Apple So I...found an iPhone 3GS

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After taking some time to rethink, you probably should return it.
unsure.gif

After all, it isn't yours and its a legal gray area as well as a moral one.

But meh, do what you want.
tongue.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Kiaku said:
Here's what'll happen when you return the iphone:
Owner: "Thank you very much!"
You: "You're welcome. Be careful with it next time."
Owner: "[blah blah blah...]"
*goes on for a while...
Owner: "Ok. Thanks again! Bye!"
You go home, sit on your computer desk, and the whole scenario feels awkward. You start to regret returning the iphone.

So, I'd suggest to just keep the iphone. I don't see why returning it would be a benefit. Morals mean nothing towards someone you don't know or care (well, for me and most likely others).
And then you break your back working for 2 months to buy yourself one iPhone 4, you lose it, and seriously hope that the guy who found it will return it to you.

But that doesn't happen 'coz the guy thought it'd be better to keep it. Then you'll remind yourself of the time you found an iPhone 3GS and didn't take it back.

IT WILL HAUNT YOU FOREVER.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I found myself in a similar situation. The phone is question was a Samsung Galaxy. I contacted the owner and returned it. Y'know cause it was the decent thing.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Dude... I'm with Densetsu9000 on this.

Take out the SIM card, look for the cellphone number there (it is there, right? it is in Sweden at least).
Then, do you have this service for looking up phone numbers? Who the owner is? We do in Sweden, and it's really convenient. Then you can see other contact informations there... contact him or her, and return it.
Worst case: You've done a good deed. Best case: You'll get an award, or maybe keep the phone.

I would not "steal" the phone.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Issac said:
Dude... I'm with Densetsu9000 on this.

Take out the SIM card, look for the cellphone number there (it is there, right? it is in Sweden at least).
Then, do you have this service for looking up phone numbers? Who the owner is? We do in Sweden, and it's really convenient. Then you can see other contact informations there... contact him or her, and return it.
Worst case: You've done a good deed. Best case: You'll get an award, or maybe keep the phone.

I would not "steal" the phone.

I agree, at least try and find the owner.
He/she might not usually be that careless..this could have been the first time they've lost something so important, and now they're fucked.
Having said that, it could be some rich yuppie who's already replaced his phone with an Iphone 10 model, and is lightyears ahead of time..."Great SCOTTS Marty!!"

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Lol. I dont understand you people. I never feel guilt when i do something evil lol
tongue.gif
Not when it means it totally benefits me. Damn i must truly be a sadist.

EDIT: But i would try to return it, unless i really badly wanted a iPhone. I would keep it if i were, but i dont.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I lost my phone on the street I would blame myself and probably have replaced it within the week, gotten a new sim card and blocked my old sim card.
If someone returned it to me I would be astounded and reward them. (Only £30 or so.)

The person has not even tried to ring the phone in four weeks or contact you in any way. I would just keep it now. My conscience would feel clear personally.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
DeadLocked said:
If I lost my phone on the street I would blame myself and probably have replaced it within the week, gotten a new sim card and blocked my old sim card.
If someone returned it to me I would be astounded and reward them. (Only £30 or so.)

The person has not even tried to ring the phone in four weeks or contact you in any way. I would just keep it now. My conscience would feel clear personally.

Well, as the consensus in this thread goes:

Worst case scenario: Guy claims you stole it, angrily takes it back, no reward.
Mid Case Scenario: "Ah, gee, thanks for returning it, brony. Here, have some cash!"
Best case scenario: "Oh, right. That IS my phone. Hey, I got a new one, you can keep it
biggrin.gif
"

I'd say trying to return it is the best thing to do. It'll get your dad off your back, and if he REALLY lets you keep it, then, what they hay, you got your own iPhone.

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
it has been 4 weeks now right?, try to give a ring to the person like once, that is if you can find the number.... But first if you didn't need to crack a password, copy his information file first..... THEN return it

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Try to do everything to get in contact with the person. He/she will be very grateful! It is your own decision butta the person may be very nice and you can become friends! ;D Believe me nothing is more worth then a new friend!

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
DeadLocked said:

He said in the first post that the battery is completely dead.... It's hard to ring the phone in that case.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found an iPhone 3GS one time. I found it lying in a pile of snow/slush on my way home from a comedy show. It was, of course, dead. I considered that there might be water damage, so I let it dry for a couple of days, plugged it in, and it worked perfectly. It wasn't password protected, it was still logged into the owner's Facebook account, and the owner and I both lived on the same college campus. That, plus the fact that I would probably get tacked with a data plan if I took it for myself, prompted me to return it. The owner told me that she had literally had her purse snatched; the culprit must have dropped or tossed the iPhone. The owner offered to pay me for my valiance, but I declined. I regret nothing, especially since the 3GS is $50 these days. My iPod Touch and I are just fine, and we don't have to pay any data plans.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
DeadLocked said:

He said in the first post that the battery is completely dead.... It's hard to ring the phone in that case.

I don't know about any of you, but my iPhone 4 even when dead alerts me to missed calls when I turn it on. As well as missed text messages.

Keep the phone, or return it. The only person getting hurt is the previous owner, and or your morality.

(I'd check to make sure that isn't the Prototype iPhone 5. XD.)

(Though the time frame would be off a bit.)

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
search for the owner or take it to the police
it may be stolen (then dropped or left there) or maybe dropped when the owner gor murdered or kidnapped, it might help resolve the crime
you never know
and where did you find it anyway
if you have the owner's name search for it
(don't flame me for my imagination [might be real as the world is fucked up now])

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't take it to the police. Nothing will happen to it and one of the officers will probably claim it after a month or so...

I would try to return it though. Try calling one of his/hers contacts, or try logging into their Facebook (if still logged in). Try everything you can to contact them. Otherwise you will live in guilt for the rest of your life. They might even reward you, if so, not only will you get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you did the right thing, but you may end up $20 richer.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried searching the guys name on facebook and google.
No luck.
Wasn't ever going to contact one of his contacts. God would THAT be pointlessly awkward.

Sooo I reset the phone to factory default. Though now it's kinda useless since I don't have a sim card, and my sister has a koodo sim card that seems to not be compatible. So now i'm googling around how to jailbreak it. Dunno if I can until I get a sim card to activate it.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Achievement Unlocked: Steal an iPhone.

I would've called one of their contacts or preferably their home number to find out who it was and give it back to them. Hell their e-mail address was probably stored on the thing, did you think to check that?

Also: Was it lying there for a few days or something? Your OP makes it sound like you kept seeing it and one day decided just to take it home.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, the price she will give them will be over infinite