Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Billy said.

New 3DS already has much better options for SNES emulation. No sense for me to go that path and redo what others have done and end up being worse off. :)

But I am really curious though, isn't PocketSNES / CATSFC already very good for New 3DS? I don't have a New 3DS so I can't say for sure.

For the most part, they're pretty good choices for SNES emulation on the New 3DS, although I find that fullscreen transparency effects slow down even the New 3DS a bit on CATSFC. I go back and forth between the two.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't be the only one who has this emulator installed on an N3DS as well an O3DS.

Aside from the active development, the autofire options alone make this better than any Retroarch option in some cases.

Major big thanks to everyone involved with this!

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

What Billy said.

New 3DS already has much better options for SNES emulation. No sense for me to go that path and redo what others have done and end up being worse off. :)

But I am really curious though, isn't PocketSNES / CATSFC already very good for New 3DS? I don't have a New 3DS so I can't say for sure.

@matheus abreu - Thank you for pointing this out. Will have a look at it!
PocketSNES is not THE best. The main differences is that your emulator looks 99% more like Nintendo's emulator and frame skips barely. PocketSNES although it has a Tiney bit more power, looks only 67% look a fully flushed Nintendo emulator.

That's why I seem to be using this on my N3DS as well because it has better performance on games because it was optimized for the 3DS. It looks nicer and cleaner.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PocketSNES is not THE best. The main differences is that your emulator looks 99% more like Nintendo's emulator and frame skips barely. PocketSNES although it has a Tiney bit more power, looks only 67% look a fully flushed Nintendo emulator.

That's why I seem to be using this on my N3DS as well because it has better performance on games because it was optimized for the 3DS. It looks nicer and cleaner.

what do you mean by 67% look like a nintendo emulator?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can't be the only one who has this emulator installed on an N3DS as well an O3DS.

Aside from the active development, the autofire options alone make this better than any Retroarch option in some cases.

Major big thanks to everyone involved with this!
i'm not sure, but i think retroarch has autofire options hidden somewhere in the input options?

Reactions: astronautlevel
D

Deleted User

what do you mean by 67% look like a nintendo emulator?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i'm not sure, but i think retroarch has autofire options hidden somewhere in the input options?
The quality of images it produces

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pocketsnes is the only new3ds snes emulator? I thought there were 3 retroarch snes emulators for new3ds as well as snes vc rom injects.

Last edited by cvskid,

Rfire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A couple ideas:

Perhaps add the ability to bind keys to save state/load state (slot 0 or some other predetermined slot). I know that SNES games often use all buttons and that only the Home button would theoretically be "free" but some games don't make use of the L-R buttons and in those situations it would be convenient to bind save/load to those.

EDIT: Or if the D-pad is considered a separate input from the stick, perhaps allow binding those as 4 separate keys. So the stick can be used for SNES Up,down,left,right and the D-pad could optionally be used for other functions like Up=Quicksave Down=Quickload.

And/or keep a touchscreen context item up at all times while the game is running that can be used to quickly save/load. Like the black screen that shows FPS, add in "Quick save state" "Quick load state" items.

Either would be more ideal than having to tap the screen and do an additional tap to save or load IMO. I don't know if either is possible without performance hits, but if not it would be a nice convenience.

Last edited by Rfire,
Reactions: cvskid and Tebra

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NTSC toms run at 60fps, PAL at 50fps, but Snes9x has an option to make any rom run at 60fps so there's no real big difference. If you're interested in using cheats, just use the version that has more cheats available

it actually makes a difference, since many pal games were altered to run faster / move characters faster / speed up music to mask the 10 frame difference.
use us games when the game runs at 60 frames without a problem, check into eu games when it doesnt.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple ideas:

Perhaps add the ability to bind keys to save state/load state (slot 0 or some other predetermined slot). I know that SNES games often use all buttons and that only the Home button would theoretically be "free" but some games don't make use of the L-R buttons and in those situations it would be convenient to bind save/load to those.

EDIT: Or if the D-pad is considered a separate input from the stick, perhaps allow binding those as 4 separate keys. So the stick can be used for SNES Up,down,left,right and the D-pad could optionally be used for other functions like Up=Quicksave Down=Quickload.

And/or keep a touchscreen context item up at all times while the game is running that can be used to quickly save/load. Like the black screen that shows FPS, add in "Quick save state" "Quick load state" items.

Either would be more ideal than having to tap the screen and do an additional tap to save or load IMO. I don't know if either is possible without performance hits, but if not it would be a nice convenience.
Also for the emulator to remember what rom directory you last used.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pretty impressed with this, although I noticed an issue with the .cia installed version.
If you suspend the software by pressing the home button, and close the 3DS lid to put it into sleep mode, the system won't wake back up.
This forces you to restart your system with a hard power-off.
It won't happen if you just put your system into sleep without suspending the software, or suspend and then close the software though.
It's just something to be careful about.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple ideas:

I wouldn't expect much in the way of features like that for awhile, what with the focus being on optimization/performance right now

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@discodance77 - If the NTSC suffers too much frameskipping to be enjoyable, consider using the PAL version. They run at 50 fps, which means your old 3DS has less frames to emulate and generally results in better performance.

@RupeeClock - Yes for now you'll just have to remember not to close the lid. :lol: Sometime later I hope to fix that.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please read the thread and use the search option before asking questions
next time, kindly also answer the question while you tell people about the search function

Does SuperMarioKart work on old DS
it does, though its not perfect. the more items/racers/pipes/whomps you see on your screen, the more frames it will skip. the pal version is very much playable, never tried the us but i guess it has to skip more frames.

Cliftin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to run a SMW hack with custom music and such, in this the frameskips make it run weird, but if I turn it all the way off then I lose about 20 frames. But in blargSNES it works fine, but it has its own issues that this actually fixes. If this could fix the laggy movement issues with frameskips that's be nice.

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I've been trying to run a SMW hack with custom music and such, in this the frameskips make it run weird, but if I turn it all the way off then I lose about 20 frames. But in blargSNES it works fine, but it has its own issues that this actually fixes. If this could fix the laggy movement issues with frameskips that's be nice.
Which hack are you trying to play, some of the smw hacks have heavy sprites and custom graphics, so it hangs with this emulator..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Murica