So 20 hours for a game is short now...?

celeron53

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i laughed at how he just ended his post with "Annnnd..... should I buy Pilotwings?" hahhahahhahah
rofl.gif

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I grew up with the classics of NES and SNES, so yes, IMO 20 hours is a short game if you haven't played it before and you're not using a guide...It's not really fair to compare today's games with a classic game that you have played numerous times. 25 hours on your fifth playthrough is a far cry different than a 25 hour game on your first playthrough.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
20 is not short now. It is short, period. In the retro era, games were fucked up long. So 20 hours is short.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Law said:
Depravo said:
It depends on the type of game. 20 hours is OK for a fast-paced shooty/action type game but not for an RPG. I would consider any RPG that lasted me less than 50 hours to be a 'short' game.

So how many hours have you pumped into Just Cause 2 so far?
Over 100 in total but that's because I'm such an OCD completionist. When I replayed the game in 'Hardcore' mode for the last couple of trophies it only took around 12 hours.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
20 hours of game play is the minimum for a full priced game, though for me this rule generally applies to PC and console games which are in every aspect supposed to be bigger. I am not going to go out and slap down 80 dollars for a game with a stupidly short single player mode, especially shooters. I was pretty content with Borderlands though, at 50 bucks with all the DLC available at the time, I put in 24 hours just on my first play through without doing any of the additional content. I am on my second play through now and am doing the extra stuff as I go and trying to get 100% by getting all the missions completed. I estimate I will put in a good 60 hours to complete everything after my second play through is done.

The length of a game does matter, 20 hours is pretty short and I don't mind it so much for portable games, having 20 hours just to play through the story or whatever and then having lots of online and extra things to do (Pokemon is a prime example), it winds up being considerably longer then it should be. I think people also, especially the older gaming population, tend to equate the length of game time by it's difficulty. Back when we had no saves and games were actually pretty hard (Contra anyone?), the length of time you would have to spend to beat certain games equates to being about the same as easier games that are just naturally longer because you can save and don't have to start from the freaking beginning when you lose.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Law said:
Depravo said:
It depends on the type of game. 20 hours is OK for a fast-paced shooty/action type game but not for an RPG. I would consider any RPG that lasted me less than 50 hours to be a 'short' game.

So how many hours have you pumped into Just Cause 2 so far?

Oh boy.....I just started Just cause 2........I just gave it a try really because I' m almost done with Assassin Creed II ( I' m going for 100% completeness, but those damn feathers are really hard to find ! ) and I can see myself spending a long, long time on JC2 !
And by the way, I'm not really a fan of open word ,exploration and freedom to waste an unlimited time of hours a la GTA, I'm more for a classic , linear PoP experience, but JC2 is cool because it uses a grappling hook a la Bionic Commando, so I have to play it !

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silly to judge a game by how long it is. I remember paying $50 for Super Mario 3. I remember when people would finish a game in an hour or two...and then just play it again...and again... What the hell happened to the average gamer's attention span?

As far as games like CoD and such being 6-10 hours single player, the multiplayer must also be considered. Sure you may only get a week or two out of the campaign (assuming you're a normal person with normal person responsibilities and only play for an hour or two a night a few nights a week...) but with the multiplayer you can infinitely extend the play time. If you get bored with it...don't know what to tell you. Maybe if you didn't concern yourself with having to play every single "big" game that came out you could get more out of the few you do play.

The problem is, people now want to play games for hours at a time. It's sad to see people say stuff like "I expect to pay $1 per hour...". Do something other than sit in front of your TV/PC screen for hours at a time. If I take my wife to the movies, I don't expect to get 10 hours of movie (8 hours for a matinee...). Games are supposed to be a casual escape, not a life's goal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...