So, DoA or SFIV?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by ashxu, Sep 14, 2011.

Sep 14, 2011

So, DoA or SFIV? by ashxu at 7:44 AM (1,942 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. ashxu
    OP

Member ashxu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I know SFIV a lot more, never played DoA. I'll probably be playing online a lot but I heard SFIV's online is just filled with pros or spammers.

I have SFIV on PC too, but no one plays that.

[​IMG]
    DOESN'T HELP AT ALL [​IMG]

I've heard good things about DoA though, but again I'm on the fence for which one to get.

2. DJ Hobo

Member DJ Hobo GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I was in the same position as you. I was a Street Fighter fan, and had never played DoA. Honestly, though, I'm actually enjoying DoA more. Street Pass is a lot more fun with DoA. As for SFIV online.. Yeah, most of the people I found online were spammers. You can counter that, though.

3. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    DOA is a 3D fighter, SSFIV is a '2D' arcade.

DOA has arguably better graphics, SSFIV has arguably better controls.

I made a review on both though, you might want to check it out.

4. ashxu
    OP

Australia
    mmm, you got both or something?

I'm also worried they might release another SF on 3DS, judging by the amount of expansions they like to release.

Grahh, Websites say SFIV is essential but actual people personally think DoA is better...

Goddamit.

5. ashxu
    OP

Australia
    Got a link?

edit: err, sorry about the double post. I'm used to forums which have auto merge.

6. johnny1233465487

Member johnny1233465487 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    The Witcher 2.

7. ashxu
    OP

Australia
    ... what?

8. Trizae

Newcomer Trizae Member

Australia
    i'm from melbourne too!, but too be honest purchased DOA over the weekend pre-owned and not feeling it like I am SSFIV I find much more enjoyment from the online of SSFIV the presentation and 1player modes of DOA are fun. But I find SSFIV more value and enjoyment! I'll personally wait for Tekken 3D when i'm in need of a 3D fighter but i'm going to actually return DOA tommorrow at EB and put it towards my purchase of starfox and cash refund [​IMG]

9. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Just check out the reviews section of the temp.

It is quite clearly stated [​IMG]

10. DJ Hobo

Australia
    Yeah, I've got both. I bought SFIV on launch day, and a friend bought me DoA (before the classification change, here in Australia). Since you already know Street Fighter pretty well, I think you should get DoA, since it would be something different. If you get Street Fighter, it'll be the same game you already know and have; only difference is that it's portable. Although, if you're a big fan of the series, I guess that would actually be a good thing.

11. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Always preferred DoA to any fighter that isn't called Soul Calibur. I just love the fighting mechanism, seems to have a much better flow and feel for me and DoA 3DS is kinda like playing a best of so I do suggest that one plus Capcom would probably release another 3DS version of SSF4 it next year like they said they may.

12. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I own both and street fighter is a pick up and play game, where it doesnt take much skill

DOA on the other hand is more skillful, more timing to it and alot more challenging, because of that I prefer DOA especially online

13. ashxu
    OP

Australia
    Oh speaking of which, mostly directed to the fellow Australians here, how's the online?

Laggy or smooth?

14. DJ Hobo

Australia
    From my own experience, playing against other Aussies is definitely smooth. For playing against everyone else, it's been a mixed bag. I've had some fights where everything was smooth, and I've had fights that were completely unplayable.

15. ashxu
    OP

Australia
    Are there a lot of Australian players?

I've had bad experiences with Nintendo Wi-Fi games haha

16. Weaselpipe

Member Weaselpipe Erratic Temp user

United Kingdom
    AS a long time Street Fighter fan, I picked up DOA when there were hardly any games out for the 3DS and after about half an hour of confusion I got very into it. The system it uses is a lot better than SF's button mashing/ fireball spamming, and there is a lot to unlock.

Online-wise, SF4 is very good and lag-free, I had one laggy match out of over a hundred. Unfortunately a lot of players simply spam moves repeatedly, and those that don't have practised endlessly with their one character of choice (you can tell by their stats how often they've played with each character)
    DOA online takes a lot of time to find a match, and if you choose wordlwide you will 75% of the time find a laggy match. However when it works it works beautifully well, and is much more challenging than SF. My only real gripe being the inability to re-match a good opponent instantly (an option SF4 includes).

Summary- SF4 is a traditional 2D fighter that has nothing to unlock, but speedy online in which you'll probably get smashed a lot. DOA is a 3D fighter superior (I think) to Tekken that has a lot to unlock and MUCH better use of Streetpass/SpotPass, but the online is very hit and miss (unless you only choose regional)

Do as I did- get both and trade one if it proves inferior (I traded SF4)

17. Kiekoes

Member Kiekoes Lord of the Seven Kingdoms

Netherlands
    I'd say SF4.

18. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    Defenitely DoA. SF doesn't give you anything to work for except silly avatars and titles to use for online play (all characters are unlocked from the start). Also SF has no real story line to keep you busy while DoA has a really good one! Also there is plenty of stuff to unlock (more courses, characters, modes, costumes etc). It will keep you occupied far longer then SF (I owned both). Another part is the fighting system in DoA is far more challenging and smooth and technical than the system put in place for SF. If you like instant and mind numbing fast play, pick SF. Otherwise DoA is your best choice (which comes from a long time SF fan). Sf just doesn't add anything new if your familiar with the games.

19. ashxu
    OP

Australia
    Hmm, yeah. I bought DoA. I hope I don't regret my purchase

Thanks for your opinions guys [​IMG]

20. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    DoA for the boobs [​IMG]