Homebrew snes9X 4.0.3

Fun_Zephyr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

I have an issue with snes9x detecting my SD Card. I have tried a few different SD Cards but no luck. The Wii detects that cards fine and I can backup data to it no problems through the Wii Menu.

I have snes9x loading from a DvD Rom. I am not soft moded in any way. I am on the official 4.2E System Menu and have a WiiKey v2 installed. I place the disc in teh Wii and it is detected as a GameCube Game. Clicking start results in a menu showing with the Roms. I can load the roms, I can save the SRAM, Snapshots etc to a gamecube memory card no issues but if I change the settings to use the SD Card when I go to save it sates no SD Card detected.

I have the relevent folder structure in place

snes9x\saves
snes9x\roms
snes9x\cheats

I want to save to the SD card as the game cube memory card only holds about 59 blocks. If I try to save to my 128Mb game cube memory card - which has 1000's of blocks - the files look corrupted showing yyyyyyyyyyyy as the save file name. It would have been sweet to be able to save to this 128Mb card but I can't. I can safely copy snes9x saves to it form the Wii Menu and I can restore from it but snes9x saving to it corrupts the save.

With no SD being detected, 128Mb card corrupting saves dircetly from snes9x it leave me with my very small memory card. I am hoping to be able to save to the SD if someone can tell me what I might be doing worng or why it is not detectable or even another alternative other than soft modding.

Would updating to a later snes9x version reolve this issue? If so I am not sure how to do this. I know hot to create an iso of the disc and I have a program that will allow me to modify the iso so if a later version is needed and it is as simple as copying files over the top of existing files, compiling the iso and burning it to dvd I can do that - just need to find the latest version of snes9x
smile.gif

Everything else works perfectly.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

P.s. Sorry - I think this belongs in Emulation. I WAS IN TEH WRONG Internet Explorer Tab when I clicked ADD.

Edit - I also tried updating the DvD with the latest 4.1.1 snes9x for game cube but the bol file is not only on the root of the DvD but also in the Boot_NoEmulation.img file. Normally I would open the IMG file with Magic Iso Maker - have always done in the past but when I try opening this one it errors stating it is not a cd file. Without being able to update the img file I can't move off 4.0.3.

Can anyone advise what files are required to make a bootable dvd for GameCube on the Wii?

Fun_Zephyr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I did a little bit of reading and I found out how to make a new GameCube Boot disc. I updated to snes9x 4.1.1 (snes9xgx-gc.dol) - Latest GameCube Version as far as I am aware - and I still have the same issue with it not detecting the SD card.

Is there something I am doing worng or not doing or additional files I need to add to make the SD card detected? There should be no issue as the read me file states there is SD card support for the game cube version.

I would really appreciate some help or if it can't be done with my environment then please also advise and I can stop looking for an answer.

Thanks in advance

EDIT - Sorry, I just realised I should have edited the first message and not replied.

EDIT 2: What is the largest GameCube memory card that can be used? As stated above my 128Mb card has corrupt files on it. I can save and it states it saved OK but when you try to load it wil lnot and errors with something to to with unzip and something about freeze. You click ok and can move on but nothing saves.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first make sure you are using the wii version. when the dol is compiled, it makes a wii and a GC version. if you are using the correct version and it still deosnt work, there is something else you can do...

if you are not wanting to install any homebrew at all on the wii, just put the elf (not dol) for snes9x on the root of your sd. then run bannerbomb from the sd menu. it will start snes9x and not install 1 little bit of hombrew on the will and will leave no evidence of it in any way, shape, or form. and using this method will allow the sd card to be used for running roms and for saving stuff.

Fun_Zephyr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for your response. I will try the boot.dol from the Wii Version instead of the GameCube dol version. If that does not fix my issue I will look into banner bomb.

I have never used banner bomb but I have seen enough guides on gbaTemp on how to do this. I believe I should be able to work it out if needed.

Fun_Zephyr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I do have a question about using the Wii snes9x version. DO I simply place that boot.dol in place of the one I was using for the game cube but still make a gamecube bootable disc or do I have to make a Wii bootable disc?

mkisofs.exe -R -J -G C:\gamecube\gbi.hdr -no-emul-boot -b bootldr.dol -o gcdisc.iso C:\gamecube

Above is the cmd line I use to make the gamecube iso image and then burn iso to dvd and it boots snes9x as a GameCube game. However, when I do the exact same line but use the Wii version of the dol file when placed in the Wii it gets detected as a GameCube Game but black screens. (Makes sense it woudl black screen as why would a Wii dol work under a gamecube bootable disc - but I still have to ask)

What is the file required to make a Wii Bootable disc? Any hints in the right file name and I can google the file?

I know banner bomb is there but being able to go straight off a DvD is much more convenient
smile.gif

EDIT: Got it working perfectly using Bannerbomb for for Wii System 4.2.

1. I would still really like to be able to create a bootable version of the Wii snes9x (like the bootable GameCube Version) so any help would be appreciated
- For two reasons - knowledge purposes and in case bannerbomb ever gets blocked...

2. If a Bootable Wii version of snes9x is not possible - then I revert back to the GameCube Version questions of why won't it read the SD slot?
- Issue explained as above

Thanks in advance and hoping for some more help on these last two points
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: