So I bought a counterfeit GBA game

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by fli_guy84, Feb 23, 2007.

Feb 23, 2007
  1. fli_guy84
    OP

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    I was walking down the nearby mall today before I came across a video games shop.

So I just browsed through the games collection hoping to see something that might interest me, and then I saw it: FFVI for GBA.

I asked the seller for its price, he told me it's about $10. So right there I know it's a counterfeited game. But I went ahead and bought it anyway.

I tried on my DS Lite when I got home, and lo and behold, it works fine! There's no slowdown in loading times and I even managed to play 15 minutes into the game without any problems. I ended up using 2/3 save states.

In terms of build quality, the counterfeit cart is pretty good. The plastic cart shell feels as strong as a normal cart shell. It just doesn't have the triwing screw that an original cart has. And it fits firmly in my DS Lite.

All in all, I think my $10 is spent well. We'll see how it turns out later. It even comes with 1 week of warranty from the seller [​IMG]

I'm not saying you guys should buy one, but does any of you guys have some experience with counterfeited carts?

2. sipoon

Member sipoon GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    The save game battery on it might die on you eventually at random times especially on long games like final fantasy...but then again it might not....i had the mario tennis rpg..I had to start from the beginning again several several times [​IMG]...i finally finished the whole game without losing the save after leaving it alone for a long time before picking it up again

3. Arkansaw

Member Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

East Timor
    $10 per game is still a very bad deal when you have 'backup' equipment [​IMG]

4. fli_guy84
    OP

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    Yeah I know, but I already have a Slot-1 backup device. Since I always buy GBA games that I like (used [​IMG] ), it doesn't matter to me [​IMG]

5. opcode32

Member opcode32 powerh8er par excellence

United States
    if you're already spending money on a game might as well buy one that you know is legit. those pirated games are quite common on ebay, i tried to buy several games some time ago and always got pirated crap. thank god i managed to get my money back, but all the hassle i had to go trough quite pissed me off.

6. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    lol nothing like ordering DVD on Ebay and getting those crappy burnt DVD instead of the stamped one another proof ebay sells nothing but "it"
    i've ordered a DVD that clearly states "Original! not a copy!" and it had stupid paper label and purple write side...

anyhow $10 is a good deal if it plays, crackheads here need to start making/selling bootleg games... i dont need no bling or stereos, i want a $10 gba/ds game

7. chalupa

Member chalupa GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i always wondered wht the diffrences betwwen pirated and original games are, now i know! [​IMG]

8. larvi

Member larvi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hopefully it's not like the bootleg pokemon games that would have the habit of working fine until you beat the elite 4 and then they would erase your save [​IMG]

9. boblen

Newcomer boblen Advanced Member

Australia
    Sometimes you get lucky and the save holds.
    I have one from ebay - Zelda a link to the past.
    Giveaways -
    Cart is a slight blacker
    Cart has a normal screw - some have the triangle ones.
    Cart says NIntondo on the back.

Also only has first 5 pages of a manual...
    Save game will go after 5-10 saves...

10. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    rofl NIntondo

* goes off and plays his Phony Laystation 3

11. celentt

Member celentt GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I've purchased countless fake carts back in the GBA days, all is good except for one problem, the day when ur saves will no longer be saved will come. I had this happen to all my Super Robot War games... it will happen in due time

12. boblen

Newcomer boblen Advanced Member

Australia
    yer depends what battery they used.

Just need to change that over - only problem THEY SOLDERED IT IN!

13. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I used to buy a ton of counterfeit GBA games... then I decided to get a F2A Ultra... yeah the fake GBA games lost their saves after a while which really bummed me out.

14. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    My friend had a fake Super Mario Brothers 3 cart... Instead of saying "Nintendo" it said "Ninfendo" [​IMG] those pirates...

15. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've got the "Kirby Red Diamond" GBA game which is actually a GB kirby game with a colour GBA style intro. Guess the plus side is that it's a way of running kirby GB on a DS.

16. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The thing that made me laugh the most about some of the counterfeit GBA carts, is when they still have the hackers intro on them [​IMG]

17. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom

18. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I used to get alot of these carts from a market in N. Wales every sunday. They were the multi game ones like 100-in-1 and 200-in-1 etc they would usually have a good game on them like a proper GBA game and the other 200 games would be NES on loopy's pocketNES emu lol! They were like £5-£10. The same market store now sells 360 games and dvds loaded with PSP isos etc even though its big and heavily policed.

19. Mars

Member Mars Radioactive Propaganda Minister

United States
    I bought 3 counterfeit GBA games. Two of them work perfectly but the other (Mario Tennis) doesn't save.

20. Nevin007

Member Nevin007 GBAtemp Regular

United States

I buy gamecube games off eBay. How common are pirated gamecube games?