Hacking So, DVD+R works?

xshoyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii came pre-loaded with 3.0U (Which I havent upgraded yet).
I burned Spider-Man Web of Shadows at 2.4x (The only option). After some confusion with Backup Loader 0.3 Gamma (In which the game wouldn't load, but after pressing B and rebooting, loading it through the normal loader worked).

The game's working (Albeit the loading being very skippy). Bought the wii about a week ago, did I get a lucky Drive or is the whole "DVD+R Doesn't work" aimed at the fact that it skips alot?

sl33p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+R didnt work for me but seems to work for some. -R has much better compatibility so people generally recommend those.

I haven't played spiderman or got +Rs to work so I cannot comment on that.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xshoyz said:
I burned Spider-Man Web of Shadows at 2.4x (The only option). After some confusion with Backup Loader 0.3 Gamma (In which the game wouldn't load, but after pressing B and rebooting, loading it through the normal loader worked).

The game's working (Albeit the loading being very skippy). Bought the wii about a week ago, did I get a lucky Drive or is the whole "DVD+R Doesn't work" aimed at the fact that it skips alot?
first off don't burn at 2.4x this is prolly what causes skipping/lagging during loading(that or bad media/burn)at the lowest burn at 4x and changing book type to DVD-ROM for dvd+r this makes most dvd+r work though some are known to work with out it changed.

xshoyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wolffangalchemist said:
xshoyz said:

first off don't burn at 2.4x this is prolly what causes skipping/lagging during loading(that or bad media/burn)at the lowest burn at 4x and changing book type to DVD-ROM for dvd+r this makes most dvd+r work though some are known to work with out it changed.

I apparently have one of the only two Lite-On drives that doesn't support booktype changing (SOHW-822S). I'm burning another game at 2X to see if that'll fix it, which seems to get recommended 24/7.

thawkins1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The whole DVD+R thing not working is wrong. It just all depends on what kind of DVD drive you have in your wii. But make sure you set the booktype to DVD-ROM and burn at 4x.

xshoyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thawkins1 said:
The whole DVD+R thing not working is wrong. It just all depends on what kind of DVD drive you have in your wii. But make sure you set the booktype to DVD-ROM and burn at 4x.

Am I screwed if I can't change booktype? :/

jpref

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
not necessarily, some drives are able to booktype without enforcing it. i use verbatim dvd+r and burn @ 4x

thawkins1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xshoyz said:
thawkins1 said:

Am I screwed if I can't change booktype? :/

I think that Liteon and Samsung DVD drives auto set booktype in imgburn.

xshoyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finished burning Mario at 2.4x using IMGBurn (I set it to 2x, I don't know why it went back to 2.4).
So far, no lag, no skips, etc.

Are certain games known to work better in a case like this, like Mario Galaxy?

Edit: Okay, video lags, but the Gameplay seems perfect.

thawkins1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xshoyz said:
Finished burning Mario at 2.4x using IMGBurn (I set it to 2x, I don't know why it went back to 2.4).

Your burner can't burn at any higher speed? "Example: 4x or 8x"

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xshoyz said:

Edit: Okay, video lags, but the Gameplay seems perfect.
yeah there are some issues like no more heroes is known to skip music while on the motorcycle ect, ect,...
but these are just your common bugs but loading skipping seems like something caused by not burning at the right speed or with media your drives like.

TrickyTony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah my +R works fine, but does anyone know if Macs (Disk Utility) book types to DVD-ROM by default, I feel like it might and that might be helping me cause my first few I was even burning at 2x and those work too.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've used DVD+R's and they've been fine, i'm not sure I book set all, I know res evil 4 and no more heroes I bookset to dvd-rom but the rest I cant recall.

Use dvdinfopro to check the quality of your burn, it might have been a bad burn.

When I check the quality of my burns I usually have a burn quality of 99.55% or higher
biggrin.gif

kashin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I only used DVD+Rs, i only burned 2X and i only used IMGBurn.
All of my games worked, except for some which i forgot to IOS Patch, but they did after i redid it xP
They all work at great speeds and rarely ever skip for so much as a nanosecond.

For as far as i can tell, my experience with DVD+Rs seems better than that of most people using DVD-Rs.

(I used Verbatim DVD+R @ 2x and Sony DVD+R @ 2x)

nanika

文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xshoyz said:

Skips like that are due to the backup loader only being able to read from backup disks at half the speed of retail Wii Disks. Because DVD+R's booktype must be changed for it to be recognised by the Wii, and some drives cannot do this, it can cause +R disks not to work. I have had no problem with -R or +R disks, except for the problem of the skipping all the loaders have.

xshoyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success!

Who would have thought that a firmware for a different drive would be what would allow me to change booktypes.

Time to see if DVD-Rom will fix any of the problems I've been having. (Crapton of DVD-Errors and Wii Freezings)

kitt050383

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
looks like we have another cross flasher... lol... usually just upgrading the drives firmware will give you the option to set the booktype... or you need the special app from the manufacturer....

check out my signature for more info....
-kitt050383

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1