Homebrew snes vc injects, should I sell my super famicom?

ninfas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need some advice.

I (like many people) have always wanted a portable device that can play snes back up roms like the real snes console. There have been so many excellent retro portable devices that play emulators very well, however the snes has always been difficult to emulate so I bought an actual super famicom and am saving up for a sd2snes card to play the backups on the console.

However with snes vc injections on a new 3DS XL, have we finally got a portable device that can play the snes games perfectly like on the real console? I know that games that require special chips like super mario rpg are not supported but that is not too much of a concern (to me) as these games are small in number.

I love the idea of playing snes games flawlessly on a snes edition n3ds XL as it is a Nintendo device and and has the snes theme.

Should I sell my Super Famicom now? and buy a n3ds XL or are we still waiting for the perfect snes retro handheld?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
to be honest, the o3ds does perfectly enough with snes9x for o3ds.
and i think a n3ds runs even the chip games.

yeah, there's probably minor sound differences and a skipped frame every once in a while, but how often does that difference even matter? (and i feel like these are existent in the vc games too)

anyways, beyond that, there's smartphones with bluetooth controllers that probably play games even better due to all that hardware power.

should you sell your famicom? no idea... does that even bring you any meaningful cash?

Craftyawesome

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super FX games need snes9x for 3ds. Star fox runs too fast and has latency issues with frameskip. Yoshi's island is fine except for credits and a few minor title screen issues. Most other popular games run fine.
I personally don't run injects. I use snes9x 2005 plus for games without chips, snes9x 2005 for games wirh minor chips/fake 3d, and snes9x for 3ds for super fx games.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ultimately in the end do you Care about the issues you'll encounter w/ emulation (Speed issues glitches graphical bugs) and few minor niche issues like if an Emulator fails certain checks (I.E. Earthbound's Copy Protection effects.) or are you into the retro Scene where the feel of playing on the real console feels or seems to you, Better?

if your only doing it for the Pure sake of portability, then dont just for teh sake of it, you can w/ a lil work interchange saves between an SD2SNES and VC/3DS Emulator. in the terms of "Perfect Portable SNES Handheld" ?unless its a bulky hacked up lil job literally doing something outta what you'd expect outta someone like Ben Heck, then i wouldn't call Any emulation "Perfect" (you wont see really near cycle accurate (the closest emulation will get to 100% Perfect) on anything portable too easily except maybe for hig end mobile devices or future ones as Higan/BSnes can give a somewhat lower end PC a run for it's money. (correct me if im wrong but isnt there actually a Bsnes core for retroarch ? i think i once saw something for one but doubt its based on the cycle accurate branch and would be based on the performance branch. )

soprano1

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sell it to me, OP. Ha ha ha.:lol:
Honestly now, if you have working original hardware, use it. If you can't afford certain games, and the SNES/SFC market is absolutely ridiculous in terms of prices, play them on a good emulator, or get that flashcart you mentioned.

Last edited by soprano1,

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
That question is like asking "I can walk, should I sell my car?"
both perform the same task (playing snes games/transportation), but one is better than the other(the snes can play everything perfectly while the 3ds has problem with some titles/walking can't get you very far but the car can).
If you are in need of some cash and can live without your snes then you should sell it, but you better not repent after.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Microsoft is worth 3.2 Trillion according to Google lol