Homebrew Snes9x GX and SMB support

Richy Freeway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone have any idea how to get this loading roms over the network? According to the sparse documentation I need to edit snes9xGX.xml

I can't find this file anywhere and I have no idea what to put it in if I were to create it from scratch.

IceRentoraa29

Don't get in between a kid and his ice cream cone.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to run SNES9x first then it should be in the saves folder on your SD card. As for getting it to actually work, someone else will have to tell you how cause I haven't gotten that far
wacko.gif

Richy Freeway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I've got my share set up with some roms in, it's not password protected.

I've edited the SNES9xGX.xml file with the following.

CODE
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ

Try to load a game and Snes9x GX tells me

QUOTE said:
Invalid network settings. Check SNES9xGX.xml.

Any ideas?

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did you ever get this working? I've gotten past that part by putting something into the username/pass fields but I get failed to find network share error instead.

Takaishi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
poster-takaishi.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Im ussing this settings:

The d$ is the D: drive on my computer (ussing administrative share), but it could be any shared folder.

Takaishi is my username, and you need the password for your user on that computer.

Also, i changed the load and save folder. The complete route to the roms (on my computer) is d:\emuladores\snes.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If they're on my PC I have easy backup and can add new games without fiddling with an SD card reader and moving the card around and such.

I got it working now, but some roms won't load that do load via SD. :<

Edit- fixed. Permissions issue.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well had a few problems like the other users here. seems it really wanted a user/pass for samba support.
went to my mediacenter/storage server and added a wii account. entered in the user/pass and all was fine.

i assume those of us who are using it are using it because of massive rom collections. a little tip from myself is:
i keep all my roms goodmerged. i ungoodmerged them, and then separated them by region *usa, eur, jpn-translated, and beta. im usa region* kept the jpn, eur, betas in their own folders, but the usa list is way too big for one directory (around 25-30 seconds to open the folder) i separated all the roms into one directory for each letter. the largest directory (S) now opens in under 3 seconds. great improvement for the speed of using smb.
i will be setting up a similar setup using gba roms. *if vba supports smb, which i hope/assume it does*

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MisterMooth said:
Argh, someone needs to create a tutorial on how to get SMB shares working.

the information is here in this thread.
Takaishi showed what settings are on his system.

Heres what you need to know (using Takaishi's settings as an example).
You need to the servers ip (192.168.1.100)
You need to know the location of the files and the name of the folder shared (in his case, his entire "D" drive is shared, and the games are located in "d:/emuladores/snes" also note he is using an admin share address, the "d$" normally it would just be "d")
Also note you must use an account that has a user name and password. If your default windows account doesn't have a password tied to it, just create a new account in windows.

maxquiere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Takaishi said:
Im ussing this settings:

The d$ is the D: drive on my computer (ussing administrative share), but it could be any shared folder.

Takaishi is my username, and you need the password for your user on that computer.

Also, i changed the load and save folder. The complete route to the roms (on my computer) is d:\emuladores\snes.

i have a big problem trying this...

i load the snes emu with the homebrew channel
and in this mode its only possible to load games from sd card..

is there any hint how you run the snes emu on your wii? which boot method? zelda hack?

because i tried to change the load entry and it errored and has the syntax fat:\ before..

i tried

this is right

or not?

please help me

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I launch snes through a custom channel wad. make sure the rom settings in snes are set to network, and NOT auto. (on auto it will look in the sd card)

also yes smb support works in vista. my media center/media server is running vista.

B

BryceOne

hartleyshc said:
I launch snes through a custom channel wad. make sure the rom settings in snes are set to network, and NOT auto. (on auto it will look in the sd card)

also yes smb support works in vista. my media center/media server is running vista.

Can you explain breifly how you set it up? I have vista set up to share folders and it works using my XBOX, and I've edited the XML file but SNES9XGP still gives error..

Destian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to be having the same problem as BryceOne. I've never had any trouble creating shares for other computers or for my xbox360 (which I use to watch movies in the living room), but this is giving me some trouble.

What Username/Pass should I be using? The login info I use to sign into Vista when I turn my computer on? I have tried using this info, both with and without WORKGROUP\ preceding it.

Also, should I not be using the entire path to the share? ie \\ComputerName\ShareName ? I have tried this, as well as just ShareName.

Here is what I think should be working:

CODE

or:

CODE

Can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Takaishi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
poster-takaishi.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Mexico
The error say something like can't connect to SMB:\\Computername\snes9x\snes9x ? (double snes9x)

If yes, check this lines

This folders should be on the next level of the "smbshare" value.

If you have the roms on: C:\games\snes9x\roms then you can share the folder \snes9x and use that on smbshare, also you need to change "loadfolder" value to "roms"

And check your firewall settings.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the info
biggrin.gif

My Wii is away getting a new drive, but tomorrow I'm getting 2 Xboxs (Original not 360s).
I'm loving this idea because I think if all the roms and saves are kept on the pc, they can be played (same save files) from different machines. You could hack a rom on the pc and reload and test in on the Wii etc.
biggrin.gif

I tried once to set this up (SMB share for HBL), but I only gave it about 3 minutes and failed, I had other more important things then forgot, but with this info I'm sure I'll get it sorted as soon as my wii's back
biggrin.gif

So.....

Nes, Snes, GB, GBC & GBA.

Can't remember but sure the N64 emu had an SMB option too.

Destian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Takaishi said:
The error say something like can't connect to SMB:\\Computername\snes9x\snes9x ? (double snes9x)

If yes, check this lines

This folders should be on the next level of the "smbshare" value.

If you have the roms on: C:\games\snes9x\roms then you can share the folder \snes9x and use that on smbshare, also you need to change "loadfolder" value to "roms"

And check your firewall settings.

If I could get to that point I think I'd be ok, but it just says "Failed to connect to Network Share. Press A to continue."

Should I have my computer name before the share name? It doesn't look like you have it in the info you posted earlier.

I'm using Vista's built in firewall and have no idea what to look for. FTPii works fine so there is definitely a connection. This is driving me a little crazy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte