauty of morals, they're subjective. Many people have their own moral code. Some harsher then others.

Anyways for someone who doesn't care enough to even read the replies in this thread, nor do I actually even care about justifying myself to others, i've made some long ass posts.

How do I go about requesting this thread be locked?

Reactions: Chary

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
thieves like us said:
triassic911 said:
thieves like us said:

frown.gif
*looks at username*
unsure.gif
jackass. my username is a "new order" song. and you obviously haven't been around long enough to know what I've done for this forum
I really don't care.

Also, I agree with TC. If someone lost their expensive phone, oh well. One person's loss is another person's gain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1